Mercury 4 stoke help

Have new Merc. 4/stroke 150 HP.
    How many plugs are you running in your prop?
    Currently have none but have ordered a set and plan to try some.
    2B544452
    Last edited by 5keepers2; 03-29-2018 at 08:04 AM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Have new Merc. 4/stroke 150 HP.
    How many plugs are you running in your prop?
    Currently have none but have ordered a set and plan to try some.
    I saw a video and believe Don mentioned the 4S should be fine with all solid plugs installed. I have tried small and large, and just bought solids two days ago. I plan to install them this weekend and hope to see if they perform any differently.

BTW Don will request you add your engine serial number in accordance with this forums rules.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

3. Member
    The guys at Mercury Racing told me that the PVS plugs don't effect anything on the 4 strokes because of the torque curve. That's pretty much what I confirmed through trial and error and now have all solid plugs in my Bravo 1 FS prop. Pad to prop has more effect than anything I tried thus far.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... Usually start with all solids in place (add PVS only if necessary to achieve planing/holeshot).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Banned
    Not sure what boat or prop you have, but I have a Basscat Sabre with trophy plus and no vent ring or pvs plugs. It had large holed plugs in the prop initially and removing them surprisingly made a difference even being a small hub.

They absolutely DO make a difference on my 200 verado, maybe not as much torque down low as a n/a model?

7. Member
    I have a 150 4- stroke on a aluminum 1875 Lund impact . It had large plugs from the day I bought it. But night fishing drove me nuts trying to maintain slow speed (15mph )because the prop kept cavatating. I put solid plugs in this morning hopefully I'll get the boat out next week to try it out.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E