Thread: grand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

grand

does grand have any grass on it, or is it mainly docks and rocks?

2. Member
    The parts of the lake I fish, we come across a patch of water willow here and there, but it's usually too shallow, and definitely not something to run a pattern on. I'm not aware of anything else in the lake.

But that's OK because there are plenty of brush piles in addition to docks and rocks.

3. Member
    No grass. Just rocks docks and some wood mixed in.

points and brushpiles

5. Member
    Depends on the level.

6. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Tons and tons and tons of docks. Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    Tons and tons and tons of docks. Unreal.
    as many as ozark

Nope a half as many

9. Member
    I saw a patch of grass there one time and before I could cast to it, a thousand rough-fish converged on it and it was gone before my cast landed. No grass, unless you count the bermuda in the yards of the homes when flooded. Great bow fishing there for carp though.

just want to relax and spend some time with family and hopefully catch a few fish.

11. Member
    If you are coming all the way from Tennessee, I hate to disappoint you, but Grand really isn't a premier lake like everyone makes it out to be. Its an easy lake to host a tournament and with its close proximity to Tulsa and due to Oklahoma's generally large following into Bass fishing, this is where the largest tournaments get hosted, including some of the BassMasters events.

Basically I say this because I hope you are not making the trip just to fish Grand Lake, because you will be let down big time. You will definitely not have a crazy memorable experience like you can at other lakes that are much closer to you.

The lake itself is beautiful. Tons of docks. No Grass. There is little brush other than what the dock owners sunk around their docks. The north end has a little more structure though. I fish the south end alot. I still have fun at the lake, but a premier bass fishing lake it is not. Mostly its Dinkville with an occassional keeper here and there. You may be lucky and catch a 5-6 lber here and there. But you wont catch anything over 8 Lbs., and you most definitely wont catch numbers of big bass. Perhaps this is how it used to be back a few years ago, I have heard stories where people would catch large amounts of keepers, but I have been fishing there pretty regularly for the past 3 years and have had generally poor results. I myself consider it lucky to catch a limit at all on that lake. I wont rule out that I suck, because Im sure that's partly true but I dont think I suck that bad and usually even guys that suck have an occasional lucky day. I caught 2 keepers at this lake a couple weeks ago and I considered that successful.

Now you may have seen tournament results of guys catching 25 and 30 lb stringers of recent years past. The thing is, whenever you have tournaments that host 400 boats, someone is going to hit the jackpot and find a stretch of bank that will hold some nice fish on any lake. Thats another thing about that lake, it gets hammered every weekend by giant tournaments and I do think that has something to do with the poor fishing as well. So basically, I have come to the assumption that there are fish in this lake, but they are very hard to catch. I still try to improve on this lake, but it is still proving very difficult. Im sure there will be guys following up and saying this is the best lake in Oklahoma, but I have yet to see it. Sorry to be a downer, just wanted to keep it real with you.
    Last edited by SEANHAWG8806; 04-05-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SEANHAWG8806 View Post
    If you are coming all the way from Tennessee, I hate to disappoint you, but Grand really isn't a premier lake like everyone makes it out to be. Its an easy lake to host a tournament and with its close proximity to Tulsa and due to Oklahoma's generally large following into Bass fishing, this is where the largest tournaments get hosted, including some of the BassMasters events.

Basically I say this because I hope you are not making the trip just to fish Grand Lake, because you will be let down big time. You will definitely not have a crazy memorable experience like you can at other lakes that are much closer to you.

The lake itself is beautiful. Tons of docks. No Grass. There is little brush other than what the dock owners sunk around their docks. The north end has a little more structure though. I fish the south end alot. I still have fun at the lake, but a premier bass fishing lake it is not. Mostly its Dinkville with an occassional keeper here and there. You may be lucky and catch a 5-6 lber here and there. But you wont catch anything over 8 Lbs., and you most definitely wont catch numbers of big bass. Perhaps this is how it used to be back a few years ago, I have heard stories where people would catch large amounts of keepers, but I have been fishing there pretty regularly for the past 3 years and have had generally poor results. I myself consider it lucky to catch a limit at all on that lake. I wont rule out that I suck, because Im sure that's partly true but I dont think I suck that bad and usually even guys that suck have an occasional lucky day. I caught 2 keepers at this lake a couple weeks ago and I considered that successful.

Now you may have seen tournament results of guys catching 25 and 30 lb stringers of recent years past. The thing is, whenever you have tournaments that host 400 boats, someone is going to hit the jackpot and find a stretch of bank that will hold some nice fish on any lake. Thats another thing about that lake, it gets hammered every weekend by giant tournaments and I do think that has something to do with the poor fishing as well. So basically, I have come to the assumption that there are fish in this lake, but they are very hard to catch. I still try to improve on this lake, but it is still proving very difficult. Im sure there will be guys following up and saying this is the best lake in Oklahoma, but I have yet to see it. Sorry to be a downer, just wanted to keep it real with you.
    GREAT Post... I feel your pain brother

lol, really just coming over there to spend some time with a relative for a few days. Have been to some of the best lake around TN. some days were great and some just sucked, but that is fishing.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy Rod View Post
    lol, really just coming over there to spend some time with a relative for a few days. Have been to some of the best lake around TN. some days were great and some just sucked, but that is fishing.
    I would recommend Fort Gibson which is part of the same Grand River Chain. I have heard Hudson is good too but never been there, it is between Grand and Gibson. Gibson though, IMO, is a much much better lake than Grand.

Gibson is the Red Headed Stepchild of the 3, if there any rain GDRA will flood Gibson 1st then Hudson to keep the Granders Happy.. Gibson been tough as Grand the last couple of years too. IMO

16. Member
    I like Gibson.....25 minutes from the house and I'm fishing. And I can catch some keepers.......Grand? Meh!
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

I loved Gibson it's 35/45 minutes from the house, if I have to waiting on a train it's 45 minutes to Toppers

18. Member

LOL. While I don't agree with most of your thoughts on Grand (Been fishing it for almost 20 years)...I wish FLW and BASS would take heed of your first sentence and keep their hineys elsewhere...

I would recommend Fort Gibson which is part of the same Grand River Chain. I have heard Hudson is good too but never been there, it is between Grand and Gibson. Gibson though, IMO, is a much much better lake than Grand.
    thanks for the recommendation, but I will be at grand. hopefully I will catch a few fish.

Sending you a pm.
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast