Thread: HP Rating

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKER2702 View Post
    Your saying there design is inferior or the welders? Just because it says 200 you can put a 90 on it if it makes you happy. Don't remember ever seeing a minimum up
    It's just like glass boats. The more HP you put on the back, the more likely you are to have a gel coat crack. The more HP you put on an aluminum boat, the more likely you are to crack a weld. Not to mention if they offered it with a 200, and then come with a glass boat rated for a 200, the price is going to be so close most will buy the glass boat. If they were not going to build glass boats a 200 + HP rated aluminum would make way more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    It's just like glass boats. The more HP you put on the back, the more likely you are to have a gel coat crack. The more HP you put on an aluminum boat, the more likely you are to crack a weld. Not to mention if they offered it with a 200, and then come with a glass boat rated for a 200, the price is going to be so close most will buy the glass boat. If they were not going to build glass boats a 200 + HP rated aluminum would make way more sense.
    dad running my old xpress with 200 and 12" plate so far so good no cracks and its 17 years old. with all the advertising and marketing I am sure vexus has a superior boat to a xpress. some may prefer aluminum to fiberglass why penalize them with a horsepower restriction. just because it might say 200 im sure they would rig it with a 50 if some one wanted. the boats look great
    many nice features and a decent price xpress should copy some of the quality for sure. just let the consumer decide if they want maximum power.
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

Lund advertises minimum hp
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. donnybassfishing..com
    Maybe there new and want to make sure they hold together well before they start throwing bigger motors on them. You really never know until they have been run a few years hard. Safety issue I guess. Not sure I would want to be the one testing it out

Structural design was probably figured out by 2001, now it's just doing it lightly and visually appealing. If they had a glass boat and a hook up deal I'd test to heck out of one if the layout fists me

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin fever View Post
    Maybe there new and want to make sure they hold together well before they start throwing bigger motors on them. You really never know until they have been run a few years hard. Safety issue I guess. Not sure I would want to be the one testing it out
    Well, crap. I guess they won't be sending me one for testing then... I would probably not run it 'hard' for a few years. Or months. Or weeks. Crap. I would enjoy testing it though. Does that count?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    I guess I'm one of the few who wants a nice quality boat that can still perform well with a smaller engine.
    I'm with you.

Quote Originally Posted by winghunting View Post
    I agree 100%. Rate them for the max hp the coast guard allows. Let the buyer decide if they want a 115, 150 or 200 on it. I am completely out on Vexus until they offer something with 200hp plus on it.
    But then you wont be able to sell it because it has less than the max HP. At least that's what the HP police always claim.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deepanchor View Post
    They already have a tournament edition with a 150HP setup.
    Clearly they don't if buddy is talking about a 200 hp model coming out... if I'm in the market for one these boats I'm Waiting for the tin with a 200 option. Just saying - 150 or 200...?

Originally Posted by sclark
    We rated these boats for 150 horsepower, because this is where they handled and preformed good, and keeping in mind we are aiming at a certain market / price point.

Don't be surprised if you see a slightly different model with a higher horsepower engine coming out in the Vexus factory in the not to distant future,,,

So I understand the price point but why don't you put the sticker on it for what it would actually be rated at and let the consumer decide if they want to pay the extra $$ for the larger engine at the time they buy it. But package them with the price point that you are trying to hit. This is exactly why I will not buy a Ranger 185VS because its only rated to 150 when the boat performs so much better with a 175, (like the original 185VS from the early 2000's) Don't like the fact that the manufacturers are limiting the consumer. Don't think that's a very good idea.

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

10. Member
    Handled and performed good with a 150 sounds like what a lot of or most of the market wants. If you want a 200 wait for that model. Not sure why people think the majority market wants a speed boat for their fishing needs. I'm no expert but i bet the 150 covers a bigger market segment.

it's the principle of limiting the consumer. Bass Pro always packages the boats with lesser than the Max HP for a price point, but gives the option to the consumer to upgrade if they want. Although not a fan of Tracker or Nitro, makes sense. Let the consumer determine what they want if given the option. A majority may only sell with 150's but there will be a % that would sell with more or later be upgraded.

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

12. Banned
    When will the 300 HP rated hull come out?

Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    We rated these boats for 150 horsepower, because this is where they handled and preformed good, and keeping in mind we are aiming at a certain market / price point.
    Don't be surprised if you see a slightly different model with a higher horsepower engine coming out in the Vexus factory in the not to distant future,,,
    Spot on SClark. Vexus boat strategy with 150 rating in your current lineup. Performance, Quality and price point will appeal to a wider group than those who want a 200hp go fast tin boat. A higher HP path will jack up the prices and lessen Vexus value in a crazy overpriced and oversaturated market. When Vexus brings out your glass boats that will mute the current requests. To what I've seen there isn't a tin boat with Vexus fit and finish at your price point. Vexus will create a new space in a overpriced market for consumers.

14. Member
    Put a 36 volt troller on it 4 batteries in the back, talons or power poles on it two Fat guys and all there fishing gear full live wells full fuel With a 150 on it will be a very under powered 19 ft boat . I know not every body wants all that but that’s where Bass fishing boats are at today . But it is a very nice aluminum boat and looks like a very well built boat .

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKER2702 View Post
    sad they bypass the coast guard ratings for max hp to keep there price point in line. if its rated for a certain hp put the sticker on there.
    years from purchase some one may want to repower and your stuck with a under powered hull because of a price point 10 years ago.
    like the government telling you what's best for you. did the engineers test one with a two hundred to see how it performed ? does anybody
    besides ranger and now vexus rate there boats less than approved just to get you to buy a higher priced boat of same size with more options ?
    sounds like ranger type thinking came into the nex vexus models.
    The Z-7s were once rated for a 200 then dropped to a 150 then bumped up to a 175 for the Z 18 (same boat length). All manufacturers do it to some extend I am willing to bet. Phoenix with their 819 and the 919, Ranger does this. I'm not saying its right or wrong.

16. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    When will the 300 HP rated hull come out?

it has a slight chine walking issue right now :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good to see a sense of humor

18. Member
    I had a duracraft years ago it was .72 then I got a lowe that was .100 Big difference Between the two .Amost like .100 or .125 big difference

19. Member
    Man they are nice looking, until the 200 hp or they make 21 ft with a 250 il pass. Makes no sense to limit a 19ft to a 150.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntercoop View Post
    Man they are nice looking, until the 200 hp or they make 21 ft with a 250 il pass. Makes no sense to limit a 19ft to a 150.
    don't be that way vexus what you need better than you do seems to be the reasoning on here.

all the walk through and the videos any where has there been a picture of the actual pad on the boat?
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast