Thread: Moving to Texas

Moving to Texas

Hello there my fellow Veterans,

I am possibly relocating to Texas from California as that I am fully retired from both the Navy and my civilian line of work. What can a man expect to fish for in Texas? BTW looking to relocate to either Fort Worth and or Fort Hood area as my wife has a sister in Temple and my Daughter is in Saginaw near Dallas.

2. Member
    Consider San Antonio or the surrounding area. Great medical facilities at Ft Sam and Lackland AFB for retirees. There are no state taxes here in Texas, we have real BBQ, we eat BEEF not pork, great fishing(fresh and saltwater) and hunting. If any questions popeye, pm me.

usmc03

3. Member
    Need to be within 40 miles of a base with a hospital if you wish to have Tri-care Prime. Great bass fishing and crappie all over Texas. Go down to the coast and fish for redfish when the urge strikes. My brother has a house under construction on Lake Palestine and I am looking forward to it being finished. Congratulations on your retirement and your move from La La land. You will enjoy the no income tax for a change.

4. Member
    Man, east Texas is chock FULL of fabulous lakes... anywhere from Houston over to the Louisiana, north and south is packed.

Choosing WHERE to live depends on you completely, but if you want to be near a big city, but not in it, you would look around the Montgomery/Huntsville/Conroe area which is a very nice area, but gives you fairly easy access to a lot of lakes.

The Tyler area is also a nice area near Dallas smothered in Lakes.

The area just north of Jasper, right on Sam Rayburn is nice, but no large nearby cities.

Granbury near Fort Worth might be an area to look into. That's also a nice area.

5. Member
    Temple has a great VA hospital and close to numerous lakes in Central, TX. Great area to look, imo.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

6. Member
    Temple....Belton lake, Stillhouse Lake, Great tackle store in Killeen (Tightlines, ask for Dean or Rodney) Academy Sports is in Temple and Killeen for fishing gear as well. Caught an 11.2# Large mouth out of Belton December 2013. Temple has a great VAMC, if they cannot handle your issues, they Send you to Scott and White Hospital in Temple. Scott and White is one of the best 100 in the USA. When the major shot up Fort Hood, the severely wounded were sent to Scott and White...
    You can fish the tough man, Bass Champs Central, and numerous tournaments (Bass) out of Temple...Homes are reasonable and Veterans have no real property taxes. license plates are like $3 or 5 dollars.
    If you are a liberal, you will not find too many friends in Temple.
    You will have to go to Georgetown or Waco for Archery supplies...The Outhouse archery in Waco or Double G archery in Georgetown..

I'm leaving for Temple later this summer...