2004 Xpress X17 Prop Help

Hi guys,

I need a little help on deciding what prop to get for my 2004 Xpress X17. I know the basics of props but my main concern is the brand i buy because it seems like on this forum a lot of guys recommend certain props a lot compared to the ones i have been looking at. My set up is as follows: 2004 Xpress X17 (1025 lbs)...2017 Tohatsu 115 motor (392 lbs)...18 gallons of gas (112 lbs)...two people (330 lbs)...tackle, food, etc (75 lbs). So approximately 2000 lbs total.

Right now i have a standard aluminum prop from tohatsu (13.2x19) which makes the boat go about 45 mph. I recently sold my old motor which was a Johnson 115 which had a stainless prop (I couldnt see the pitch on it so i dont know what it was or the diameter) and the boat would easily go 55 mph. The rpms max out at about 5600 but 5850 is the max. Just like all bass fisherman i am looking to get as much speed as possible out of the motor so the new prop i am going to buy will be stainless.

Right now the boat is bolted directly to the transom but i have a manual jack plate i never used. I was reading that this could help with the speed too.

When i search for tohatsu props it pretty much only shows Michigan Wheel and Solas. A lot of guys on this forum say to buy a Powertech, Fury, Raker, etc. So basically my question is, can you buy any brand of stainless prop as long as you buy the correct hub kit for the Tohatsu motor or do i need to stick with the Michigan Wheel or Solas? What brand do you recommend? And would going up to a 20 pitch give me more speed or would i lose too many rpms?

Thanks for your help everyone,
    Frank

2. Member
    No replies?? Wow. I don't have any experience with that set up
    or would be more than glad to help and answer your questions.
    Hopefully you got it figured out.

3. Member
    Probably won't help you any but I have a 2012 X17 with a 115 Yamaha, 13.5x21 Power tech prop and a 6" manual jack plate with the motor set 4" below and will turn just over 6000 rpm's and run 53.5 mph. The most recommended prop on this site was a Turbo prop. Could run a little higher because it's supposed to cut down the rpms by about 200 running the same pitch.

4. Member
    I would believe your info would be helpful. At least you attempted.