Any good recipes to smoke/grill a deer back strap?

Just seeing if anyone had a good one, thanks! Also a good temperature?

Last time I did it, I used a large piece. Not cut into portion size. I may have marinated it in something, red wine or something but I don’t recall. Got the grill hot as it would get and threw the back strap down. 5 minutes later I turned it over and 5 minutes after that I took it off and let if rest before slicing it. Best venison I’ve ever had. Now your results may vary because I do like meat on the rare side and this was. It was a little bloody and red in the center. Also, this was a young doe that was in general very tender. Also, I got her cooled down, skinned in the freezer very quickly. Shot her about 7:30 and had it all done by 2PM. I think that helped.

I would not try to smoke a back strap. It has no fat so you’ll likely end of with something dry and tough.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

thanks for the info berudd!

4. Member
    Sear each side on 400 for 5 min. Then turn down to 250 until meat probe reads 160-165. Take off, wrap in foil and let rest for 10 minutes. If you are in a hurry, after searing, grill at 300.

I season with steak rub, Lawreys, and Tony Chachere's before grilling.

6. Member
    I smoke backstrap all the time, I usually cut strap into 2 equal halfs, let marinate about 3 hrs in Italian salad dressing, once marinated, I put a cut into each half almost the length of strap, insert some cream cheese, jalapeno peppers cut in half, then wrap back strap with bacon, wrap with foil but leave top loose. get smoker temp to 200 degrees and let smoke about 40 min. then remove foil, put strap directly on grill and smoke another 30 min. meat should be pretty pink and juicy.

Cut it into 1” thick medallions. Apply a generous amount of Sea salt several hours prior to cooking. Just before throwing it on the grill, splash with worchestershire sauce and pepper. Wrap in bacon (I pin it with toothpicks) and grill to medium - medium well.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s