Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger vs triton

Hey dudes just wondering looking at a 1996 Ranger 481vs with a 150 Merc hydraulic jack plate and and a hot foot with an LMS one system comparing that to a 2003 Triton TR 186 with no Jack Plate no hot foot Humminbird 898c HD and a helix 5 Merc 150 on the back x6r just wondering what your guys thoughts on comparing the differences between these two boats

2. Member
    I am not a big merc fan but I will tell you the xr6 engines are one of the most dependable engines out there.I see the triton is a newer boat but this a pretty tough choice knowing rangers reputation.If both boats are priced about the same I would probably go with the triton especially since the engine is also newer.Good luck on your choice
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

3. Member
    Triton..

I've had both boats and I'd choose the Triton, you can usually find a 6" jackplate fairly inexpensive and hot foots are an inexpensive option.

The Ranger has a slightly better fishing platform but the Triton tops it everywhere else as far as ride quality, speed and handling not to mention the technology difference between the two year models.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

5. Member
    the ranger 482 was one of the better hulls for ranger. no its not a 20 or 21 footer so you will not have the ride quality of the bigger boat but ranger quality is something to consider. the triton will be a good boat as well but I can guarantee the craftsmanship will be less than the ranger. for me it would depend on the condition. I think they are evenly matched.

6. Member
    Ive got a 2003 tr21, i know not the same. But its built solid. That year they had a lifetime warranty on hull, so i would hope its held up well. Condition is everything, and make sure you take to a mechanic to get the motors checked. Because really thats what you are paying for.

7. Member
    I owned an old 18' Ranger 365V, and i'm currently in a 2007 Triton 215X walleye boat.
    I loved that old ranger, and even some of the fit and finishes in that ranger were better in that 30 year old boat, than in my 10 year old Triton.
    Don't get me wrong, i love my Triton, but if i were you deciding between those 2 boats, if the condition of both boats were similiar, i'd take the Ranger hands down, even with it being 7 years older.
    Those 400 series Rangers were, (and still are) legendary.
    The awesome thing about old rangers, is that you could call them up today and still get parts for them...i honestly don;t know if you could do that with an old triton though.

8. Member
    The Triton if it is in good condition.

9. Banned
    If condition is the same, you'll regret not getting the Ranger

10. Member
    Triton.

11. Member
    Triton..

12. Member
    Triton

13. Banned
    Did You look at Basscat™?

To get a 'Triton' they just added a "T" to 'nitro' ...

Just joshing... Kings X ----------->

To answer Your question: Out of those 2, the Triton. Due to younger and as was pointed out the XR6 is a dependable motor.

** Fool Disclosure ** I have a Ranger Z-118 w/a Mercury and no jackplate in Flori-Duh..

Kinda like asking do you want a little bit older Cadillac or a slightly newer Honda Civic. IMHO ofcourse.

15. Member
    Pick the one with the better motor. If all things were equal, I would go with the Triton, but motor is more important.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    Ranger is a stable fishing platform, a bit on the slow side, well made, but made to be a conservative approach to performance. Thats not a bad thing, just a different approach. The Triton is a bit faster, not quite as stable at rest, but more aggresive in the performance area. as to build quality, apples to apples.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thenatural814 View Post
    Hey dudes just wondering looking at a 1996 Ranger 481vs with a 150 Merc hydraulic jack plate and and a hot foot with an LMS one system comparing that to a 2003 Triton TR 186 with no Jack Plate no hot foot Humminbird 898c HD and a helix 5 Merc 150 on the back x6r just wondering what your guys thoughts on comparing the differences between these two boats

So so many variables we do not have

the dock rash of each boat - engine hours of each ... overall niceness of each boat ... how well it looks like each were taken care of ...

most important price of each ... you didn’t say

try to convey some more info and I can give you a more informed opinion

all things being equal I am certain the 97 ranger still used marine plywood in some places and possibly the last year used in transom on that model - the Triton will have zero marine plywood as tritons have always been wood free ...so there is that to consider
    Last edited by Lunker_Hunter; 04-13-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    2018 Ranger 521L / Evinrude 250 G2

18. Member
    There really isn't a wrong answer.
    They are both good legitimate choices.
    Condition and layout preference would be Key for me.
    Go with your gut.
    Last edited by LOSTTEXAN; 04-21-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

19. Member
    I owned a 2003 TR186 with the same motor. Great ride, fished like a larger boat. Never had any issues. Still in a Triton today and my first boat was a ranger!

20. Member
    Triton..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast