Question Repowering Skeeter ZX200 with 150 SHO?

Repowering ZX200 with 150 SHO? Originally it has a 200 SHO.

I know, an odd question, since most want to go faster, not slower. But, we've got a 2009 ZX200 and the 2012-ish SHO 200 just blew - water in oil, water/oil mixture sprayed inside cowling, etc. It's currently getting looked at by the dealer and insurance. But, should we need a rebuild, or something extreme like a new long block, I'm contemplating re-powering with a new motor. We live on a fairly small lake (1500 acres) and rarely go above 30/40mph; mostly cruise back home after out fishing at under 30mph. We like the size of the zx200 with it's single console configuration on our boat as it gives great fishability. I know the SHO 150 isn't much lighter and loses a lot of torque to the bigger 4.2L motor, but will it adequately get itself on plane? The price point is nicer and cowling is smaller. Granted the availability still sucks currently with Yamaha. Any feedback from yall?

I've cross-posted this question in this forum from the Skeeter forum for more visibility - hope that's ok?

2. Banned
    If you can't get the 4.2L do a little research on the i4 200. I think they make a 20" mid and it wont hurt the resale vale of your boat. I wouldn't consider a 150...jmo

3. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    I wouldn't do it. It would feel quite underpowered. The 200 SHO isn't exactly a beast on that boat. WOT is about 65 mph.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

4. Member
    Good feedback, y'all. Thanks. Got similar info from the Skeeter forum section guys. The 200SHO worked nicely and ran quiet, but it's wasn't a screamer when we did go all out, that's true. But that was very rare we did that on our smaller lake. Will stick with a 4 stroke, but it doesn't have to be Yamaha I suppose (can I say that in here?). The SHO will likely be repairable, just a matter of how close to a new unit I'd be once all figured out.

5. Member
    Well, the estimate is in. Not sure yet if insurance will cover yet - waiting on them now. Over $15k. Needs a new long-block. :-( Not too far off from a new entire unit, if one could be found!
    Last edited by boarder1995; 04-12-2018 at 03:47 PM.