Battery help advice???

I am looking for the longest lasting battery with the lightest weight.
    I current run a interstate group 29 battery which powers both my fish finders. Livewell/timer. Lights, bilge, ECT. I have had it die on me at the end of a derby. I would really like to save some weight also. Poking in the 3-400 dollar range. Please help and thanks in advance.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    No such thing except lithium’s and those are out of your price range. Longer lasting means heavier and there’s no way around it.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    You have to go up to a group 31 battery which is heavier by 5-10 pounds or go lithium

4. Member
    Ok if I stay the same weight will I get more life out of an AGM or gel battery and which one is best. Everyone keeps telling me to go with the blue tops. Any good?

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steelie1 View Post
    Ok if I stay the same weight will I get more life out of an AGM or gel battery and which one is best. Everyone keeps telling me to go with the blue tops. Any good?
    Gel batteries are all but obsolete in marine applications. Get the highest RC that fits your budget. Make sure it’s measured at 25A, not 23A. There isn’t a big difference in run time between AGMs and conventional flooded cells. The AGM will weigh about 10% more and cost two or three times as much as a flooded cell of the same capacity, but the flooded cell will need to be replaced about twice as often.
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    The Napa Commercial 31group battery #7236 is 56lbs and it has 1170 ca and 175rc also only $120.59 if you choose the AGM the X2 31group is like $399 but its a full 4yr free replacement and its 75lbs Just a few options. : )

7. Member
    Thanks guys. Thinking I’m going with optima blue top. 31. I’ve heard good things. 59 lbs

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Thanks guys. Thinking I’m going with optima blue top. 31. I’ve heard good things. 59 lbs
    If you are looking for long lasting, you are in the wrong place with an Optima. It is only 155 minute RC compare to 205 for the Everstart. 25% smaller capacity and 3 times the price.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Which model everstart is that? Is it heavier than the 59lb optima?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If you are looking for long lasting, you are in the wrong place with an Optima. It is only 155 minute RC compare to 205 for the Everstart. 25% smaller capacity and 3 times the price.
    Isnt that everstart a deep cycle? Can it be used as a cranking battery?

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Isnt that everstart a deep cycle? Can it be used as a cranking battery?
    Yes. As long as the CCA is sufficient for what your motor needs.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    If you're seriously considering a AGM battery, you NEED to look at batteries plus at their XPower series. They are the same battery, by the SAME designer that designed the Odyssey batteries years ago. He sold Odyssey, and now is using his patent (from what I read a while back) to build the same unit at a considerable cost savings (like $100 less).

Because of where my Bob's pump is, I can't run a large cranking battery. With that, I had to add a second group 24 cranking battery last year. Of course now I have dual Blades, and just rewired the bilge to clean up all the junk connected to the cranking post(s). Added a battery shutoff switch, then a pair of HD buss bars on the port side to connect all the extra stuff to. That made a HUGE difference in cleaning up the bilge. Of course weight now.... let's not talk about that. What with 2 group 24's, and 1/0 wire connecting everything (another 20 pounds AT LEAST) I'm just pretending it's not there.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

13. Member
    Yes that’s my issue. I have a small boat (tzx190) with limited space. It has a 150 and I’m a big guy so I need to keep weight down as much as possible. I run a 24v ultrex off two 29’s. I need the strongest cranking to run everything else at lightest weight. After looking at a lot I think catfan hit it. 210ah 29 series for 133 is cheaper and saves me 5 lbs.

14. Member
    Just my personal opinion optima blue top is trash. I purchased one from auto zone, their largest one, and had nothing but issues. Going through warranty was pretty much awful. Somehow my optima was actually made by interstate. Long story short, auto zone helped me out but it was no fun. I ran stereo, livewell, and 3 graphs and cranking over motor and 5 hours was about as good as I could get out of her. I went with northstar 31m and not a single issue. Pretty expensive though. I also have dual talons and all of that now.

15. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brett87tex View Post
    Just my personal opinion optima blue top is trash. I purchased one from auto zone, their largest one, and had nothing but issues. Going through warranty was pretty much awful. Somehow my optima was actually made by interstate. Long story short, auto zone helped me out but it was no fun. I ran stereo, livewell, and 3 graphs and cranking over motor and 5 hours was about as good as I could get out of her. I went with northstar 31m and not a single issue. Pretty expensive though. I also have dual talons and all of that now.
    Interstate doesn't make batteries. They are a reseller. Most of their batteries are made by Johnson Controls, who makes Optima batteries. Optimas are great batteries for offroad vehicles and equipment. Not so much for boats.
    nothing else matters.​

16. Member
    ^^^ Wouldnt go with optima in the boat! Just not enough RC or MCA. Best deal for power and reserve is gonna be a commercial battery. The 300 and 400 $ Northstar and X2 are very nice but high$$ and 15 to 20lbs heavier. Just carry a Genius GB 150 and dont worry about it! : )

The Optima 31 blue top is going to let you down, I ran it on a 225 Optimax and they will run out of juice if you're running graphs and livewells all day. Worked good as trolling motor batteries, but not for a starting battery on an Optimax. Your starting battery is not the place to look to save weight.

18. Member
    I run only 2 batteries. I have a 24V trolling motor and a 225 yamaha. Get 2- group 31 deep cycles and run your 12v off one of them. I have done it for 20 years with no more problems than guys that run 3 batteries. Actually have less battery problems!