Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I dont get why so many dislike that the limit was lowered for an event where all the fish were released. Its not like all the fish were fried in a fish fry following the event. The event brought in a bunch of immediate $$ to the tourism industries as well as exposure which could help future $$ in the area. It even seemed everyone was lobbying to bring the event back.

Why is that so bad ? Its a one time a year deal.

2. Member
    Why change the rules for a select few? If you cant compete under the same rules as everyone else why should the rules be changed? Could $$$$ be in the equation somewhere? We are plagued with enough tourist here already especially during the summer.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    Why change the rules for a select few? If you cant compete under the same rules as everyone else why should the rules be changed? Could $$$$ be in the equation somewhere? We are plagued with enough tourist here already especially during the summer.
    Sure $ was a factor as well as just the sheer size of FLW field. I’m not a fan of the reduction but it isn’t the end of the world. Some on another site would have you believe it’s the worst thing ever, one guy even wanted to protest
    I challenge anyone and everyone to show me 20 12” bass weighing 70lbs. 60 lbs for that matter. I’m more concerned about live bait striper fishermen dragging up 5lb smallmouth out of 40’ of water, that’s a dead fish generally.

4. Member
    My biggest concern, what was the release plan on all these fish? Did they go back in at bum side? Did they go back to the end of the lake they came from?

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cbp84 View Post
    My biggest concern, what was the release plan on all these fish? Did they go back in at bum side? Did they go back to the end of the lake they came from?
    Not sure about the ones flw released but I believe they claim to distribute throughout lake. Otherwise they would just have a truck instead of pontoon. I have no idea about the ones kdfwr collected, probably took them to herrington

6. Banned
    I should also add that plenty of mega tournies are won at the dam and fish released at the burnside ramp

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    I should also add that plenty of mega tournies are won at the dam and fish released at the burnside ramp
    Yeah I know, I want my fish back lol

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cbp84 View Post
    Yeah I know, I want my fish back lol
    I do too!!!!!!!!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    I’m not a fan of the reduction but it isn’t the end of the world. Some on another site would have you believe it’s the worst thing ever, one guy even wanted to protest.
    As I recall you like myself weren’t very happy about it either. One of the pros told me the ones that were pissed off about it were pissed because they weren’t getting any money out of it which was a dumb*ss thing to say & I told him that almost everyone thought they should have to obey by the same rules as we did & how most of us thought about the smallmouth there. He also said it was good for tv & that money talked in this case.
    Last edited by Les Young; 04-16-2018 at 06:11 AM.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    As I recall you like myself weren’t very happy about it either. One of the pros told me the ones that were pissed off about it were pissed because they weren’t getting any money out of it which was a dumb*ss thing to say & I told him that almost everyone thought they should have to obey by the same rules as we did & how most of us thought about the smallmouth there. He also said it was good for tv & that money talked in this case.
    I didn't like the size limit reduction, still don't. First kdfwr has done a poor job of explaining their reasoning, second the pro's didn't need it.

Ask the people that rented houses, rooms, sold food, and gas if they enjoyed the past week.. I thought a minimum length limit was for the people that plan to eat the fish... What does it matter if they weigh it and let it go?

12. Member
    Question here. So all these fish being moved from the Dam area to Burnside area......Ok then why do people still consistently catch bigger bags down towards the Dam? Do the fish swim all the way back? Is the fish population so much better down the lake that the fish brought to Conley or Burnside just doesn't affect it as much? Time and time again the Dam area has recently and in past history been the better area, especially for smallmouth. I know you can catch them up the lake at times.

13. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    What does it matter if they weigh it and let it go?
    My thoughts exactly.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I dont get why so many dislike that the limit was lowered for an event where all the fish were released. Its not like all the fish were fried in a fish fry following the event. The event brought in a bunch of immediate $$ to the tourism industries as well as exposure which could help future $$ in the area. It even seemed everyone was lobbying to bring the event back.

Why is that so bad ? Its a one time a year deal.
    I saw all kinds of 17” smallmouth weighed & simple fact they are supposed to be “the best in the world”according to FLW so why should they get a size limit reduction? Any of us that fish tournaments have to throw back 17&3/4” smallmouth everyday, but they can weigh them in just for show which in turn will increase the already heavy pressure on the lake. That & we think a lot of our 18” plus smallmouth that are at times hard to come by. I’m still 100% against it & always will be against a bunch of grown men who are suppose to be so good being treated differently then the locals that spend our dollars locally every time we go to the lake & if anybody thinks we don’t spend a bunch of money in a years time chasing those 18” plus smallmouth they’re crazy. I personally think Green should have bigger size limits too because their are some huge fish there including smallmouth.

15. Member
    Very well said Les!!! its all about the money and changing the rules to exploit a resource!!!
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    What does it matter if they weigh it and let it go?
    +10000
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

I generally agree with Les. Why is it the PRO's get an exemption? They of all people shouldn't need it, right? The obvious answer is most likely the correct answer, regardless of what the KDFWR says they are "studying". That answer is the almighty $$$.

Unless...do you think the KDFWR is planning for future bass population boom due to increased successful spawning, and is actually considering a 12" limit to help control bass populations and maintain the quality of the fishery? Doubtful, but the only other reasoning I can figure.

I guess I am a hypocrite because I did drive 2.5 hrs with my 4 kids to watch the weigh-in in the rain...I guess I only helped to validate their decision!

Life goes on!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    I saw all kinds of 17” smallmouth weighed & simple fact they are supposed to be “the best in the world”according to FLW so why should they get a size limit reduction? Any of us that fish tournaments have to throw back 17&3/4” smallmouth everyday, but they can weigh them in just for show which in turn will increase the already heavy pressure on the lake. That & we think a lot of our 18” plus smallmouth that are at times hard to come by. I’m still 100% against it & always will be against a bunch of grown men who are suppose to be so good being treated differently then the locals that spend our dollars locally every time we go to the lake & if anybody thinks we don’t spend a bunch of money in a years time chasing those 18” plus smallmouth they’re crazy. I personally think Green should have bigger size limits too because their are some huge fish there including smallmouth.
    Well of course its about money.. FLW wants to put on a good show and they felt it would be better for the show to lower the limit. The event probably provides a very substantial economic impact for the community so they allowed the exception. Most likely the events you fish probably don't have the impact thus they aren't lowering the limits.

Yeah the study part is probably something that was designed on the fly to cover the real reason but it still doesn't mean they cant find a way to get some benefit from it. Ultimately 100% of the fish were let go and its a 1 time a year thing. Size limits are set to allow anglers to keep fish of a certain size which hopefully keeps the supply healthy. In this situation they were ALL released.

I saw where a guy that frequents the boards weighed 17+ yesterday to win their tourney and they didn’t have any provision that I’m aware of.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Most likely the events you fish probably don't have the impact thus they aren't lowering the limit
    Nope they don’t not all at one time, but the amount most spend a year fishing them I would be willing to say would surprise you. Most buy a lot of baits, terminal tackle, gas & food etc. They also don’t expect a size reduction either & if they did drop the size limit it would make a big change in tournament fishing for sure on Cumberland. I remember when it went from 12 to 15 for largemouth back in the 80s.Heck I wish it would go to 18 for largemouth now too. Oh by the way it did make for good tv, but I just wish they wouldn’t make it any different for them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast