Thread: Asian carp

Asian carp

Do all the Alabama lakes have these?

They were confirmed in Pickwick... Only a matter of time before they find their way thru the rest of the Tennessee river... I'm sure they'll find a way into the rest at some point...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

3. Member
    They sure have seemed to screw up Kentucky and Barkley lakes.

4. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    I can verify without doubt YES...........one breached the surface near me last week on Pickwick near Wilson Dam..........and there was a witness
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jclark408 View Post
    I can verify without doubt YES...........one breached the surface near me last week on Pickwick near Wilson Dam..........and there was a witness
    That’s wild as bad as I want to try the aerial bow fishing for them I don’t want them in our home lakes? Are you certain it wasn’t a silver redhorse? They breach like that and look remarkably similar to Asian carp especially when flying through the air!

6. Member
    Just read an article yesterday that the Big G has them too. Didn't know that. Awful!

I did see one breach behind a boat coming it if Coffee Slough a few weeks ago behind a boat as they were coming out and I was going in... Same thing in Limestone Creek on Wheeler during the ABT last weekend.. well practice anyway...

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    That’s wild as bad as I want to try the aerial bow fishing for them I don’t want them in our home lakes? Are you certain it wasn’t a silver redhorse? They breach like that and look remarkably similar to Asian carp especially when flying through the air!
    I honestly don't know the difference so I shouldn't have said it was one of those......I was assuming the carp was the only thing around that looked like that.....I may be mistaken
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

9. Member
    If I had to guess, I would say they are definitely in Pickwick and some of the other lakes since there are so many in Kentucky Lake. Buddy of mine got a concussion from one, 20-30 lb fish to the head, some of the oxbows in MS got um so bad it's not wise to ski anymore.

10. Member
    I honestly don't know the difference so I shouldn't have said it was one of those......I was assuming the carp was the only thing around that looked like that.....I may be mistaken
    from all the reports it sounds like your id may have been spot on I was probably just wishful thinking!

Silver redhorse is nothing other than a common sucker for some of us around here...

Jonathan Hillstrand