Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There was nothing between the Mean 15 and 16'8. Model list: 14', Mean 15, 16'8, 17'6, 18'4, 20'1 for the 86 inch beam boats.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    There was nothing between the Mean 15 and 16'8. Model list: 14', Mean 15, 16'8, 17'6, 18'4, 20'1 for the 86 inch beam boats.
    The only thing I can remember back then it was wider in the back than that mean 15. My buddy had the 16-8 Wish I had kept all the paper work. The champs that I've owned was mean 15, then some replacement, 17-6, 18-4,18-6,19-8,20-1,and 206 was my last one.

3. Member
    MMosher,do you no what that 14 was rated for ? Heck I was a young man back then it may have been one of them. It had a 70 on it

I think 75 hp. It didn't have a wedge rear hull. It was just square back.

5. Member
    My first bass boat was a 1985 mean 15 with a 75. Great little boat, bought it just out of high school. It was small but it had its advantages and rode great. Best memories I remember was being out in rough water and being able to keep up and sometimes pass the he guys with 150's. Traded it for a 1995 190 with a 200 in 97.

6. Member
    Thank you to everyone for your contributions so far. Good & helpful information.
    The only time I fished out of a mean 15 was back in the late ‘80s or early 90s. I was with a friend and his son (the son had bought the mean 15). They were both bigger tall guys and we all cast a productive shoreline, then across a mud flat to an underwater pit with some 12 foot depths and we all fished together fine. It was beautiful day however. That’s why I really appreciate the rough water info.
    Also thanks for the info on the 16 footers. I need to look at the 16 footers also. Maybe the early ‘80s 16 foot boat is more available for sale.

7. Member
    Luck and timing. I bought my Mean 15 off of a gentleman at 10:30 at night from a hospital bed. He had it listed for less than 30 minutes. I actually scared him when I called. I know you think I am telling a fish story, but I am not. They are that hard to find and I had to send my son and a friend to go pick it up, because he flat out told me that the person who laid the cash in his hand first, owns the boat. To say that he babied it, is an understatement. In fact, he put an all new steering system on it and a brand new VRO on the 150 Evinrude XP right before I bought it. It was more like adoption than a purchase. I send him pictures every other month. No matter where I take it, I inevitably get an offer to buy it. It is faster than anything you can imagine. Maybe too fast. I'll have to post some pictures up here when it get's back in town. That son of mine, who picked it up, has it down in Louisiana with a friend putting a whole new Structurescan in it. For me, the Mean 15 way more than a classic, its perfect.

Oh post some pictures of it.

9. Member
    That is awesome! Sounds like dream!

10. Member
    I just bought a 1986 Mean 15 with a 1986 Mercury Tower Of Power 90. Have had it on the water twice, both times Castaic Lake & 3 foot swells. The person I bought it from wasn't the type that kept things pretty, but kept things running. I fell in love with it the minute I saw it sitting in his driveway, at night with the garage light shining down on it. Had the motor gone thru & compression tested just fine. About to install 2 new Garmin Echomap Plus 73 CV/SV. Bought an old Thruster trolling motor for parts & fixed the R28 24/12 volt that came with it & works like it did the first time it was turned on. All lights & gauges work & installed 3 new Marine Heavy Duty batteries & cases alomg with a new MinnKota 3 bank charging system. After the holidays & the new electronics are installed, its another trip to the lake for testing everything out again because the Garmins will be able to communicate with each other & share what each sees in real time. Then it will go in for a new Carpet to be installed or taken out completely & sent to the shop for a new gel coat to the inside & leave it like salt water bay style boats, haven't decided on that just yet. I just know carpet get stinky & dirty to easy in a fishing enviroment. The trailer has new Goodyear tires, completely rewired, upgraded to LED lighting & is now submergible without having to unplug it. I had a 1974 Ranger 181B tri hull back in the day that was a great rough water boat that we would walleye fish Lake Erie, Detroit River & Lake St. Clair when mom boats would head in, this Champion could run circles around that boat in 3 foot swells without a drop of water hitting your face (I have no windshield either). It literally rides smoother in rouigh water the faster it goes & does'nt care if you drive along or across the top of the swells. I have never seen any boat that pops the front up out of the hole & comes down so fast stopping just above the tips of swells so only the last 2 feet of boat is touching the water, you feel everything thru the wheel & your ass that with what is happening with the boat as you maneuver around full out. When i'm done with her she will be the talk of the lake once again. It is a perfect boat for trailering, fishing & launching in tight places by yourself, driving & fishing in rough water & the build quality is there down to the rivets that retain the carpet moulding. Mine is rated for a 115hp which I will install when the current 90hp gets tired. Length is 15' 6" making it a little crowded for two if both bring a fridge style tackle box, 6 rods & a 2' foot colman cooler for lunch. If you keep it reasonably light two can fish no problem, & perfect with only one. Hope that helps you make up your mind.
    Lea how can I get a copy of the Brochure or /and owners manual

Robert Lafreniere
    Lomita, California
    1986 Champion Mean 15
    1986 Mercury Tower Of Power 90hp

Lots of fun with a 1fitty. Some of the guys were running 200's on em. A 2.5 150 would be the ticket when you go to repower.

12. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    ruudawg, post a new thread asking for manual. The manuals are not model specific, and often a manual is good for several years. ChampioNman might have one that covers your boat.

13. Member
    Thank you Lea, i will do just that. Hope everyone had a fine Christmas & continue to have a good & safe holiday
    Robert Lafreniere
    Lomita, California
    1986 Champion Mean 15
    1986 Mercury Tower Of Power 90hp

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I sent one to you on Sunday, check your spam folder.

15. Member
    1130191305b.jpg
    1979 Champion Mean 15.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    In 1988 there was a series called Super Champs. 15'6", 16'8" and 17'6". Rated HP 90, 140 and 150 respectively. No "Mean" anything. I don't have the 89 brochure, but in 1990, there is a Mean 15. It is possible certain models were made after the brochures came out. Have seen that in a couple of cases.
    Hope this helps.

Matt, why did you tell them I had the brochures? I wanted them to think I was brilliant...LOL!
    Do you have the brochure for the 1979 Mean 15?

17. Member
    I had a 1985 168 Super Champ with a 115 Mercury on it. Then I had a 1988 176 Super Champ with a Mercury 150 XR4 on it. I also had a 2000 Mean 15 with a 90 Mercury on it. All three of these boats had the 86” beam. Oh, I also had a 181DC with a 150 EFI Mercury on it. It too was a Mountain Home Champion with the 86” beam and the wedge hull. Those boats were some of the best bass boats ever made in those day’s.

18. Member
    I had an '84 16'8" with an '89 150 XR4 Black Max. FUN little nimble boat!!!!

19. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton.woodson79 View Post
    I do not have any brochures prior to 1985. Also, the brochures were not for individual models. Instead, they showed a brief description of each model for a given year,

20. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton.woodson79 View Post
    I do not have any brochures prior to 1985. Also, the brochures were not for individual models. Instead, they showed a brief description of each model for a given year,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12