Installing Jack Plate

Greetings,

I have a Ranger 185 VS and received a new ZLock manual 6" jack plate to install. I noticed that the jack plate has the holes pre-drilled on the plate and from front to back the offset is very close to 2 1/2" offset from the transom plate to the motor plate when the plate is adjusted to be even at the bottom. Currently, my Merc 150 is bolted directly to the transom setback in the third (Middle) hole on the mounting plate of the motor. I understand the transom is constructed at an angle and the setback will move the motor down. I also measured the distance from pad to prop center and it appears as though it is very close to 4" Read the instructions that came with the plate but it is really pretty vague other than the bolt torque specifications and torque check warnings. Questions:

1). Should the motor be mounted on the plate in its' lowest position i.e., top hole?

2). Should I be aiming for 3 1/2" pad to prop as a starting point?

Would really like to install the motor on the plate just once. Any and all input appreciated.

David G

2. Member
    Mount the motor in the second or third hole down from the top. You will have to adjust the motor up or down after you run the boat to learn where it runs best but 3 1/2" under is a good place to start with the adjustment half way up. That gives you up or down adjustment after you mount the motor and plate to the boat.