Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How good are these engines?

Unfortunately I have a bad cylinder on my Mercury. This is the second time on an engine with 426 total hours. How good are these Honda motors? Specifically, the 250 HP. Thanks!
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

2. Member
    The very reason the Coast Guard runs Honda...your boat does not work well with a bad cylinder. The 250 is basically a V6 Honda Accord engine. Can not get more reliable than that!

Quote Originally Posted by HondaRay View Post
    The very reason the Coast Guard runs Honda...your boat does not work well with a bad cylinder. The 250 is basically a V6 Honda Accord engine. Can not get more reliable than that!
    About how much do they cost?
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I have owned 9 boats with Honda since 2004.

I have kept up with most of the owners over the years, and haven’t heard of any major issue on any of the engines.

Other than a O2 sensor, and fouled plug that’s been it.

Thats all that will EVER be behind my boat if I’m paying!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    I have owned 9 boats with Honda since 2004.

I have kept up with most of the owners over the years, and haven’t heard of any major issue on any of the engines.

Other than a O2 sensor, and fouled plug that’s been it.

Thats all that will EVER be behind my boat if I’m paying!!
    I am looking at them real hard... I appreciate the advice.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

reliable but slow

Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    reliable but slow
    Well... now you have me second-guessing. I don't care as much about top end. I am more concerned with the hole shot and the reliability. I have two 10' blades and I would not be happy if the boat took forever to get on plane.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

8. Member
    "Reliable but slow."

As I said in a post when someone said the same thing about Suzuki motors and speed; "a boat is real slow when it's in the shop. I'll go reliable EVERY time."

They all can have issues at some point...The Honda/Suzuki could just as easily end up "in the shop"...Buy whatever makes you happy...The Honda/Suzuki will not perform on the same level as a Mercury/Yamaha/Evinrude...That is all I was saying...No need to get defensive about it and justify why you chose a Suzuki.

10. Member
    Friend and his Dad both just both 2 used 250 Honda's at Coast Guard auction. Each motor had over 5K hours on them. They have been running them both now for about 2 weeks with no problems or issues and they are in great shape. I love my Honda and doubt I will ever have to buy another motor again. I blew up 4 Mercury's before buying this Honda. Took Ray a while to figure out my hole shot but I have a good hole shot and VERY decent top end and NOBODY will beat my fuel economy. BTW, it's on a 21' bass boat. Good luck!

11. Member
    Bassmasterffej, I just reread my post and it does come across rather strong. I sure didn't mean for it to come across that way. That's one of the problems with writing this stuff is we lose "tone of voice", where as you would have heard it differently (I hope) if you and I were talking about this while fishing on the Alabama River, where I'm sure you'd probably have 10 fish to my 1.

12. Member
    I'm running a 25 pitch BravoFS and have a great hole shot. Even loaded,full gas, livewells full, and two people. Mid range acceleration is also great! I did lose a little top end when I went to the 4 blade 25 pitch prop, but she'll still run 64. And by great hole shot I mean I don't even have to trim down hardly below level motor to go. I should mention this is a 2013 BF250 Honda on a 2013 Legend Alpha 211 with a 12 inch Atlas Hydraulic Lack Plate.

I post all of this because I get tired of reading about how slow Honda's are. Damn.....64 is slow!! Yeah, I know. A Merc or Yamaha will run 70 WITH MY LOAD, but that's about it. Now, who the hell spends hardly any time running wide open anyway??? And this is my second Honda/Bass boat combo since 2005 and they have never stranded me on the water. I bought my first Honda four stroke in 2005 because I was disgusted with the problems I had experienced from owning numerous two strokes on several bass boats over the years. I was ready to buy a RELIABLE outboard and if I had to run a little slower that was fine. I have no regrets. OK, rant over.

13. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Rant on Clyde!!!

14. Banned
    Nobody questions their reliability or efficiency. But there are relatively few Honda Marine dealers in many places in North America to obtain parts and service.

And like Honda automobiles, their boat engines were not engineered to be rebuilt--throwaways.

15. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Hard to make any money on servicing a Honda!!

They are quality motors...No question...Honda is a great company as well. It would be nice to see them develop a more performance focused motor for bass boat applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Hobbie Hut View Post
    I'm running a 25 pitch BravoFS and have a great hole shot. Even loaded,full gas, livewells full, and two people. Mid range acceleration is also great! I did lose a little top end when I went to the 4 blade 25 pitch prop, but she'll still run 64. And by great hole shot I mean I don't even have to trim down hardly below level motor to go. I should mention this is a 2013 BF250 Honda on a 2013 Legend Alpha 211 with a 12 inch Atlas Hydraulic Lack Plate.

I post all of this because I get tired of reading about how slow Honda's are. Damn.....64 is slow!! Yeah, I know. A Merc or Yamaha will run 70 WITH MY LOAD, but that's about it. Now, who the hell spends hardly any time running wide open anyway??? And this is my second Honda/Bass boat combo since 2005 and they have never stranded me on the water. I bought my first Honda four stroke in 2005 because I was disgusted with the problems I had experienced from owning numerous two strokes on several bass boats over the years. I was ready to buy a RELIABLE outboard and if I had to run a little slower that was fine. I have no regrets. OK, rant over.
    What boat/motor combo are you running?
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X