2001 Optimax 225 won't pee with new water pump

I recently replaced my impeller last weekend. Before it would not pee with the ears but would with the back flusher. The impeller I took out looked new but I replaced it anyway. I unhooked the hoses coming off each side of the cylinder heads. The starboard side had water coming out but the portside did not. I tried putting the hose on the nipple on that head and it did not circulate or come out anywhere. I'm thinking there may be an obstruction in those cooling jackets maybe? Any suggestions?

no idea of the how to, but can be sand, wood fiber, even dirt dauber mud nest.. I know a small drill bit turn by hand only for clearing out the speedometer inlet on pitot tube or if on engine foot. but internal engine jackets, seen some take out the T-stats and try work at flushing out , even the pulse water pick for teeth, compressed air etc. One shop had a engine long ago they tried everything and still had one side plugged, so had a reman head put on and kept it on display, He never messes with it.. I figured he'd cut it in half like the cut out engines at schools and maybe actually see what was the cause of plug.. but he has better fish to fry lolo.. good luck

3. Member
    Check the compressor strainer (usually lower starboard side of block) to see if clogged. Also, sometimes just poking a toothpick in the tell tale hole can free the flow.

4. Member
    Yes, I’m going to check the tstats next. Do you think a stuck closed tstat is possible?

5. Member
    You should NOT run the motor with just the flushing hose attached. What was the temperature and water pressure, while running the motor on the muffs only?

6. Member
    I can’t get it to pee with muffs. So I don’t run it long. Temp never got over 48 Celsius. I can submerge lower unit in barrel and rev slightly and it will start peeing. Again, temp never got very hot. Also this unit has low water pickup. It also has side water pickups. With back flush hooked up and engine off, water does not come out the port side head. Even back flushing through that head hose nipple, it does not go through the motor. That’s why I’m thinking there is a dirt clog or something.

7. Member
    I don’t recall the water pressure

8. Member
    Thanks, I'll check that.

9. Member
    Stop connecting to the flush port.
    When using Muffs, the 4 holes in the lower unit must be covered, with a low water pick-up bra, or tape.
    Thermostats open around 130*F, so if you don't let the motor get that hot, then the thermostats won't be open.
    If the motor is NOT "Peeing", then the compressor strainer must be removed and cleaned.

10. Member
    Thank you Savage!

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Stop connecting to the flush port.
    When using Muffs, the 4 holes in the lower unit must be covered, with a low water pick-up bra, or tape.
    Thermostats open around 130*F, so if you don't let the motor get that hot, then the thermostats won't be open.
    If the motor is NOT "Peeing", then the compressor strainer must be removed and cleaned.
    +1... or the obstruction in the Compressor Cooling Circuit (which includes the telltale fitting) cleared.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor