Heading to Santee this week

I will leaving VA on Thursday for a long weekend trip to Santee. I went last year about the same time and loved the lake. I mainly fished the swamp and absolutely loved the scenery. Is there any info anyone is willing to let go of. Not tourney fishing it is actually a trip I like to do in memory of my dads passing. His birthday is 4/2. Just curious as to water temps, and are the fish prespawn, or currently spawning. I don't know very much of the lake at all just a trip to lay a back a fish a little. Thanks guys.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Member
    The bite should get better next weekend. The lake has turned off quite a bit over the past few weeks. Water temps should be around 60 in the swamp next weekend. The fish are in all 3 stages.

3. Member
    Thank you sir. I sure am looking forward to some alone time in the swamp.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

4. Member
    Weather lady says temps here to be in the 70'/low 80's this week. Fishing should be a lot better now, this cold weather has made fishing kinda tough around here. You may see a lot of other bass boats, there is a Costa tx coming up pretty soon, and a lot of pre-fishing going on. Good luck if you head up to the "stumphole", but be careful too.

5. Member
    Thanks. I j
    Would love to fish without a winter suit on. It have been cold up here and average water temp is about 50
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

I just got back last night from a 10 day trip to Santee. Water temps were in the mid-upper 50's, but we had two cold fronts and the dang wind never quit blowing. Water temps had been in the mid-upper 60's in Feb. There are shallow fish in the black water ponds in the upper lake. We also caught fish in Angel's Cove, the Duck Pond, and the Hatchery. There are some fish on the trees, but not many. The warming trend should have some moving to the trees by next week. Our best baits were a green pumpkin Zoom Speed Worm, a spinnerbait, and a heavy cover swim jig.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Leaving tomorrow... Any last second advice????
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

8. Member
    Drive safe.....

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc03 View Post
    Drive safe.....
    Yea I hear there is some construction and the cops are heavy down there.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    Yea I hear the cops are heavy down there.
    Their scales go from 0-400 in about a second.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I just got back last night from a 10 day trip to Santee. Water temps were in the mid-upper 50's, but we had two cold fronts and the dang wind never quit blowing. Water temps had been in the mid-upper 60's in Feb. There are shallow fish in the black water ponds in the upper lake. We also caught fish in Angel's Cove, the Duck Pond, and the Hatchery. There are some fish on the trees, but not many. The warming trend should have some moving to the trees by next week. Our best baits were a green pumpkin Zoom Speed Worm, a spinnerbait, and a heavy cover swim jig.
    I always liked reading your Santee trip journal, whether it involved catching fish, not catching fish, or just eating bbq at Sweatmans.

You could make it a combination best of the Classic and best of Santee.

Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    I always liked reading your Santee trip journal, whether it involved catching fish, not catching fish, or just eating bbq at Sweatmans.

You could make it a combination best of the Classic and best of Santee.
    Thanks for the kind comment. I didn't do a journal this time. Frankly, the wind blew hard almost everyday. So, we had to decide where to fish based on the wind more than where the fish were located.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. mikesxpress
    Sweatmans Q is worthy of any reporting effort!
    Best rinds around

We did make it to Sweatman's twice. YUM! One of the guys had to run home one day and stopped by a place called Scotty's and got us some carryout BBQ for sandwiches. From what he said, it's not the kind of place that you'd want to eat-in, as the clientele can be pretty seedy. But, it was really good Q!

15. Member
    Jeff was that Scott's bbq in Hemingway, that is good q there. That seedy place was on a tv show showing the best bbq places in different states believe it or not.

16. Member
    Jeff was that Scott's bbq in Hemingway, that is good q there. That seedy place was on a tv show showing the best bbq places in different states believe it or not.
    Probably was and I bet when the woman at the counter heard that Ohio accent she wouldn't allow him to purchase the hot sauce. That just doesn't happen on the fist visit

I think there is a Scott’s bbq in Charleston also & run by their son.

Yes, the one in Hemingway.