Cool Warning Alarm for "no?" reason (Good Reason)

Serial 2B402296. 2017 Pro XS-250 with torquemaster. Occasionally, like every fifth time out and for what seems like no reason my warning alarm goes off and motor loses power. Happens mostly at idle but under power as well. Sometimes on restart it goes away and occasionally immediately comes back. Does it whether in water with weeds etc or in clear areas. Smartcraft puts out an alert as well but need to pay better attention next time as to exactly what it says since that might help. What addl info should I try to get next time to help diagnose?

Alarms are never something to ignore and there is ALWAYS a reason for one. It is possible for a bad sensor to cause an alarm but it is normally difficult to diagnose at home. Shutting a motor down and restarting will only mask a problem, never solve one.

If you had a Mercmonitor, a lot of alarms are displayed in plain language. They are well worth the investment. Other than that, get the motor to a dealer to read the alarm codes.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    thanks

4. Member
    Does anyone know if the past smartcraft nessages can be accessed via the gauge.

5. Member
    No they can't. You have to go to a Dealer, or buy a scan tool for $600.

6. Member
    this is a real good tool to have and it is the least expensive code reader out there. Works perfect...

http://www.rinda.com/techmatepro/

Call them for better pricing then you will find anywhere. Direct is best in this case.

7. Member
    Engine is still under warranty, take it to your dealer so problem is documented for warranty purposes.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    Taking in next week. I think gauge message was something like Starboard thermostat. We will see.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    DON'T run the engine again until you've had PRINTOUTS done of the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History.

Thermostat Faults are no joke... an engine that is not coming up to temp can actually sustain DAMAGE if you attempt to run it above 1500 RPM's.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Hopefully the Mercury dealer will do this when they check it out this week as a starting point. Thanks.

Ask specifically for print outs of the faults and run time history. It can help in future troubleshooting or in the case of multiple malfunctions.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1.... ASK for them (in advance).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Update. They are replacing a thermostat and sensor. Said it was definitely getting hot on starboard side but no apparent damage. Warning horn did its job. Go Mercury!!

14. Member
    Interesting update. Picked boat up. Service manager said starboard side running hot but not enough to always set off warning/guardian mode. Checked and said no engine damage before replacing the thermostat and sensor. Why am I not feeling entirely good about this!!! Will run this weekend to see.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    Update. They are replacing a thermostat and sensor. Said it was definitely getting hot on starboard side but no apparent damage. Warning horn did its job. Go Mercury!!
    But u didn't. You shut it off an ran it like that. You just lost some hours on the engine..
    2015 189 trx

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

17. Member
    I did the best I could since I got it fixed as soon as I got back from the trip. I figured if the guardian did not kick in then the engine must be running ok. The motor was always shut down immediately when the alarm went off. I would imagine there is running hot and then there RUNNING HOT since the guardian threshhold was not triggered most days. If running hotter than normal at any temp less than the alarm threshhold causes lost hours then I probably lost some.

18. Member
    Well got the boat back after they replaced thermostat and sensor. Said the printout showed it ran at 300 degrees but they called Merc and decided no way that reading was accurate. In any event, picked it up and went to the lake. Boat did not run like it did on the last trip before taking it in to the dealer. Hole shot was like I only had 75% throttle and lost 800 rpms on top end. Sluggish and lot more throttle to cruise at 4000 rpm's too. Now it is back at merc dealer waiting to be further diagnosed. Said the symtoms are similar to a problem with that model re (I think he said) the compressor. Strange that the problem was not there last time on the water and only occurred after the work was done.

19. Member
    leak down test check for compression going into cooling system, how much wpsi at idle ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

20. Member
    Dealer called to advise they found a bad plug. Totally unrelated to prior problems. Will test out this weekend.