Thread: Deep Water Bass

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I actually pay close attention to my graphs, I look for grass and subtle changes in the bottom topography, I also pay attention to fish marked and possible bait balls when they show up. Finesse id definitely part of my arsenal. I used the tactics that B47 has mentioned as well.

Spanky

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-47 View Post
    "Do you graph your spots or do you just have spots that have produced over the years?"

I always watch my graph for depth, vegetation, drops, cuts to shallow water, fish symbols,......... Wife and I caught 61 bass today fishing about 3 hours on a lake down the street. The fish were moving from shallow to deep and staging inn 15' to 22'. All were caught on finesse worms, stick-o's and wacky stick-o's. I don't fish drop shot that often but I know a lot of people who do. I am always looking for new locations on the lakes I fish because fish will relocate often on a lake that has heavy fishing traffic and the hurricane changed a lot of lake habitat this past year. By searching for new locations, it helps increase my odds for catching bigger fish.
    Deeper Water Fishing is something I am trying to learn more about. When you say you use Finesse Worms, Stick-O's and Wacky Rigged Stick-O's, would you be willing to expound on that and how your are rigging and working them for this deeper water presentation?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    Deeper Water Fishing is something I am trying to learn more about. When you say you use Finesse Worms, Stick-O's and Wacky Rigged Stick-O's, would you be willing to expound on that and how your are rigging and working them for this deeper water presentation?
    I’ve had good luck this year using weighted weedless Owner jig heads with a wacky worm, fishing deep. I use as light a weight as I can, just enough to get it to the bottom.

These ... http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner...page-OWJH.html
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

4. Member
    I use screw lock jig heads from Flatlands Custom Tackle with a anywhere from a 10 inch worn down to finesse. In addition, my favorite in deeper grass (don’t tell anyone) is a tail nail weighted senko for that wispy deep grass. The heavier jig heads I’m trying to bring along grass line edges. Nail weighted all through grass, and weightless if I can where it just lays on top. There is no doubt my favorite of all time is drop shot. However, when I can C-rig deeper water I do it.

Anyone around Jax wants I’m more than willing to take deep water fishing. Have not been in a while but if timing can work let me know.

Drop shot set to various length's work in the wispy grass as well. I have not tried the tail/nail weighted Senko yet, but I have thrown the #3 BPS Gold Willow leaf bladed spinner attached to the tail of a Senko and allowed to free-fall to bottom with good results...

Spanky

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky06 View Post
    but I have thrown the #3 BPS Gold Willow leaf bladed spinner attached to the tail of a Senko and allowed to free-fall to bottom with good results...

Spanky
    I keep forgetting about those darn spinners...I have some...silver and gold...

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Be sure to add the ball bearing swivels to the screw lock, (Sampo the best ones)......

Spanky

8. Member
    Ball bearing swivels with screw lock attached are available at Academy Sports in gold or silver and Colorado blade or willow blade. I have been using them for the past 8 years or more. It is better than making them yourself. The can be great in deep water for big bass.
    Last edited by B-47; 04-04-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B-47 View Post
    Ball bearing swivels with screw lock attached are available at Academy Sports in gold or silver and Colorado blade or willow blade. I have been using them for the past 8 years or more. It is better than making them yourself. The can be great in deep water for big bass.
    Do you guys work this bait on the bottom slowly or with a steady retrieval?

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    Do you guys work this bait on the bottom slowly or with a steady retrieval?
    It varies, if the bite is active, I retrieve it at various speeds and twitch while doing so, to fish it deep, I let it drop and then pop it off the bottom

Spanky

11. Member
    What is the difference in using these swivels with blades and using a Speedworm type worm with the tail built in?

12. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Those added tail spinners are too rich for my blood. Dang gar and small bass that don't get the whole worm in their mouth (but fight and flop around) will dispose of those things like they are going out of style! Don't ask how I know! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    Those added tail spinners are too rich for my blood. Dang gar and small bass that don't get the whole worm in their mouth (but fight and flop around) will dispose of those things like they are going out of style! Don't ask how I know! lol
    OOOFF, kind of like the last Florida rally Mick?, I have not caught too many of the toothy critters with that rig, but it does get their attention. As to the cost, you can always go budget on the piece parts (swivels, blades, bearings etc..) I just know it works and is something the fish here haven't seen too much of. It is pretty big in New England area, Smallies love them. As for what's the difference between them and speed worm tails, in my opinion it's all about the flash....

Spanky

Finesse in Florida can work really well, especially since it is a technique that the fish down here don't see a lot of or maybe most Florida anglers are tight lipped about using it....

Spanky

What is the difference in using these swivels with blades and using a Speedworm type worm with the tail built in?
    The flash the blade provides is a little different than the speedworm tail...but I definitely see the similarities

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

I have noticed that different varieties of the Speed Worm have different actions as well as the thickness of the tail to provide varying degrees of "Thump"

Spanky

I have noticed that different varieties of the Speed Worm have different actions as well as the thickness of the tail to provide varying degrees of "Thump"

Spanky
    This is true...never thought about that. Definitely a difference in the Zoom speedworms and the other brands. I fish Bitters speedworms a lot, for instance.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

18. Member

Spanky
    Absolutely there is. Zoom U-Vibe has a difference just in their regular vs Magnum Speedworm, the tail is made/cut different. Bitters is different from Zoom etc.

Absolutely there is. Zoom U-Vibe has a difference just in their regular vs Magnum Speedworm, the tail is made/cut different. Bitters is different from Zoom etc.
    That's why I have some of ALL of them, try one if it does not work , move on to the next. I fish plastics almost exclusively

Spanky

20. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    OOOFF, kind of like the last Florida rally Mick?, Spanky
    May it RIP.. Wish you could of made the "River get together" we had at the end of Feb.. We had some fun!! Oh and I did actually make my own tail spinners when I used them.. I was just tryin to discourage anyone reading these tips.. Bass are getting hard to come by down my way!! lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast