Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Who uses crappie niblets or bites?

First time in my life I bought some of the niblets or bites (whatever they are called). Threw them in my tackle bag and wasnt sure I would ever use them. On Saturday I spent the day at a Marina with my Dad, my grandfather and my two cousins who are both close to my age. I started the day out and thought what the heck Im going to use the niblets and within seconds had a crappie on the dock. Within about 10 minutes I had 7 crappie in the basket and only one other person had caught 1. I even took the niblets off and fished without and wasnt catching anything. Blew my mind!!! My grandfather and my dad both started using them and we caught 50 plus in about 2 hours. It was a blast! My cousins never touched the niblets and 1 fish was caught bewteen the two of them. I have crappie fished for about the last 15 of my 27 years and to this day still go at least 1-2 times a week. I hate to say it but im prob going to keep a stock of niblits at all times.

2. Member
    I'm real close to 'never' on Crappie Nibbles, but I have two buds (one passed) that each thought/think it is illegal, ill-advised and/or immoral to get a jig wet without one. I did used to have a Bait Pump and injected tubes with the Nibble paste, but just didn't care for the bother with the pellets on a hook. I mostly cast and didn't keep one on very long either. I can't say I noticed a difference one way or the other, but other guys swear by them. We both catch fish. You really had an eye-opening, memorable experience. Glad you had them with you and had such a great time.

3. Member
    I always have two or three scents on board and at times it can be the difference maker. I have one jar of nibbles but my partners generally have 3 or 4 jars each and they sometimes are also a difference maker.

4. Member
    nice to hear that the nibbles worked for you .

sounds like a fund day of catching .

Like my Dad says , the fish will tell you what they want to bite .

If I find the bite slow, I'll use them. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. Whenever I get a new jar, I spread them out on a paper plate and let them dry out some, then put them back in the jar. Drying them out a bit makes a skin on the outside tougher and they stay on the hook longer.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    If I find the bite slow, I'll use them. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. Whenever I get a new jar, I spread them out on a paper plate and let them dry out some, then put them back in the jar. Drying them out a bit makes a skin on the outside tougher and they stay on the hook longer.
    Good to know. Thanks for the tip!

I always use them vertical jigging but if swimming a jig I use Smelly Jelly scent which doesn't make the jig roll when retrieving. They sure seem to work for me.

Mark Welch Bossier Parish,LA. "Sportsman's Paradise"
    Check out my FB page https://www.facebook.com/Altered-IRO...4017377675928/
    '90 PROCroft 180, Mercury 150 xr4
    '03 WaterMoccasin pirogue 54lb. MotorGuide