Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    For a woman who carries in their purse, along with all the other junk, I recommend a wheel gun. If they practice and are efficient, 6 shots will be more than enough, much safer and definitely more reliable.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

2. Member
    The last thing WE need to do is pick out a gun for the wife.
    Let HER hold and shoot as many as possible. I talked the wife into a 38, and after shooting it several trips she didn't like it. Wrong trigger pull. She now carries the same that I carry, A Kimber 45 with a 4" barrel.
    We both like the feel of it in the hand along with the trigger pull.
    We have an agreement now. She wont pick fishing stuff for me and I wont pick firearms for her.

3. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    My wife carries a s&w 642. It's a hammerless 38. No safety to forget and no hammer to decock. Seemed like a good choice for her.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrenroadie View Post
    Ruger LCP .380
    Read reviews
    plus 1 for the LCP .380

Smokey Mountian Guns and ammo has a good deal on the LCP's if you go that route.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

6. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    My wife is comfortable with the our shield, glock 26 and 19. She has shot my smith bodyguard 380 but doesnt care for it as much for obvious reasons.

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    TAKE HER TO A RANGE AND LET HER SHOOT A BUNCH OF GUNS AND SEE WHAT SHE LIKES!!!!

I have a safe full of guns that I thought she would like, and didn't.

But I have a safe full of guns its not all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    TAKE HER TO A RANGE AND LET HER SHOOT A BUNCH OF GUNS AND SEE WHAT SHE LIKES!!!!

I have a safe full of guns that I thought she would like, and didn't.

But I have a safe full of guns its not all bad.
    This is what i did and my wife chose a s&w 351 pd in 22 mag. Im finding that i enjoy shooting that little gem as much or more than she does. Its got to be 3 times more accurate than my lcp2 pocket gun and the 22 mag gets better penetration through a steel barrel than thr 380. Let her decide what she would be comfortable shooting because if she is scared of it or physically the gun doesnt dit you will just be wasting money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    For a woman who carries in their purse, along with all the other junk, I recommend a wheel gun. If they practice and are efficient, 6 shots will be more than enough, much safer and definitely more reliable.
    But even in a purse the gun should be in some sort of holster. It needs to be secured and in a consistent location that does not change. Can't be digging for it when the excrement hits the rotating blades.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Member
    S&W 351PD. .22WMR Revolver, scandium frame, weighs less than 11oz., fiber optic sight. 7 shot capacity, Low recoil, still packs a good lunch. Great for female shooters.

11. Member
    Every time my better half wants a new gun (5-foot-nothin and 110# soaking wet), we start by going to several gun stores and her picking up a bunch and seeing what fits her hand the best.

Her first carry gun was a Ruger SR9. I made her get rid of it when I realized it had a magazine disconnect in it. Never liked the LCI either. Her next gun was a Sig P320 Compact in 9mm, which she still carries in her purse. She is very proficient with it. When she wanted a gun for on-body carry, back to the store we went, and she chose a Sig P238. There was definitely some training involved being single-action only, but she was already used to the thumb safety from the old Ruger, and the larger shelf on the Sig made it much easier to actuate.

Long story short, if it doesn't fit her hand, regardless the caliber, she won't be able to control it well.

Another thing to be careful of with thumb safeties - on that Ruger, it took her a LONG time to work up the thumb strength to disengage that safety with just a swipe as I found it so easy to do. She really had to practice - A LOT.

I pocket carry a S&W Bodyguard 380 during the summer. Another very nice, lightweight choice - but it does have a thumb safety.

Glock 43, it's the only way to go...

See ya

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12