Banned

How do you use your Trolling Motor?

So Im a former kayak fisherman, so im used to saturating areas with casts and really picking them apart. I recently got my boat....and just got my TM a month ago.

So I always heard/saw videos of people like KVD and other pros....mostly KVD....saying that he covered lots of water and always had the TM on a higher setting to cover water. Well...maybe im stuck in the kayak mentality, or maybe im still learning....but ive rarely used the CONSTANT on, and tend to just use the MOMENTARY to position myself better and crawl along the banks. I also subsequently end up saturating an area...and fishing "slower" like I would on my kayak.

My lake doesnt have many features (sandy rocky desert irrigation reservoir) so I really like to saturate those hot spots. So maybe my style fits...and itd be different if I was on a lake rich with different cover and structure? But im wondering...how do you all end up using your TM more often than not?

and please, i dont want to see any mention of SPOT LOCK in here....only cuz im jealous I dont have that feature! hahaha

2. Member
    I fish slow like you are describing. I usually have the motor set between 3 and 4 with most the time spent really close to 3. Use the momentary on the pedal.

3. Member
    Use mine pretty much exactly how you describe - only time I use constant is when Im cranking a long length of riprap (dam for instance), other than that, just to reposition...
    Nitro Z6 Optimax115 Elite HDI5 Bow 5x Pro Console

4. Banned
    cool!

I get the whole..."youll catch them in a couple casts" if theyre there mentality....but ive caught plenty of fish changing baits in an area Ive been working...ive even had bites after just changing colors in the same area!

Just cant help myself to saturate the spots I like!

My other bass boat is a canoe...but I have found that your boat control is MUCH better if you leave the TM on very low CONSTANT and just throttle up when you want to get around someplace where you can't or don't want to fish, like a swim area, dog park beach, another boat, or where some folks are on their dock. The reason this helps is because your boat maintains a little momentum going the direction you want it to go, and reduces the influence of the wind a lot. That's if I'm throwing plastics; for spinnerbaits, I'd be a notch faster. Maybe two.

6. Member
    I'm a marinater as well. Momentary on 6 or 7.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

7. Member
    I used mine one time to get back to the ramp because my main engine wouldn't start. It got me out in the lake a ways, but apparently, must have had some water in the fuel.

8. Member
    After bass fishing for 5 years of on/off TM now i use the trolling motor on constant setting a lot. Typically if I do not have the pedestal seat in and running a bank. I use the full front deck this way. Also age plays into it- knees and feet are telling me they are tired but I wont give up fishing.

I’ve been using Momemtary ON for over 30 years. The only time I use Constant ON is to work a long straight section with a moving bait.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Momentary on 5 or 6 but will kick it over to constant from time to time.. usually to move from one point to another..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

When I had a cable steer MG it didn't have a constant on so it was bump it here or there. New used boat came with Terrova, didn't know if I'd like it. I like it a lot. Constant on low and just bump the pedal L or R when needed. Did I mention it has..........never mind.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeGraaf View Post
    When I had a cable steer MG it didn't have a constant on so it was bump it here or there. New used boat came with Terrova, didn't know if I'd like it. I like it a lot. Constant on low and just bump the pedal L or R when needed. Did I mention it has..........never mind.
    spot lock? lol

im sure it has spot lock, but auto pilot when set to legacy works great, so you dont have to bump left and right, legacy on the remote is push and hold till the circle of autopilot isnt around the north up emblem, advanced doesnt work as well and thats the standard setting,

to the op i will use constant if searching we lakes for fish, once i have it im a 3.5-4 momentary and creep around
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

14. Member
    If there is a worm bite I'll fish with the on off technique, if it's a moving bait bite I'll keep moving a whole lot faster.

15. Member
    The question I have for those of you that use constant is if you fall out of your boat can you swim fast enough to catch your boat? I can't, so I never use constant.

I Never use constant.. But I do cover a lot of water so my setting is usually on a higher setting... Until I get to something that catches my eye...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stackenem View Post
    The question I have for those of you that use constant is if you fall out of your boat can you swim fast enough to catch your boat? I can't, so I never use constant.
    For that reason, I only use constant when I have another person in the boat. When alone I only use the momentary setting and wear my inflatable vest all the time. (I use a standard PFD when accompanied).
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Quote Originally Posted by stackenem View Post
    Fair question! I wouldn't suggest using constant unless it's very low wind, very low throttle setting, warm water, and best when accompanied by somebody who can run the TM if you fall overboard. Some common sense is definitely needed.

In my post, I stated that even a very low speed setting helped with boat control. It doesn't take much at all. When I fish plastics, which I do about 90% of the time, I mean S-l-o-w. Somewhere about 5%-10% throttle is all you need to help with boat control in light breeze, tho I'd prefer more like 20% if not solo. When the wind comes up, I'm quick to drop the plastics and throw a spinnerbait, which then means higher throttle setting works better. If there is any significant reason why you might fall out of the boat, definitely use momentary. My oldest brother drowned at 27, so I'm actually pretty cautious of falling OB.

19. Member
    My other bass boat is a Hobie PA12 so I fish slow.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step