Newton and Southern IL reports?

There's a good chance I am fishing Newton Wednesday and will probably hit another lake around Carbondale on Friday and then over the weekend. Anyone hear anything about conditions? Any information is appreciated.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

2. Member
    I was at newton last saturday and did well on spinnerbaits near the bank both on the hot and cold side . I would suspect the hot side is now super muddy and the cold side might be . The cold side tends to stay a little clearer but with enough rain it might all be chocolate milk . The only up side is that it could be HOT chocolate if the plant is running .

3. Member
    Or warm chocolate

Thanks for the update.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5

5. Banned
    The bite has been really good on a few small lakes down there.Will be headed that way next week for a shot at a double dig bass.

6. Member
    did you make it to newton ? if so how did it go ? tea or chocolate milk?

Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    It was muddy on the hot side but the cold water side was only stained. Fishing was slow. We got a lot more rain Thursday. I spent Friday at Cedar Lake and was actually surprised the water wasn't muddier than it was.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5

I'd have a hard time driving past Clinton to go ANYWHERE right now. They opened it up above Dewitt on Friday and although I wasn't able to fish, I definitely got enough texts to let me know that I should have skipped work and fished instead. If this Winter/early Spring is any indication, Clinton is going to be even better this year than it's been in the past.

9. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    I'd have a hard time driving past Clinton to go ANYWHERE right now. They opened it up above Dewitt on Friday and although I wasn't able to fish, I definitely got enough texts to let me know that I should have skipped work and fished instead. If this Winter/early Spring is any indication, Clinton is going to be even better this year than it's been in the past.

Thanks for for the update.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

10. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    I always enjoy a follow up report too.
    Last edited by Basscaster; 04-07-2018 at 06:22 PM.

11. Member
    Heard rumors they will rarely be running Newton power plant anymore, using Coffeen and various nuke plants instead. Any truth to this?
    We were there when it was muddy 2 weeks ago(poor fishing), temps only in the 50s on hot side...usually 60s and 70s by plant that time of year. Ended up going to Coffeen that Friday, plant running, water warm, fish biting.
    Just curious.

12. Member
    I was there twice in March and did very well. Mid-march bites were harder to come by, but I attributed it to colder whether and fish just not quite ready to get up (biggest was 5.25), next weekend I went back and we blew them out of the water (two 6lbers one of the days). Other than some sporadic big bites, we caught a TON of 2.5-4lb fish. It's true the aren't running the plant as much, and temps indicate it's closer to a typical non-plant lake in Illinoig; but the pedigree in that lake should not be taken for granted.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purduephigam View Post
    I was there twice in March and did very well. Mid-march bites were harder to come by, but I attributed it to colder whether and fish just not quite ready to get up (biggest was 5.25), next weekend I went back and we blew them out of the water (two 6lbers one of the days). Other than some sporadic big bites, we caught a TON of 2.5-4lb fish. It's true the aren't running the plant as much, and temps indicate it's closer to a typical non-plant lake in Illinoig; but the pedigree in that lake should not be taken for granted.
    Which lake are you referring to?

14. Member
    Fished a tournament this past Saturday on kinkaid. With the conditions I would have never guess it would take 31lbs to win (6 fish limit).

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbraq View Post
    Which lake are you referring to?
    Newton.