California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar

Buzz vs. Spinner bait, why?

Looking for input gents – buzz or spinner bait and why?

With spawn finally knocking at the door of some of my nearby lakes (weather hasn’t been cooperating past few weeks), I’ve been having decent success with a spinner. Usually don’t use buzz baits much. Any point to changing it up? Can the buzz be as effective if worked under water as well?

Between the two, if you had to choose one..
    Last edited by A7T3C; 04-02-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Move to Lounge?
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

I think they're completely different presentations. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever encountered a time where I would have pondered which one to use, despite their similar appearance, as each works best in very different situations.

I've caught smallmouth on a buzzbait worked subsurface before, particularly when they're up very shallow or on beds. That big blade really seems to piss them off. I've not tried it underwater really much aside from that. There are other better choices if you want to work something underwater, a chatterbait, spinnerbait or even a squarebill all being excellent choices for something moving.

In my mind, the buzzbait is the absolute best bait there is for covering a bunch of water as long as it's calm. They don't work well if the water is choppy, I think because it's tough to keep them on top and their fish attracting power is over-run by the wave action. When the wind comes up, it's spinnerbait time. In the wind, especially if the water has some color, there's really not a better bait out there than a spinnerbait.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Banned
    Two TOTALLY different critters! Can’t even imagine a buzzbait underwater

4. Member
    I've actually modified some buzzbaits to try underwater this spring. I"m thinking the squealing like a stuck pig might show them something different.

A buzzbait for me is a feast or famine bait. When it's on, it's the best bait to throw and it catches big ones. When it's off, you can throw one all day and never get a bite. 55* up water temp and I always have one tied on. If no bites in 1st 15 minutes, I put it down. However I still pick it up every hour or so for a few casts. Many days they kill it in the afternoon even with clear skies, clear water, and no wind. I figure the bass don't read the books.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    I've actually modified some buzzbaits to try underwater this spring. I"m thinking the squealing like a stuck pig might show them something different.

A buzzbait for me is a feast or famine bait. When it's on, it's the best bait to throw and it catches big ones. When it's off, you can throw one all day and never get a bite. 55* up water temp and I always have one tied on. If no bites in 1st 15 minutes, I put it down. However I still pick it up every hour or so for a few casts. Many days they kill it in the afternoon even with clear skies, clear water, and no wind. I figure the bass don't read the books.
    Agree John. Love em!

6. Member
    You dont want calm water with a buzzbait... want a soft chop/ripples on the water so the fish can't figure it as well, give a killer reaction strike. Around pads and edges of grass if they wont take a buzz then try the spinner

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 17z20 View Post
    You dont want calm water with a buzzbait... want a soft chop/ripples on the water so the fish can't figure it as well, give a killer reaction strike. Around pads and edges of grass if they wont take a buzz then try the spinner
    I love buzzbaits in calm water. They can trigger a bite when nothing else will. Take the skirt off and use a swimbait body in clear water.

I guess I should've been more specific when I said "calm." I guess I mean you want it calm enough that the buzzbait isn't having to noticeably move up and down with the waves to stay on top of the water. A ripple or light chop is fine, but when it gets to the point where I want to be throwing a spinnerbait, I don't want to be throwing a buzzbait.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Been busy with work, just now getting a chance to read back through the responses.

Didn't mean to directly compare the two, I've honestly not used buzz baits near at all - figured they were similar in use/application. Appreciate the tips, i plan on giving em a try for a bit on the next trip. They look fun as hell to throw, can't wait.
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

10. Member
    On those dead calm days where there isn't even a hint of ripple on the water, give one of the mini buzzbaits a try. Just reel it fast enough to keep it on top. The quieter, the better. You'll be surprised by the size of fish that will munch a little bitty bait like that.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A7T3C View Post
    Been busy with work, just now getting a chance to read back through the responses.

Didn't mean to directly compare the two, I've honestly not used buzz baits near at all - figured they were similar in use/application. Appreciate the tips, i plan on giving em a try for a bit on the next trip. They look fun as hell to throw, can't wait.

A Buzzbait is a topwater that works open water very well. Low light conditions like mornings, evening, or night is were this bait shines. But don’t afraid to throw a buzzbait during bluebird high noon days. Play with with retrieve speeds, keeping it on top of the water.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the setup used for throwing the buzzbait. I throw it on a 7' mhf casting rod with 50# braid and a 7.1:1 reel. That is what works for me. It may differ from angler to angler. One thing that I think is not necessary is to throw it on light line.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

13. Member
    I throw mine on an 8' Medium Heavy rod and 20 lb mono, with a 9:1 Garcia Revo reel. I also throw some on a 9' Ardent MH cranking rod.

Quote Originally Posted by bass360 View Post
    A Buzzbait is a topwater that works open water very well. Low light conditions like mornings, evening, or night is were this bait shines. But don’t afraid to throw a buzzbait during bluebird high noon days. Play with with retrieve speeds, keeping it on top of the water.
    Well I for one know you put the smackdown on the big ones at the "secret Spot" on that spinnerbait...I was in the boat with you...
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

A spinnerbait will work when a buzzbait will, but a buzzbait will not work well under all conditions a spinnerbait will. But, I will never have a buzzbait on the deck without having a matching spinnerbait tied on. Numerous times I have caught a short strike on a buzzbait by immediately dropping it and throwing a matching spinnerbait to the spot. They often nail it soon as it hits the water.

16. Member
    I've also had it the other way, I could tear them up with a buzzbait and nothing else at all would get bit. I think the buzzbait squealing makes them bite.