Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocoupe View Post
    I threw a battery at a turtle today. Then took it to walmart and exchanged it for a new one
    I have saved three turtles this week including one this afternoon that was the biggest terrapin I've ever seen, nearly as big as a dinner plate. Turtles are on the move in SE Ontario so be careful out there. On the other hand, a few hours earlier I killed a black squirrel that committed suicide by running directly in front of my car while i was moving at 80 kmh (50ish for the non-metric). I didn't even have time to flinch. For some reason I'm not too worked up about the squirrel. Is that because they are so annoying?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

2. Member
    Oh, man
    For a second I thought OT was back and the place was going to crap quickly.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

Given that both batteries are the same style and capacity, you can mix brands (most of them are just names anyway - there really aren't that many battery manufacturers, at least not when compared to brands. EnerSys makes like 24 brands or something like that) - what you should not do is mix an used battery with a new one.
    So yes, replace both batteries.

As for the wiring -
    I am not sure I am fully understanding the question you asked. I find it VERY HARD to believe they would splice wire in the run like Transom suggests. That would be just plain foolish. If it is 8 gauge at the outlet - it should be 8 gauge leaving the batteries to the bow. I suppose it is possible, but I would be disappointed to find out that was the case...and Tracker sure did not leave you any room for upgrade. Ideally speaking - that boat came with a 45lbs TM and if there is 8 gauge in the wiring - that is all you should put on it (at 12v - larger with 24v - as you are doing). If it is spliced that splice had better be accessible and not buried in the boat somewhere where you cannot get to it. If it is buried in the boat, I am glad I did not order a Tracker.

You have to size the motor to the smallest gauge wire. (as I said, that is the way it is supposed to be done, that does not mean that is what folks actually do)
    so for #8 the largest 24v motor should be 90lbs (mathematically speaking) - I personally would not go right to the edge like that.

4. Member
    "Also, I noticed that the trolling motor wiring at the batteries is 6 gauge, but it is 8 gauge at the bow. Anyone have any clue where the change over occurs? Why would they do this...just to save on 6 gauge wire? I don't get it."

Not to revive an old thread but I was wondering what the OP ended up doing with the above concern. I am running into the same thing and looking for any input. I believe the wires to the plug are 8GA so I suppose it won't hurt?

I'll be using the existing MEP plug that I used with my Fortrex, never had an issue.

Any input is appreciated.
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

5. Member
    I replaced my 3 batteries with a 31 AGM Duracell for start/ FR Helix and 2 27 ACM Duracells for my Ultrex. I would have gone to 31s, but my tray won't fit them. They've been fantastic.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12