Prop to pad height

Heys guys just wondering what a safe height to run a 250 Pro xs torquemaster lower is to avoid blowout would be? Going from owning a ranger to this I’m trying to learn all I can. Any suggestions? Running 28p 4 blade. Motor just finishing break in so played with it very little. Thanks guys.

2. Member
    I am going to assume that you are running a Stroker with this 250 Pro XS and torquemaster lower. That boat with this motor and a Sportmaster is capable of 100mph with right prop and driver. With a Torquemaster it will go fast enough to blow out. I would keep the motor at or below the pad and stay under 85 with it if it will run that speed. It will blow out at speeds over 85!

3. Member
    Yeah 2012 Stroker. I have an 8 yr warranty so for now staying with torquemaster lower. I figure I’ll take the max to 80-82. Just didn’t know if it could blow out at say 70 if it was to high. Once I learn this set up I may buy a sportsmaster and swap lowers if I run into a warranty issue.
    Last edited by 21Stroker; 03-27-2018 at 06:43 PM.

4. Member
    In the 70’s you will lose water pressure before you blow out unless you just way over trim.

5. Member
    Do you have a water pres gage, if so you will want to keep the WP no lower than 15 lbs to be safe on the motor. I don't know if a TM will blow out at a high engine heigth before losing WP but someone should come along with that info. Welcome to the Stroker group.

6. Member
    Thank you sir. And yes I have water pressure on smartcraft as well as a guage.

7. Member
    If you watch the WP and don't go over 84/85 you should be OK. Is the gauge manual or smart craft, I replaced the smart craft gauge with a manual gauge as it reads quicker than the smart craft. I also have the merc monitor which shows WP but I use the manual gauge. By the time the SC gauge would read 12 lbs the motor was reading over temp and going into guardian mode, there wasn't time to react to the drop in WP..

8. Member
    The Stroker should get easier to drive with seat time. I would start even with the pad and watch the water pres and temp, it should get easier to drive as you go above the pad. I have painted lines on the jack plate showing different heights, this is for a quick ref so I know when I'm flush with pad or 1.5 above and so on.

9. Member
    You also probably have the rubber mounts instead of the solid mounts. That too can make it harder to drive. Once you do learn to drive it, going to solid mounts and a sportsmaster will seem very tame, much easier to drive.

10. Member
    You going to love that stroker!!!it is the black and red trim one isnt it?

I just noticed that your from Carterville Illinois, your around 2 hours away from me. If you have any questions or problems I would be glad to help if I can.
    2009 Stroker (Frankenstein)

12. Member
    Awesome guys I appreciate the help. Bassworm yeah it’s the black with red trim. Frankenstein I appreciate that I may take you up on that.

13. Member
    Pick you up a sport master and just swap them out if you have issues. I run a 250xs and that’s a great setup

14. Member
    Yeah that’s my goal. Just bought an ultrex probably upgrade graphs then look into a sportsmaster.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21Stroker View Post
    Yeah that’s my goal. Just bought an ultrex probably upgrade graphs then look into a sportsmaster.
    Which graphs do you have that you may sell?

16. Member
    I honestly have turned them on for probably 5 min on the water so I need to do some scanning and see if their what I want. I had humminbird on my boat I sold. This one is a lowrance hds9 gen 2 touch.