2003 XR6 Cranking Battery selection

serial number 0T702047

Hi Guys,

I had originally posed n the wrong section, Joe had suggested noting less than 1000 CA and I'm assuming Nothing less than 800 CCA and 180 RC. I believe the charging system on my motor does better with a wet cell battery. My last Battery was the interstate 27M-XHD (1000CA 800CCA 180RC) which was great but replacing due to its age. I'm finding a lot of dual purpose Starting/cranking batteries and I'm not sure these the best choice. My Marina recommended a Mercury Marine (probably made by another company and branded Mercury) 27 series dual purpose Starting/cranking. Does anybody have additional information on these batteries? I'm also assuming the internal plate thickness will be between that of a cranking and deep cycle, some sort of hybrid, will this affect the charge from my XR6? last thing I want to do is damage the charging system.

I would have just replaced with interstate but they seem to have the least warranty and are increasingly harder to get here in Ontario.

I would also stay with a 27 or go up to a 31 series if necessary

Thanks,

Bob

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    An XR6 doesn't need a large battery. A modern bass boat does. You have to pick whether you want to risk your charging system or make your boat usable as a modern bass boat.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I use an Exide starting battery (1000 mca) from Academy for my 2003 XR6, never had a problem.

4. Member
    I run 2 big helix units and 1 smaller unit and spend 50% of my time on the great lakes, i run go pros, i phone chargers, led lights and will probably be adding a stereo this year so im probably using just as much as a modern day bass boat. My livewells run most of the day. The boat came with a 24 series battery and the interstate starting battery was great but every store i walk into right now is shoving these dual purpose batteries in my face. My preference would be a straight up starting battery in the 27 series from either canadian tire, or walmart since there is 10 in every city and i can simply swap a bad battery for a good one if it dies, but both stores are pushing the deep cycle/cranking, same with my marina, mercury dual purpose. If i was in the us it might be easier as you might have better options.

5. Member
    Pretty sure at this point I’m going back to a straight cranking battery, I cannot find anywhere online where a dual purpose deep cycle/ cranking battery more a cranking or more a deep cycle or a 50/50. At least I won’t have to modify my battery trays.

6. Member
    I run a 34M on my Xr6. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...34magm/4742614

I got it when I got the boat in 2013 and It's still going just fine. I run 3 depthfinders, a stereo, and if there's a fish in the well the pump is on 100% of the time.
    Never had an issue. at least not yet.
    04' Nitro NX882DC
    150 Merc XR6 21P Trophy
    12' Talon
    LMS- 552C & Hook 9 Bow - Elite 5 Stern

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Use a traditional WET CELL battery. Don't really care what brand- it should simply be a wet cell, CRANKING battery, 800 CCA should suffice with reasonable electronics (your XR6 doesn't require nearly what the newer engines do).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    This what I plan on purchasing for my 1994 XRi...Appears to be a relabeled Deka 27M6 840 CCA 1050 MCA.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...y/27ms/4742402

Another option which appears to be the same but under Duracell label at batteries plus, but $40 more.
    https://www.batteriesplus.com/replac...27dpdl/sli27ma

I've been using the evermaxx from Walmart group 31
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Use a traditional WET CELL battery. Don't really care what brand- it should simply be a wet cell, CRANKING battery, 800 CCA should suffice with reasonable electronics (your XR6 doesn't require nearly what the newer engines do).
    Don, did i screw up? I thought i bought a wetcell but turns out its the sealed maintanance free type, will this be a problem? It is 800cca and 1050 ca with a high reserve but cannot be serviced. I should learn to read more carefully

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's certainly not an ideal choice, according to the Manufacturer's Recommendations.

In reality- it's better than many choices you might have made. I'm going to stick with the Manufacturer's Recommendation, however (history has proven that their engineers knew the charging system better than anyone).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Thanks Don,

I was driving home and noticed after picking it up at the battery shop that it had no caps on it, I had told them I needed a wet cell, which they confirmed it was, just sealed maintenance free with vent relief "better for power sports" he said. I had to explain that it was the charging system that was the problem, not spillage. Reading into it a little more, a traditional flooded wet cell charges at 14.8V and a sealed wet cell or VRLA or SLA charge at 14.4V and I believe this is where the problem occurs.

Not a total loss as it will be a great battery to use in the RV I inherited.

Thank,

Bob