Thread: Ultrex?

Ultrex?

I've got a 2017 xrd with a 80# 45 inch shaft fortrex. Thinking of getting a ultrex. I would like to stay with the 45 inch shaft but wondering if the 52 would be better. It is mounted Tn still.

2. Member
    I have the 45 ultrex on mine. Mine is mounted traditional and not Tn. If mine was any longer it would hang way off of the side of the boat. Tn. style you would just eat up more of the deck when stowed.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SUSHII View Post
    I have the 45 ultrex on mine. Mine is mounted traditional and not Tn. If mine was any longer it would hang way off of the side of the boat. Tn. style you would just eat up more of the deck when stowed.
    Care to throw up some pics? Curious myself
    Bullet 20 XRD / 225 Merc Sport XS

4. Member
    I don't know how to get them on here. I'll pm you my number and I'll text them to you
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

5. Member
    If your off the front deck doing things is the 45 in long enough to stay in the water?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogger55 View Post
    If your off the front deck doing things is the 45 in long enough to stay in the water?
    Not if you fish offshore in big water. I had a 45" trolling motor before. I put a 52" on when I installed the ultrex. The head hangs out a couple of inches past the edge of the boat on the angled part of the nose. I have not had an issue banging it off of anything.

Only pic I have. You can get a little bit of an idea of how much it sticks out.

7. Member
    Mine is mounted TN. I've got the 45. If i fished allot of big water id get the 52, but i don't do much in more than 15' of water!! I dont know how to post pics, if somebody will PM me ill send some.

8. Member
    I live on Cumberland but I fish on Ky lake a lot. Not had any problems with the 45 Fortrex but I'm standing on the nose when running it. Just not sure about hitting the spotlock and going to the back but I also don't like the extra length setting on the deck.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    IMO if you fish big water (KY Lake Ledges) with a Bullet, you need a 52" shaft. Tennessee style helps some as the troller is further back than if it was mounted traditional across the bow but if you plan to fish hard in big open water, you need 52".
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

I had a 45" shaft on mine and went to a 52" on the ultrex no regrets. I like the 52" I can move it up in shallow water but If I had the 45" I could not move it down anymore. I want to be more versatile with my rig. My two cents.

11. Member
    My 45 ultrex is mounted conventional and blocks a lot of view and hangs a bit over side of boat . If it was a 52 and mounted tn style it would cover a lot of deck when stored .

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet11 View Post
    My 45 ultrex is mounted conventional and blocks a lot of view and hangs a bit over side of boat . If it was a 52 and mounted tn style it would cover a lot of deck when stored .
    This is what I'm afraid of. Blocking my view. One great thing about my MG tour is it hugs the boat when stowed
    Last edited by TivisMinton; 03-28-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    Bullet 20 XRD / 225 Merc Sport XS

13. Member
    The 45" is actually longer than that by a few inches. Fits perfectly on mine.

14. Member
    I fish offshore most of the time, usually in rough water. I pulled off a 42" Maxxum that I traded for several years ago and went with the 52" ultrex. I haven't regretted the 52 once. If you fish in the wind you will like it. I don't notice the motor being in the way when stowed at all.

15. Member
    Thanks tor all the responses. Should have a 52 in installed this week.

16. Member
    I just had a 52 inch installed Tennessee style on my XRS. It replaced a 45 inch Fortrex. The other day in high wind without putting it down further in the water the prop broke out from time to time.
    Bullet 21XRS w/ 250 ProXS & a little bling

I order to receive forgiveness, we must first forgive!

17. Member
    I fished Erie with 2-3' waves all day...have 45" shaft. Spot lock had no trouble keeping me on point.

18. Member
    I went with a 52 and there isn't near the noticeable difference that I expected over a Motor Guide 82 Tour . Mounted it TN style as far over as I could get it. I would HIGHLY recommend the TH Marine Locking Stablizer. The one minn Kota sends is a POS.