Thread: Lithium Pros?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Just read an article written by the President of Lithium Pro and he says the batteries should be kept below 105 degrees. Seems like this might be an issue for those of us in the deep South
    2013 Allison BasSport Pro
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BullMerc250 View Post
    You need to check out "Nuked Products" lithium batteries. They are much cheaper than the Lithium Pro or Relion batteries and they do not require a special charging system like the other brands. I run them in my 721 Phoenix and my dad runs them in his XB21 Allison and they have been awesome!!
    The only issue I see with Nuked batteries is they are only 55ah. That means at 24v or 36v they are still only 55ah. Has that ever been an issue so far?

3. Member
    True, they don't like heat. Some of the flashlight folks store their unused Lithium Ion batteries in their refrigerator.

Another thing about LI batteries that does not make it ideal as a starting battery is that they don't like it when they are fully charged. It lowers their lifespan. If you have a battery setup used in trolling service I would only charge it to 50% or so until you are about to use it then charge it up.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    1999 Allison w/01 200 Pro Max
    2000 Dodge w/Cummins

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dspencer View Post
    True, they don't like heat. Some of the flashlight folks store their unused Lithium Ion batteries in their refrigerator.

Another thing about LI batteries that does not make it ideal as a starting battery is that they don't like it when they are fully charged. It lowers their lifespan. If you have a battery setup used in trolling service I would only charge it to 50% or so until you are about to use it then charge it up.
    Thanks for the info!
    2013 Allison BasSport Pro
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    I've been running the M3130-36CK for 2 years now. Even running an Ultrex I can't kill them. About 2 weeks ago I fished from daylight to dark from Saturday to Wednesday on Guntersville in the wind and didn't plug them in until the night before the tournament.

I run the 2 battery kit because I fish for smallmouth in the Current.

Did I mention that I am a Lithium Pro dealer?
    I have been thinking about this. I keep a pontoon with a 70 volt trolling motor on a mooring ball. Could I run one of these and would the 135 hp merc keep it charged with minimal running? It stinks pulling out of lake to charge, thank you , Brian

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianl View Post
    I have been thinking about this. I keep a pontoon with a 70 volt trolling motor on a mooring ball. Could I run one of these and would the 135 hp merc keep it charged with minimal running? It stinks pulling out of lake to charge, thank you , Brian
    I think I'd be installing a 20 watt solar panel and charge controller to keep them topped up.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Quote Originally Posted by Pickwicked Basser View Post
    The only issue I see with Nuked batteries is they are only 55ah. That means at 24v or 36v they are still only 55ah. Has that ever been an issue so far?
    But 2 would be 110ah right?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    But 2 would be 110ah right?
    Not in series. In series the voltage goes up but amperage remains the same. Parallel the voltage remains the same but amperage goes up.
    Series: two 12v 55ah batteries = 24v 55ah
    Parallel: two 12v 55ah batteries = 12v 110ah

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Battle Born offers a 24v 50ah for $999
    12v 50ah for $575
    12v 100ah for $949
    Designed, and manufactured in the US. A great company to deal with. You can get a little more off using my coupon code: Thecouponofbuck You also receive free shipping in the lower 48. I run 3 12v 100ah for my ultrex and they last for days if I need them to. Just thought I would throw out another option.

I don't know. They don't have normal ratings on them like a lead acid CCA, MCA and Reserve Capacity so, I am lost when it comes to them and what I need. That's a lot of money to spend for a product that I don't understand.

Not in series. In series the voltage goes up but amperage remains the same. Parallel the voltage remains the same but amperage goes up.
    Series: two 12v 55ah batteries = 24v 55ah
    Parallel: two 12v 55ah batteries = 12v 110ah
    Also, with more volts you dont need as many amps to make power? Seems like with Golfcarts I had a 48 volt cart with a 500 amp controller. I was getting ready to go 72 volts with a 300 amp controller. From what I remember I didn't need 500 amps at 72 volts. With this in mind would I need more than 55ah in 24 volt? This shit is way more confusing than it should be!...........lol

12. Member
    I just bought 2 60ah 12v lithiums.... for my 80 Ultrex. I'm told I will never have to worry about power.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

13. Member
    Also, with more volts you dont need as many amps to make power? Seems like with Golfcarts I had a 48 volt cart with a 500 amp controller. I was getting ready to go 72 volts with a 300 amp controller. From what I remember I didn't need 500 amps at 72 volts. With this in mind would I need more than 55ah in 24 volt? This shit is way more confusing than it should be!...........lol
    I agree the electrical stuff gets confusing quick. Yes as the voltage goes up the amp draw goes down. I know my 80lb thrust terrova is rated at 52 amp max. It’s highly unlikely you will run it on high for an hour constantly but if so you would kill a 55ah rated battery in just over an hour.

I agree the electrical stuff gets confusing quick. Yes as the voltage goes up the amp draw goes down. I know my 80lb thrust terrova is rated at 52 amp max. It’s highly unlikely you will run it on high for an hour constantly but if so you would kill a 55ah rated battery in just over an hour.

So with that said.......Will two 55ah batteries wired for 24 volts last an hour under those same conditions? Surely two 55ah hour batteries wired for 24 volts will last longer than one 55ah battery. I understand that two 12 volt batteries wired up at 24 does not double the ah's and it becomes a 55ah 24 volt set up. Am I missing the boat here?

I was confused as well and had to make a spread sheet. I typically fish all day at under 15% and most of the time at 10%. At that it 50 will run an 80lb troller for over just under 11 hours. I figure stops offset the occasional speed bursts. What confuses me like I think others is the straight math doesn’t seem to align with what we all experience on the water and the reviews others have given. I know I have went a lot longer on my optimas that have a similar rating. I have fished a two day 8hr tournament without charging.

I was running slow by the by the end of day 2. Is the rating until dead or decreased capacity?
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

16. Member
    So with that said.......Will two 55ah batteries wired for 24 volts last an hour under those same conditions? Surely two 55ah hour batteries wired for 24 volts will last longer than one 55ah battery. I understand that two 12 volt batteries wired up at 24 does not double the ah's and it becomes a 55ah 24 volt set up. Am I missing the boat here?
    It doesn’t matter if it’s 12v, 24v, or 36v if they are all pulling the same amperage they will all kill the battery(ies) in the same amount of time if each battery is the same. Where the higher voltage benefits is it takes less amps to do equal amounts of work. River Rocket is correct in that most cases we as a whole are fishing at slower settings on the trolling motor thus extending the charge on a battery. Where it can become a factor is fishing the tail race of a dam where the current is fast.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    What confuses me like I think others is the straight math doesn’t seem to align with what we all experience on the water and the reviews others have given. I know I have went a lot longer on my optimas that have a similar rating. I have fished a two day 8hr tournament without charging.

I was running slow by the by the end of day 2. Is the rating until dead or decreased capacity?
    I would be interested in hearing a more expert explanation of this as well.

18. Member
    In a perfect world where theory rules an amp hour is an amp hour is an amp hour. However wiring size, battery discharge efficiency wh n hot vs cold, all matter very much and don’t show up in theoretical charts. Factor in rotor slip or brush loss on the trolling motor and it really gets crazy. I trust what a man with actual experience has to say more than data (propaganda) put out by a manufacturer. I went with my setup because I talked to Powell and others who were running Lithium Pro’s under some tough and rigorous conditions using about the same troller as me. My batteries and those of the others I spoke to have not let us down 1 time and far exceeded my expectation. I don’t know what else to say. Sometimes you have to stop cutting bait up and start fishing. ������

19. Member
    I just know I have 2 12v 50AH lithiums for my 24 volt troller. Fishing the past week, 10 or so hours a day, on speed 1 mostly but times at 2-3 depending on wind. No issues what so ever. I don't know how many amps my troller pulls. The current 70# motorguides pulls 42 amps and the 80 pulls 52amps so I imagine 46-48amps is what mine pulls.

20. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by chad202 View Post
    I just know I have 2 12v 50AH lithiums for my 24 volt troller. Fishing the past week, 10 or so hours a day, on speed 1 mostly but times at 2-3 depending on wind. No issues what so ever. I don't know how many amps my troller pulls. The current 70# motorguides pulls 42 amps and the 80 pulls 52amps so I imagine 46-48amps is what mine pulls.
    At lower speeds however you wont "pull" as much as on high. The cutrent rating trolling motors advertise is max current. Chances are even on speed 10 you are not pulling the max rated amps. Best way to tell is with a clamp on amp probe to see if you ever wanted to know. I probably could have got away using 50ah batteries. I just went ahead and went with the 100ah. Like I stated above I've went days between charging them. Not that I really need more than 12hrs of trolling time in one day. I just purposely went without charging them just to see how long they would last. I've logged 18hrs of fishing on a river system that spanned over a 3 day period without charging my batteries without any issues or lack of power at all.
    Last edited by Buck456; 04-02-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast