198 vs Skeeter ZX225

Recently had a chance to check out Skeeter’s under 20 foot ZX225. Nice boat. Still like the 198 better. While the Skkeeter’s front deck is 117 inches long the area across the pedestal seat is 60 inches. The Champ 198 is 64 arcross the front seat pedestal where I do most of my fishing and much roomier. I did like the fact that the 198 also has removable consoles. 2 week’s.
    Last edited by Sports1; 03-27-2018 at 09:37 AM.

2. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    That’s one long deck ,I do like the longer deck as my Rods are not under my feet.Its a personal preference on which one works .

3. Member
    I can fit as many rods as I need in the 198. I like the depth of the 198 storage as well. And it is more area where I fish up front.

4. Member
    If you have never taken a choppy water ride in a ZX, I would suggest you do so.

5. Member
    I agree on taking a ride!!! I gotta go with the 198 myself!!!!!

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie206 View Post

Yep.

7. Member
    I agree.

8. Member
    I would even take the new Pantera Classic over the ZX225. While the Pantera Classic’ss deck length is 95 inch long, the width at the front seat pedal is 62.5. Not as wide up front as the 198 of course but definitely wider that the ZX225 and you can really tell in person when at the front.

never been in one, might have to take a ride in one.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy Rod View Post
    never been in one, might have to take a ride in one.

Due to how the hull is made in the front, it has a pounding feel. More stable at rest, but the lack of the deep V is noticeable in waves over 1’.

I don’t think the BassCat would be any better.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Due to how the hull is made in the front, it has a pounding feel. More stable at rest, but the lack of the deep V is noticeable in waves over 1’.

I don’t think the BassCat would be any better.
    I'm not sure about the Panterra Classic, but I can tell you my Puma rode every bit as good as my 496 and it was a dryer ride. I love my 496 and it rides great and it does some things better but it does not out ride the Puma I just came from. The Panterra 4 is built like the Puma, but almost 12" shorter. The classic and 4 are both 19 1/2' boats basically, but the classic does have a slightly different hull. Just calling it like I see it.

12. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Been in cougar and puma many times not even close to the ride of a 496/596 .When the wind get the rollers going that’s when the charger really comes to life.Never been wet in the 596 even on loz with 5 foot walls of water.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    I'm not sure about the Panterra Classic, but I can tell you my Puma rode every bit as good as my 496 and it was a dryer ride. I love my 496 and it rides great and it does some things better but it does not out ride the Puma I just came from. The Panterra 4 is built like the Puma, but almost 12" shorter. The classic and 4 are both 19 1/2' boats basically, but the classic does have a slightly different hull. Just calling it like I see it.
    Good objective info from someone who has owned both. Thanks Barbarian
    Last edited by Sports1; 03-30-2018 at 12:15 PM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Been in cougar and puma many times not even close to the ride of a 496/596 .When the wind get the rollers going that’s when the charger really comes to life.Never been wet in the 596 even on loz with 5 foot walls of water.
    Might be true in 5’s, but I’m not going out in 5’s no matter how big the boat is. A 596 is different animal at almost 22’. My opinion comes from 2-3’s which are common in 15-20 mph winds which also seem to be common where I fish. The 496 and Puma are both great boats with great rides, but they are intentionally completely different hulls. It’s very possible for somebody to have a different opinion because it comes down to needs, expectations, and what is more important to that person. I’ve already hijacked the thread so I’m checking out.
    Last edited by barbarian; 03-30-2018 at 02:27 PM.

I have to admit I wasn't real impressed when I first started looking over the new Classic. I was just ho hum about it until I took it for test ride. The performance was top notch and very impressive. It actually reminded me of the older skinny Champs when running. Put em side by side with the 19'8 and it'd be tough for me to pick. The Caracal would be a better comparison to the 198. While different hulls altogether, they're both the big wide bodies.

If Charger does as well of a job on the 198 as it did the 210 they'll sell well.

Back to the original question I'd go with the 198 over the Skeeter.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Might be true in 5’s, but I’m not going out in 5’s no matter how big the boat is. A 596 is different animal at almost 22’. My opinion comes from 2-3’s which are common in 15-20 mph winds which also seem to be common where I fish. The 496 and Puma are both great boats with great rides, but they are intentionally completely different hulls. It’s very possible for somebody to have a different opinion because it comes down to needs, expectations, and what is more important to that person. I’ve already hijacked the thread so I’m checking out.

Nah stay with us, just talking boats and we all love to talk about them. My previous boat was a Skeeter zx185 and it was like driving a Porsche. Holeshot was lightning fast, cornered on a dime, such a fun boat to drive...until the wind blew and holy moly, I had no clue how rough it really rode until I bought my 198.

I have not ridden in the Pantera classic, but I asked the dealership about it. He said, “if you drive it hard in the waves it’s not too bad. If you try to baby it in the waves, it’ll beat the hell out of you”. But these guys are used to running Eyras and Jaguars, so I’m guessing most boats smaller than those 2 will be rougher.