Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    MSRP is merely a suggestion from factory. It's a dream. You buy at MSRP and the dream becomes a nightmare for buyer. NAP is simply a price that is advertised across the land.

This also is the starting point. MAP is minimum accepted price by dealer or in most markets it minimum advertised price. Most retailers, not BPS, will work with you to get a trade or outright sell. The bass boat market is bit unusual as it is toys being sold, Not a tangible necssecity but a luxury purchase. BPS will negotiate on your trade value and will offer gift cards, lifejackets etc etc

Dealers can qualify a buyer quickly. Buyers come to boat dealers prepared to buy a new toy. Not like a car lot where a guy may need a truck in order to work.

Watching the boat market closely and choosing certain times such as end of model year is best way to get a better price.

I think it's best to make an offer as opposed to asking for a reduction. Everything is negotiable. If the opportunity isn't available now, be prepared to wait.

Shop around. due diligence.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by snodogg View Post
    I don't know of any car dealerships that negotiate anymore either.
    Seriously?
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snodogg View Post
    I don't know of any car dealerships that negotiate anymore either.
    I have been able to negotiate with every car dealer I have worked with over the past 11 yrs I've been buying cars. My latest deal in July 2017 I was able to get another $2k of MSRP even after the initial offer was over $10k off. Less than an hr later I walked out with a brand new truck at nearly $13k off. (not hard to do with most full size truck brands during certain times of year). I wouldn't expect boats to be the same...but I'm sure there are some areas for negotiation (prep, upgrades, dealer stock etc.).

4. Member
    good evening,

todays package prices are pretty well set....boat, motor, trailer, and some type of electronics....pretty good deals....just don't get into options..lol...limited discounts....just saying...

good luck..
    PURA VIDA,
    bluebonnet2

Quote Originally Posted by wtgkb8 View Post
    I have been able to negotiate with every car dealer I have worked with over the past 11 yrs I've been buying cars. My latest deal in July 2017 I was able to get another $2k of MSRP even after the initial offer was over $10k off. Less than an hr later I walked out with a brand new truck at nearly $13k off. (not hard to do with most full size truck brands during certain times of year). I wouldn't expect boats to be the same...but I'm sure there are some areas for negotiation (prep, upgrades, dealer stock etc.).
    It all depends on how you buy your auto. 3 out of 4 trucks I bought there was no negotiating, take it or leave it prices. But they were $500 over invoice minus rebates. I actually prefer it, takes very little of your time, stupid sales tactics of making you wait, aggravate me to no end.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    It all depends on how you buy your auto. 3 out of 4 trucks I bought there was no negotiating, take it or leave it prices. But they were $500 over invoice minus rebates. I actually prefer it, takes very little of your time, stupid sales tactics of making you wait, aggravate me to no end.
    I 100 per cent agree i like the over invoice method. My problem is that it's always in my mind how do i know the invoice wasn't inflated with huge profit!!

7. Member
    I just wrote down what I wanted and asked three dealers what they would charge. There was a big difference in the prices.

8. Banned
    How much profit a dealer makes per boat is none of our business; all a buyer needs is a price he can live with.

There is nothing wrong with being and educated consumer, knowing the prices and where the dealer can work with you can save you a bunch. I work hard for my money and want to get the most out of it. I just bought a new to me boat from a dealer, it was just less than 2 years old. Based on the fair market value, which I presented to the dealer, did my homework online getting prices of other used boats with the same or similar options, BBC helped a lot. I was able to get the boat down $6k from the asking price. I also negotiated the registration and title fees after speaking to the owner of the dealership., another $400 in my pocket. With the savings however I spent most of it on upgrades, Ultrex, graphs and a few new rods,,lol. If you happen to be lucky enough that a few hundred or a few grand doesn't matter to you,, congrats to you,, but I'm going to try my best to keep my money in my pocket. Do your homework, get what you are happy with and enjoy it as much as you can, life is short.
    2016 Z520, 2018 250 Pro LPXS sn/ 2B590153, Helix 10s on bow and console, 360 bow and 112 Ultrex, 126sv and Livescope.
    Son inherited - 1997 462VS 150 Johnson Faststrike, 800 series birds, side image, 110 Fortrex

10. Member
    I'm stingy with my money to an extent. If a price doesn't sit well with me, I'll walk away. Ended up getting over $12k off my truck when I bought it that way. When I'm finally able to get a new boat, it won't be any different. I know what I want, and I know what I'll be willing to pay. I drove 3200 miles round trip to pick up a 16 year old boat, I can drive the same (or more) to save money on the next boat too.

241 said it best. Get what you are happy with.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    How much profit a dealer makes per boat is none of our business; all a buyer needs is a price he can live with.
    In the end you are correct but don't tell me 10 percent off will put them in the soup line either.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    I'm stingy with my money to an extent. If a price doesn't sit well with me, I'll walk away. Ended up getting over $12k off my truck when I bought it that way. When I'm finally able to get a new boat, it won't be any different. I know what I want, and I know what I'll be willing to pay. I drove 3200 miles round trip to pick up a 16 year old boat, I can drive the same (or more) to save money on the next boat too.

13. Banned

Drove 1600 miles round trip to get my boat last month. Price was waaaay to good not to!

14. Member

I guess you do not value your time and like to drive your truck.

$12k off a truck MSRP is pretty standard when there is factory rebates involved

15. Member
    The internet has really changed negotiating, you can find the lowest price before leaving the house, so if a dealer is really high ,they get little foot traffic

Quote Originally Posted by Triton 186 View Post
    The internet has really changed negotiating, you can find the lowest price before leaving the house, so if a dealer is really high ,they get little foot traffic
    Agree, that's what I do with my big purchase. I get several dealers involved to created leverage. Seems to work with me even today outside of the boat market (trucks/cars) but I do execute the same for boats. Yes, I'm willing to travel. I look at the experience if there is added cost for travel as a fun trip because I'm bringing something home new and shinny. I won't buy from BassPro not because of their boat quality. Nitro's make a great boat today. I refuse to deal with a culture that presents no haggling price. Obviously, I value my money more then BP does. Not hating, just know there are other options out there. Overall, very good comments from everyone to see how the culture has changed since my last purchase.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    I 100 per cent agree i like the over invoice method. My problem is that it's always in my mind how do i know the invoice wasn't inflated with huge profit!!
    Invoice is what car dealers pay manufacturers for the vehicles there is also another number could holdback that a dealer gets after car is sold to cover floor plan interest up to 60 days

you can verify invoice prices on internet

so anything around 5-10% over invoice is a fair deal minus any incentives or rebates

i own 4 new car dealerships this is all factual

now if a vehicle has been on the lot more than 6 months you should be able to buy for cost or invoice longer than 8 months and dealers will take loses in the 1000’s to free up capital to invest in something that will move quicker ... ask your dealer next time what are his oldest new or used vehicles he wants to move for a loss and you’ll prolly get a few offerings of great deals

I auction off any used vehicles over 60 days old and turn my dollars into other faster moving inventory some dealers hold on way to long ...

hope this his helps some of you on your next car buying adventure
    2018 Ranger 521L / Evinrude 250 G2

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    In case you have not noticed, there are many fewer boat dealers since the Crash of 2008. And there are less than half the boat builders still in business.

The marine business has never recovered and it still sucks. That should mean it is a buyer's market--and certainly not at MSRP. But with some dealers not wanting to deal, it may require going to another city to buy.

https://www.news-journal.com/news/bu...ign=user-share

19. Member
    Dealer's around here don't negotiate on the boat price. NAP/MAP is what it is and they say they can't sell below that and they don't have too. They can't keep up with demand. I've been in the new boat market for a few months and everytime I go to check out a boat, they are sold days after coming in. They will deal on accessories and installation.

And honestly, I prefer it that way. I hate the price game.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123