Wanting to buy a 2018 Ranger 621FS.

Hello to all,

This post is going to be long. So I will apologize up front. I need info and where better to find it than from those that live it and breath it. I will preface my post; First and foremost I live in California, Yes there are still Conservatives that reside in the nuthouse here.(Now that the jokes and laughter has died down.) I maybe relocating to Texas soon, not 100 percent on that yet depends on how my trip in April goes to look at properties and visit my daughter in Texas, now that I am retired from Both the Military and my Civilian job.

I currently own a 2010 Skeeter WX 1900. ( One day I may tell you the story of how I came about owning a walleye boat in California) I will not be replacing it with another Skeeter so please no recommendations in that regards. Not happy with Skeeter customer service or lack thereof and failed warranty being honored and that both Skeeter Dealers in California opted out of selling for Skeeter in California. One of those dealers that I know personally,but I won't go into that. Lucky for me that the Dealer I purchased my boat from is buying it back and I will recover over half of my monies to be used on a new 2018 Ranger 621FS.

To the meat and potatoes of why I am here and what help I need from you fine men and women. I fish mainly in the Delta from Stockton California to the Ocean so I sometimes see brackish water. I also fish in the upper higher elevation lakes 6000-8000 FT above sea level
    Delta fishing involves fishing for Striped Bass, Salmon, Trout, Largemouth Bass; Florida Strain, Crappie, (Bluegill, Sun Perch when my kids were along.) Sturgeon. THE other places such as Low land lakes to upper high elevation lake and reservoirs . Bass, both small and largemouth, Crappie, Bluegill, Rainbow Trout, German Browns ,Kokanee Salmon, Donaldson Trout. Now that you know what I target you know that I use my Skeeter as a multi-species boat as intended. (Acept for walleye as there are none for miles like 1000 miles or so)
    Current Skeeter is setup with Dual Cannon TS10 Downriggers with their own transducer on hard mounts , Rod holders rail mounted fore and aft port and starboard sides. Two Humminbird SI units 1 at the Bow and 1 at the Console. 9.9 Mercury Kicker on Panther remote steering setup (DO NOT WANT TO REPEAT THAT MISTAKE AGAIN) Minn Kota TM Terrova 80 US with IPilot

If I do relocate to Texas is the Ranger 621FS a viable fishing boat to use in Texas waterways? Of one place the military never sent me it was Texas so it is like a mystery to me. My Daughter loves it there and wants me to come and live there. I just think she want me there because I own a boat and there are lakes all around her and she loves to fish.

Now onto the questions about rigging and setting up a 2018 Ranger 621FS

1.) Which package? Cup package with 300 Mercury Verado, or Standard and add everything I want? which leads me to question #2 and #3

2.)Yamaha VF250XA or F250XCA Digital? Will there be under power issues with the either of the 250 Yamaha motors?

3.) Cup equipped Mercury 300XL Pro or 350XL? What is the big difference between 300/350?

4.) Kicker motor either Yamaha or Mercury depends on main motor Manufacture? Pros and cons will the 9.9 push the 621FS along? Which leads me to question #5

5.) How to correctly tie in the Kicker to the main motor and if going with Mercury do I need the ISOLATOR? I have seen tie bar and also a cable coming from the main motor steering setups ( I ask this question as the Ranger Dealer I am purchasing at does not normally do kicker installs)

6.) Do I need to have a Jack Plate on the 621FS? If so Hydraulic or manual? Bobs or TH Marine that are offered by Ranger as factory installs?

7.) Will a Jack plate interfere with the Kicker motor?

8.) Berts tracks in the Rear instead of rails? if tracks 60 in or 48in and do they mount flush? Planning to mount my Cannons onto these will they hold the weight and torque?

9.) Berts 12 in tracks in the front?

10.) If Cup equipped the boat comes with Lowrance carbon 9 at bow and 12 at console. Leave those and install a third as a Humminbird Solix at Console to control the Ulterra TM for contour tracking and mapping? Plus have 360 imaging.
    Will these be required See both A/B

A) Lowrance® 3D structure scan transducer will one be needed?

B)Extra Lowrance® HDS transducer at console will it be needed?

C) or remove all Lowrance and go all Humminbird

11.) Where to mount HB 360 unit? can it mount to the jack plate or TM?

12.) Does the removable cast deck that adds to the rear stand up to use and does it stay put when boat is being towed on the roadways?

13.) Polymist over gelcoat is in needed or does it just add bling?

14.) Painted Trailer Frame (Over Road Armor)? Does it last or peel off?

Again thank you . I am Spending my disability settlement from the Veteran Admin due to service connected issues from 22 years of service during two gulf wars on this boat. IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT I GET IT RIGHT as this is most likely my last boat ever and once this money is gone it is gone forever. So thank you for your input be it positive or negative. I DO WANT TO BUY THIS BOAT AND THE WIFE HAS GIVEN ME THE GO AHEAD AS SHE FEELS THAT I DESERVE IT FOR ALL MY PAIN AND SUFFERING THAT I GO THROUGH DAILY. AND PLEASE REFRAIN FROM THANKING ME FOR MY SERVICE I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN KNOWING THE OUTCOME THAT I CURRENTLY SUFFER WITH.

in your current location i would not hesitate to use a verodo, less mpgs than the yammaha but all the power at 7,000'

i look at the 350 as a benefit over the 300, 3-4mph better holeshot, it has the offshore 5.44 gearcase (uber strong) and will help you lift on the 621.

i couldnt image a jack plate is required, but i also couldnt imagine adding a bobs after delivery and im not a fan of atlas. so chouice is in the air to what i would do.

i will get a 15hp kicker myself 9.9 is full throttle to get my trolling speeds for muskies and a 15 would be less with the larger prop. not sure how fast you want to troll but a kicker is a huge plus on lake of the woods MN/ Canada as it may be your only way home if you blow up/ destroy the main motor

tie bars can be quick release, so shouldnt matter with jackplate or not, there are so really cool steering for kickers now days, not sure what they are called so im not sure if thats what you referenced.

im not familliar with berts tracks, however i do know track systems are the ticket, i wouldnt want track on the bow.

i bought a boat with package hds9's and my experience with that is ill pay a little more to build a base boat and have the exact sonars i want...

transom mounted 360 is the way i would go as minnkota doesnt make the required parts for bow unit on ulterra, stop by the minnkota or humminbird forum if you need to know who does, corn crappies? loll idk.

i would consider a 12 or 15' talon as well i think they have a plate that lets you mount the 360 an the anchor right next to each other

if ranger is your dream boat thats great, but if you could do some traveling (or looking on the internet at) warriorboatsinc.com my dream is a v208 with 350, any ways there facebook page along with lunds and yarcrafts will have may of your downrigger, track options fresh in there minds

Oh by the way check out walleyecentral.com they will be spot on with most of your questions as they are very fluent in deep v
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Oh by the way check out walleyecentral.com they will be spot on with most of your questions as they are very fluent in deep v
    They already were.

5. Member
    Just picked up a 621fs with a 350 verado. Like it a lot. Like the little spots to hold pliers etc etc but I came a mx2025 Skeeter. With a 300 off shore. I really like how the deep v allows me more confidence on the rougher water. But dam the Skeeter was roomy. The ranger is big but there was just better layed out storage in the Skeeter. Side rod lockers for lead core rods. I could put a ton of rods in the locker due to no tubes. Huge live well for pike and musky revival. The finish of the ranger in the storage compartments is nicer but the storage just seemed bigger in the Skeeter. I did a cup package and then just sold off the electronics for what I wanted. Order the electronics and your dash and bow not cut out for install at the dealer.

6. Member
    Sorry for the delay in responding back. I want to thank you all that replied to this tread. Thank you