Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar

Question trolling motor shaft length - Sun Tracker Party Barge 20 DLX

Hi all, my dad is elderly, probably won't be able to go fishing anymore after this summer as he's getting feeble and his mobility is limited.

He has a Party Barge 20DLX pontoon. He wants to go fishing so bad off this pontoon, but it has no electronics and no trolling motor. Spending a thousand dollars in retractable trolling motors, extra batteries, chargers, depth finders, etc. is not an option because of the situation.

I want to add a clamp on style troller to the front deck that can be removed (maybe used a couple of times). I have found the longest shaft clamp on style trolling motor is about 42" long.

With the TM as low as it will go, will this work as a temporary trolling motor?

thanks

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

2. Member
    5 foot shaft for the bow. Get a quick release plate too.

3. Member
    I have just about the same boat. 48 is the shortest as you can go and that is pushing it.

4. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Weeks ago, I bought a clamp-on hand steer MinnKota Endura 42" shaft 55lb trolling motor. The clamp would not mount to the front deck because the metal trim around the edge of the pontoon deck was too thick. We got it mounted to the rear of the pontoon on the fixed ladder mount and the shaft went down into the water far enough to clear the pontoon. Someone had to be back there to manually raise the unit and steer us as we fished down the bank. After the trip, I removed the trolling motor and battery. My dad is elderly and that was indeed his last trip. No need to invest in an $600-800 solution for one trip. Mission accomplished.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak