Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sporty or Torque? Bassport

Ok guys I have ordered my new Bassport and I am debating on what LU I should get. This will be a fishing boat and will always have stuff in it and I really dont want to go 90mph so I am leaning toward Torquemaster. What do yall say?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by traybird View Post
    Ok guys I have ordered my new Bassport and I am debating on what LU I should get. This will be a fishing boat and will always have stuff in it and I really dont want to go 90mph so I am leaning toward Torquemaster. What do yall say?
    I understand the not going 90 part but I would personally not go TM unless it was a required for the platinum warranty. The boat will carry all you want load in it super well with the SM, there is no chance of a blowout with a SM if you get up to a faster speeds like 85, and the resell on a SM is much better should you ever trade motors or boats. Bottom like is there is no downside in my opinion to a Sportmaster on an Allison Bassport.

3. Member
    Sportmaster all day. I’d want a sporty even if I put a 150 on one. Allison likes the motor high due to the lip
    Last edited by xb03fs; 04-03-2018 at 03:46 PM.

What they said

Good to know! Thanks guys!

6. Member
    I have ran my boat extremely loaded and the SM carries it great.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

7. Member
    What is the best prop to run with a SM and a 250 Sport Merc to run with a tournament load and 2 people?
    My partners new Bassport Pro Elite came with a 28p Bravo and we are running 78 fully loaded, I assume it can go more
    RETIRED NAVY CWO4 SUBMARINER
    2019 Basscat Eyra

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassgod View Post
    What is the best prop to run with a SM and a 250 Sport Merc to run with a tournament load and 2 people?
    My partners new Bassport Pro Elite came with a 28p Bravo and we are running 78 fully loaded, I assume it can go more
    I have had 2 different Bassport's with a Sport 250 and A Pro XS. In tournaments I ran a very loaded boat with both a 26 Hydro Quad IV and it would easily run 83-84 on a hot summer day. Joe Lee's boat, which was my last one before the new one, has a 27" prop on it and it is a beast and runs like a scalded ape.

9. Member
    My first boat had a 250 SHO on it with a stock gearcase would run 84-85 mph. This is a large gear case like a torque master so if you are going to run that speed I think a torque master will work fine. If your going to push it up to 90 maybe not but I would like to see for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassgod View Post
    What gear ratio are you running? I run 1.75's and loaded with 4 adults and all my tackle can run 80/81 with a 28 Bravo XS under good conditions. I run 84 with 2 and 86.1 solo with the same prop. I mainly fish with a 30 Promax and can run 88-90 loaded with 2 pretty easy and have run 93.3 solo with all my tackle.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Quote Originally Posted by traybird View Post
    Sporty would be my first choice for sure. Good luck and congrats on the new boat order! We need pics when you pick it up please!
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

12. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Hey guys....Traybird is a veteran Allison owner from years ago!!! He knows his stuff too. Good to see ya back Tray. Teb Jones ran a Pro for a few years with a TM gearcase and was in the mid 80's with no problems. He fished the BASS Opens and qualified for the Classic in 2015 fishing from his XB21 Pro single console. In fact, I see it for sale in the boats forum.

Tray, you looking for warranty with a Pro XS or just playing it safe for BASS??
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

13. Member
    Would running a stock 250 SHO on a Bassport Pro elite give you expected mid 80 mph performance with 2 people and tourney load?
    What prop would be best for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    I have had 2 different Bassport's with a Sport 250 and A Pro XS. In tournaments I ran a very loaded boat with both a 26 Hydro Quad IV and it would easily run 83-84 on a hot summer day. Joe Lee's boat, which was my last one before the new one, has a 27" prop on it and it is a beast and runs like a scalded ape.
    RETIRED NAVY CWO4 SUBMARINER
    2019 Basscat Eyra

I have the 250 Sport XS with 1.62 gears. If I had it to do all over again I would go with the 250 Pro XS. #1 would be for the warranty, #2 would be for the higher water pick ups. I carry extra thermostat gaskets and 2 torque wrenches everywhere I go. With the low water pick ups on the Sporty in shallow water I constantly pick up debris and it gets stuck in the thermostats. When it does that, the engine can not build heat and I run the risk of a cold seize. With the Pro XS/Torque Master LU you can run a 27 Fury 3, IMHO one of the best fishing props made for that setup. Teb Jones has rave reviews using the Pro XS and 27 Fury prop. When I talked to Teb about the two different lower units he told me the main reason he went with the Pro XS was for the factory support at the BASS Open Tournaments. The support trailer does not stock the Sporty lower unit.
    Brian Schuler
    USMC Retired

A true Hero gets out of bed every morning and goes about lifes daily tasks unnoticed, unassuming, and unsung.

A true Hero takes on responsibility, speaks kindly, acts fairly, endures patiently. And facing every day with simple strength.

A true Hero persists in the things that really matter.

2013 Allison BasSport Pro Elite
    Mercury 250 Sport XS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pops77s View Post
    I have the 250 Sport XS with 1.62 gears. If I had it to do all over again I would go with the 250 Pro XS. #1 would be for the warranty, #2 would be for the higher water pick ups. I carry extra thermostat gaskets and 2 torque wrenches everywhere I go. With the low water pick ups on the Sporty in shallow water I constantly pick up debris and it gets stuck in the thermostats. When it does that, the engine can not build heat and I run the risk of a cold seize. With the Pro XS/Torque Master LU you can run a 27 Fury 3, IMHO one of the best fishing props made for that setup. Teb Jones has rave reviews using the Pro XS and 27 Fury prop. When I talked to Teb about the two different lower units he told me the main reason he went with the Pro XS was for the factory support at the BASS Open Tournaments. The support trailer does not stock the Sporty lower unit.
    I'm a fan of the SM as I posted above, however, I will agree it's a pain with the way it sucks up debris that gets lodge in the t-stats. For those of us that fish the shallow rivers, it's a constant struggle.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Hey guys....Traybird is a veteran Allison owner from years ago!!! He knows his stuff too. Good to see ya back Tray. Teb Jones ran a Pro for a few years with a TM gearcase and was in the mid 80's with no problems. He fished the BASS Opens and qualified for the Classic in 2015 fishing from his XB21 Pro single console. In fact, I see it for sale in the boats forum.

Tray, you looking for warranty with a Pro XS or just playing it safe for BASS??
    I am just playing it safe for BASS

Quote Originally Posted by pops77s View Post
    That is exactly what Teb told me as well Pops, I didnt even think about the low water pick ups tho here on the Sabine. Ill have to give that some thought as I had just made my mind up to go with the Sporty.

18. Member
    I had the new style tm on my last boat . I had alot of problems with it picking up debri .. to me the sm hasnt been as bad..

I've had both the Gen2 torque master and the Sporty. I got some trash in the TM twice in about 3 years, only once was from trash sucked out of the water. Once was a piece of forging from inside of the engine when it was new. I have been in some places down here in South Louisiana with a friend that I swear my Sporty would not have survived. SHALLOW! Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, getting unhung. Deeper water stuff is no problem with the Sporty, but you get in true skinny water and the low water pickups are sucking in mud rocks and wood. If your a performance nut go Sporty all the way if you are a tournament fisherman in shallow water my choice would be the TM. These are my on the water experiences and don't want to sway your decision in any way. I just want you to have pro's and con's from on the water experience so you can make an educated decision that works best for you.
    Brian Schuler
    USMC Retired

A true Hero gets out of bed every morning and goes about lifes daily tasks unnoticed, unassuming, and unsung.

A true Hero takes on responsibility, speaks kindly, acts fairly, endures patiently. And facing every day with simple strength.

A true Hero persists in the things that really matter.

2013 Allison BasSport Pro Elite
    Mercury 250 Sport XS

What kind of speeds do you get out of yours pops?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast