Thread: HP Rating

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HP Rating

Many have asked but could someone from Vexus answer the question on the HP rating? Myself and others do not understand why the 19 footer is only rated for a 150 when Xpress has a 19 rated for 200. I have a 19 foot 10 Inch glass boat rated for a 225. Phoenix, Skeeter, Triton and Ranger all have 19Ft. 225 boats those are the ones I know off the top of my head I'm sure there are more. I would like to make a switch to Tin but not at that HP reduction. Is the answer 150 is what the Coast Guard will approve or is 150HP what Vexus wants as a rating?

2. Banned
    My guess is price point. They are trying to target a specific buyer, I agree it should be a 200 hp rating. I have a ranger z118 that's rated for a 150 but the 518 us rated for 200. It's the exact same boat, but each targeting a specific buyer. Be cool if they came out with a "tournament edition" that ups the hp to 200 and adds a few goodies like dual axle trailer and stuff... I'm sure time will tell.

3. Banned
    Must not be able to handle a 200. I’m sure they’d tested one with a 200 ......

my question exactly...why is an 18'10" boat rated only to 115 when my 17ft Ranger is rated to 130

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

coast guard formula for maximum but manufacturers can label them less if they choose, maybe with the amount of pad they are unsafe for "everybody" with a 200, they are launching a new model every month till they have 24 in the line up, wait a bit and see what comes
    Last edited by Fishysam; 03-27-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    We rated these boats for 150 horsepower, because this is where they handled and preformed good, and keeping in mind we are aiming at a certain market / price point.
    Don't be surprised if you see a slightly different model with a higher horsepower engine coming out in the Vexus factory in the not to distant future,,,

see now if its the same specs and has a higher hp limit i wont understand, you could always rate them for there max but push less hp on dealers and people like if a 150 rigged cost 12k, and a 200 cost 13k, but the upgrade was 2k to the customer everyone would be happy enough i would think, i can think of a company that is modeled like your saying, and honestly id rather have the base boat with the larger hp, cause im not into fluff i wont use but had to get so i could have mx hp.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    My guess is price point. They are trying to target a specific buyer, I agree it should be a 200 hp rating. I have a ranger z118 that's rated for a 150 but the 518 us rated for 200. It's the exact same boat, but each targeting a specific buyer. Be cool if they came out with a "tournament edition" that ups the hp to 200 and adds a few goodies like dual axle trailer and stuff... I'm sure time will tell.
    They already have a tournament edition with a 150HP setup.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    Don't be surprised if you see a slightly different model with a higher horsepower engine coming out in the Vexus factory in the not to distant future,,,
    Man you're killin me with this stuff!!!! I'm getting too old for all this suspense!!!

Could you please just tell us if you're gonna do a 20'+ version with a 250 rating???

If so I need to know ASAP so I can start moving some money around.
    Last edited by Original Tin; 03-27-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    see now if its the same specs and has a higher hp limit i wont understand, you could always rate them for there max but push less hp on dealers and people like if a 150 rigged cost 12k, and a 200 cost 13k, but the upgrade was 2k to the customer everyone would be happy enough i would think, i can think of a company that is modeled like your saying, and honestly id rather have the base boat with the larger hp, cause im not into fluff i wont use but had to get so i could have mx hp.
    I think a lot of people would, and that is exactly why manufacturers do this... they would sell less of the higher end models (which they prob make more money on and would rather people have) if people could get the go fast for cheaper. Basically if you want the highest HP you are going to pay a premium for it...

EDIT: not picking on Vexus for this as I dont even know if that is in their business model, just speaking from what I have seen other companies do in the past. I hope Vexus releases a bunch of great models cause I like what I saw the Classic Expo
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

11. Member
    I guess I'm one of the few who wants a nice quality boat that can still perform well with a smaller engine.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

12. Member
    I wonder if it is because the entire hull is not .125 aluminum. My understanding is just the transom is thicker while xpress and other higher HP aluminum boats are thicker gauge thru out. I am by no means a engineer, just a thought.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    We rated these boats for 150 horsepower, because this is where they handled and preformed good, and keeping in mind we are aiming at a certain market / price point.
    sad they bypass the coast guard ratings for max hp to keep there price point in line. if its rated for a certain hp put the sticker on there.
    years from purchase some one may want to repower and your stuck with a under powered hull because of a price point 10 years ago.
    like the government telling you what's best for you. did the engineers test one with a two hundred to see how it performed ? does anybody
    besides ranger and now vexus rate there boats less than approved just to get you to buy a higher priced boat of same size with more options ?
    sounds like ranger type thinking came into the nex vexus models.
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasfishin2 View Post
    I wonder if it is because the entire hull is not .125 aluminum. My understanding is just the transom is thicker while xpress and other higher HP aluminum boats are thicker gauge thru out. I am by no means a engineer, just a thought.
    no. xpress had .100 x19s rated for 200s years ago. I had one. never any trouble handling the hp.
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

15. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasfishin2 View Post
    has absolutely nothing to do with the hull thickness. I am sure you have read or seen the Knee Brace system we have attached to the .125 thick aluminum transom.. The hull is built just as strong.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKER2702 View Post
    sad they bypass the coast guard ratings for max hp to keep there price point in line. if its rated for a certain hp put the sticker on there.
    years from purchase some one may want to repower and your stuck with a under powered hull because of a price point 10 years ago.
    like the government telling you what's best for you. did the engineers test one with a two hundred to see how it performed ? does anybody
    besides ranger and now vexus rate there boats less than approved just to get you to buy a higher priced boat of same size with more options ?
    I agree 100%. Rate them for the max hp the coast guard allows. Let the buyer decide if they want a 115, 150 or 200 on it. I am completely out on Vexus until they offer something with 200hp plus on it.
    2016 Xpress X19 with Yamaha 200 SHO

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKER2702 View Post
    VERY good points here. Makes me think of the 96-99 Triton Tr-20 Hulls. An excellent boat that is very underrated at a 200 HP maximum. This boat rides good and has excellent speed and handling with a 225 and a 250 (as I've driven them over powered) but buyers are limited to only have a 200. It is actually for this very reason I sold mine.

Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    I guess I'm one of the few who wants a nice quality boat that can still perform well with a smaller engine.
    Couldn't agree more! Well said.

19. Member
    Everyone wants the biggest badest engines on the smallest boat possible. Then they will be whining about cracked welds and such. Vexus is too smart to go down that path.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Everyone wants the biggest badest engines on the smallest boat possible. Then they will be whining about cracked welds and such. Vexus is too smart to go down that path.
    Your saying there design is inferior or the welders? Just because it says 200 you can put a 90 on it if it makes you happy. Don't remember ever seeing a minimum up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast