150 TRIM problems

I have a 2018 150 4 stroke serial number 2B467082 that I had the trim unit replaced under warranty. Now I seem to be having a different issue which may well be operator error. I have the smartcraft systems monitor and I set it up [I think] according to the op. manual 0.0 full trim in position, 10.0 full trim out position and 20.0 full trailer out position. When I power up and get on plane it will not go above 3.3 and seems to me that it needs to trim up a little more to get optimum speed and performance. It trims up fine with the boat sitting stiil but not powered up. Wondering do I have something calibrated wrong or is something still not right with the trim unit? What happens if I restore to factory default settings? Does that mean I will have to recalibrate every mode? Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by lperry; 03-28-2018 at 09:47 PM.

2. Member
    I have new one also......two weeks old tomorrow.
    Mine does same thing. I think that is way it is set at factory,
    While under power it will only trim up so far and that is it.
    I could be wrong and I hope someone comes along that knows details.

3. Member
    Maybe Don will help when he sees this.

If you have a System Monitor on a 2018 boat, I have to ask WHY? A Mercmonitor is so much better!

Now that I have that off my chest, your trim needs to be set up properly. You need to know whether you have a digital or analog trim sender. If it is a digital trim sender, you calibrate it. I do this through my Mercmonitor. I don’t know how it works using other Smartcraft gauges. If it is an analog sender, you must slightly twist it in place with screws barely tightened. It is a PITA and if you had a dealer install it, THEY should have completed that step.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    IT IS A 97 RANGER

6. Member
    I have both analog and digital trim.

You cannot have both. Their is only one spot for the trim sender.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    You cannot have both. Their is only one spot for the trim sender.
    I do have both and they are working. Have used both each time I have put boat in water.
    A total of 5 times in the two weeks I have had new motor.
    When on plane trim will only come up so far and stop. To me it seems it should come just a tad higher for best results.
    I am thinking it is factory setting that can't be changed.
    Added: I have been reading manual. If I understand correct there is 20 degrees of trim that can be used at plane speed.
    The remaining degrees are tilt degrees used when not on plane.
    Last edited by 5keepers2; 03-30-2018 at 12:17 PM.

You probably have a digital sender with a digital trim gauge mimicing an analog display and of course the digital signal to the Smartcraft network but you cannot have both. I installed the above setup on my last two boats.

I really think you guys just need to calibrate your digital trim and you will be good to go.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 03-31-2018 at 09:12 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I do have both and they are working. Have used both each time I have put boat in water.
    A total of 5 times in the two weeks I have had new motor.
    When on plane trim will only come up so far and stop. To me it seems it should come just a tad higher for best results.
    I am thinking it is factory setting that can't be changed.
    Added: I have been reading manual. If I understand correct there is 20 degrees of trim that can be used at plane speed.
    The remaining degrees are tilt degrees used when not on plane.
    I have a 2016 150 four stroke, and mine does the same thing. I’ve always had two strokes in the past, and they all trimmed up more. I took it to the dealer and was told, “That’s just the way it is.”

11. Member
    I see the same with my 2017 Merc 150 4 stroke. I trim out to the stop and if I had a few more degrees left, I would get higher top speed. I need more trim. I just installed a jack plate to see if I can get more leverage to lift bow at max trim.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The "Digital OR Analog" rules change in the 4-stroke lineup... and to make matters even more fun, they aren't the same on all of the models. So we need to look at these items on a CASE BY CASE (Serial Number) basis only.

lperry: When you were calibrating your trim, did you adapt FULL DOWN by holding the trim FULL DOWN and stalling it for at least 3 seconds PRIOR TO SETTING DOWN?

Also, did you use an ANGLE-FINDER to determine where 20 degrees above "full down" is? That is your FULL TRIM position (then save).

And finally, did you save full TILT (or Trailer) position that you could safely raise the engine up to (without contacting objects)?

The above is the CORRECT way.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Thanks Don. The answer is no to all the above. The manual does not specify those things but I will do that. Freezing rain today but will do that next week.