Options near Ocala

Hey guys,

Headed to Ocala next weekend and was looking for options nearby. Still undecided on bringing the boat?

Any good lakes nearby that are fishing well? My son has never fished heavy grass so looking to showing him what grass lakes are all about.( spring break)

Let me know know if we have any cool options nearby.

Thanks
    Ranger 2015 Z118C

2. Member
    Harris Chain is hot and it's about 45 minutes away.

How is Harris chain as far as hazards? A few years back i visited Rousseau and we took a buddy's inshore boat when we couldn't get out on the gulf and holy crap that place is crazy. Not sure i would put my boat in that place. I'm used to fishing places that you don't really have to worry about trees and stumps. Just looking for a heads up. I will certainty be taking my time idling or getting a feel for the lake before i just take off.

I saw in the Herando thread that Lake Deaton was mentioned. What would be some good baits to bring for either Harris or Deaton?
    Ranger 2015 Z118C

No hazards at all in Harris Chain

Soft plastics are king around here. I fish a texas rigged worm most of the time and catch fish on the grass lines. When that bite goes away, I pull out the heavier sticks and do some flipping...either in the grass, pads or heavier stuff.

The hydrilla bite has been on if open water is your thing...that is mainly around Lake Harris...Venetian Gardens area...Johnson's Point....

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

5. Member
    LOL. He said heavy grass in Florida! FWC and Army Corps of Engineers sends three spray boats out every time they see a sprig of grass.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MARK R View Post
    LOL. He said heavy grass in Florida! FWC and Army Corps of Engineers sends three spray boats out every time they see a sprig of grass.

I drove by an airboat about 3 weeks ago and they were covering about 9" of cement near the shore... They must get paid by how much poison they disperse???

7. Member
    As stated above, no hazards on the Harris Chain. Hernando is hit and miss for me and there are a ton of small bass there. Went to the Harris Chain Saturday and fished for a few hours after breaking in my new motor and had 9 bass all 1.5 to 2 pounds. Went again yesterday and boated 6, but the biggest was 6.5 pounds and would of had a 17 pound limit with our biggest 5.

Anyone have a guide they would recommend if we decided to go that route? I know it's a shot in the dark booking this late.

Just cant decide, if 2 days is worth bringing the boat and trying to figure it out if we only have 2 days to fish.
    Ranger 2015 Z118C

For a guide check out Mick Maynard

http://www.largemouthcentral.com/

He is one of the best around on the Harris Chain

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Easter Weekend?? Lot of Lakes near Ocala--Google Maps!!

Yeah... Easter weekend. Going to be there from 30th -3rd, which only really gives me the 31st and 2nd to fish.
    Ranger 2015 Z118C

Thanks for your help guys... my son and I had a very enjoyable trip. You guys have some awesome fisheries that are so different from what we fish. Caught some nice fish on griffin and lots of numbers on weir.

Best fish was 5.11 that came offshore around eel grass.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tarpfisher; 04-04-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    Ranger 2015 Z118C