Engine Level Around When Loading and Unloading

I am a complete rookie. My dad didn't fish and I don't have any brothers, and none of my friends have a boat. So I bought my first boat last week. (I'm over 50) I got an aluminum to minimize the damage during rookie mistakes. I went yesterday for the first time, by myself, and really had trouble manuevering around the launch. I had my motor trimmed all the way down and was stirring up a lot or mud and hitting the bottom occasionally.

Also, yesterday I was running not really fast, maybe 15-18 mph in what was marked as the channel and hit something that knocked a big chunk out of my skeg and nicked my propeller. (Fury 24) It's going to be the nicest day of the year today and I don't even want to go back out today because I'm afraid of what I might tear up today..

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You want to trim up when you are around the ramp. If I don’t know the ramp I’ll usually be just below where is sprays water. Maneuvering a boat at low speed may be one of the hardest things to learn. Steering goes away and when you change from forward to reverse the boat moves the other way. Throw in a little wind and it gets pretty difficult.

On a lake with shallow spots out in the main lake, you need to know where they are and watch the sonar at the console. Limbs and even whole trees will lurk just below the surface at times, especially in river channels, and there’s not much you can do to avoid them.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Try to head out during the week like in the late afternoon to avoid weekend traffic and get used to the boat. I never trim all the way down when launching, just enough to get water out the tell tail while the engine is running (or just the prop 2-3" below the water line). Be more the cautious at first and your confidence will increase with time. If you are considering boating through channels and such think about a good console unit with GPS and in hull traducer. Gps should provide mapping of the channels and the in hull transducer will show how much water you are actually in.

Remember you want to enjoy your outings and fishing, don't overthink it and just have fun!
    (SOLD) 88 WINNER Tournament 2000
    Mercury XR6 150 6"JP 25p Tempest 61mph loaded
    Minn Kota Maxxum 80 - Humminbird 899/858

I just wanna fish....

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by keelshot View Post
    I am a complete rookie. My dad didn't fish and I don't have any brothers, and none of my friends have a boat. So I bought my first boat last week. (I'm over 50) I got an aluminum to minimize the damage during rookie mistakes. I went yesterday for the first time, by myself, and really had trouble manuevering around the launch. I had my motor trimmed all the way down and was stirring up a lot or mud and hitting the bottom occasionally.

Also, yesterday I was running not really fast, maybe 15-18 mph in what was marked as the channel and hit something that knocked a big chunk out of my skeg and nicked my propeller. (Fury 24) It's going to be the nicest day of the year today and I don't even want to go back out today because I'm afraid of what I might tear up today..
    Im in the same boat as you bud as far as experience/knowledge....plus I live in the damn desert so cant even find any good shops even if I wanted to! lol

Just trim up at the ramp, you just need the motor down enough for it to suck in water. You might make a bigger wake trimmed up...but no one is gonna hassle you for that as long as you keep speed low. I really recommend getting out on the water as much as you can....on the weekdays where boat traffic is low. Gives you time to mess around on the boat and its less stressful when you dont gotta keep your head on a swivel watching out for jetskis.

Not sure what you hit, but its good you were going less than 20mph ill tell you that. Its expensive...but I really saw it as an investment since I fish a rocky lake...but get the navionics card. Ive almost snapped my TM running into rocks in the shallows...and I dont even want to imagine what my lakes rocks would do to my hull/motor if some snuck up on me. Just keep your head on a swivel to avoid water debris like someone mentioned...im literally always turning my head, or looking ahead to see whats coming up...that comes in handy on windy days too where you gotta read the waves to figure out the best line/route to get you to your location.

Good luck and dont get discouraged....you shouldve seen me at the ramp the first few times out....plus I almost sunk my boat twice forgetting the plug.....once real scary where the boat was dipping into the water! lol even that discouraged me...but I just kept trucking, and I feel like im a better boater each time out! Shoot...just "rescued" some kayakers yesterday caught in the rough weather, plus towed a big pontoon with my little tracker! Keep moving forward...youll turn into a captain in no time! Just get as much "seat time" as possible...and learn your waters.

5. Banned
    Congrats on the rig too! What are you fishing out of?

Have you checked to see if your prop is damaged or shaft bent? You can destroy a lower unit running with a bent shaft.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

7. Member
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I got a used Ranger RT198P. I tried to inspect my prop the best I could to make sure it wasn't rubbing the lower unit and I could not see anything. I spun it very slow and watched the gap between the prop and the lower unit and it did not change. But to be safe I probably should take it in and have it checked. I have attached a picture of the nick I put in the prop. I need to take it in anyway, my Ultrex keeps losing spot lock and I need to get it checked. The pedal keeps sticking...
    Attached Images Attached Images

4" small grinder run along blade will be about what a boat shop would do, and same on other blades to match balance. My local boat dealer is a X prop shop guy, and he hates messing with props lolo. he sold out yrs ago, and became the local Johnson/E Rude dealer. long ago too. 35 miles from town to local reservoir. He's old school Dealer.. buy then ya can try attitude lolo

On your ultrex, make sure your wire cable isn’t getting into the pedal. That will cause it to drop spotlock and / or stick. Any interference with the pedal will cause it to drop out of spotlock. Keeps things from getting broken.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by keelshot View Post

Exactly the opposite of what you should do. ^^^^