Advice on purchase

New to the site. Looking to purchasing a used bass boat and need some advice. Boat has some scares and gouges in the fiberglass and clear coat. One of the gouges is below the plug and seems to be leaking water. My question is: can this be fixed to the point of Not leaking anymore and if so what other issues could it caused and how to check for those issues? Thanks for any help. Pictures below

2. Member
    Welcome to BBC. I did not see a picture attached to your post.

If it is just a gouge in the glass I would not think that would cause a leak. It would leak water if it were cracked rather than gouged. Gouges and scratches can be fixed and there were some pretty good posts with videos a month or two ago about repair gelcoat. If the boat has had a clear coat paint applied over the fiberglass (not the way the boat comes from the factory) that is going to complicate the repair. You are going to have to repair the gelcoat and then repair the clearcoat.

I would want to find our why it is taking on water. How much water is it taking on and over what amount of time? There are many things it could be; rub rail, engine mount bolts, transom tie down rings, live well, bilge drain... You could try putting the bilge drain plug in and put a little water in the bilge with a garden hose and see where it starts leaking out. Sometimes these problems are easy to find and sometimes they can be a real pain.

3. Member
    Take your time looking for a used boat. Remember boat stands for (Break Out Another Thousand). If you find a potential buy pay to have a experienced shop look it over. If the shop finds issues a cost estimate to fix can be a negotiating point. If the seller won’t allow you to have a shop look it over at your expense walk away.