Just looking for some reassurance I didn't mess anything up

Along with oil, filter, gear fluids, etc in prep for spring I also took the water pump off to look at the impeller. Impeller was fine, but the seals around the pump were half shot so I went ahead and changed it all since I order a kit from Brown's. Got everything all back together and fired it up. Good pressure out the tell-tale but also have water out the drain holes at the top of the lower unit when running with the muffs. Normal? I honestly don't remember if it was like that before the change or not. I was worried about it enough I took the lower unit back off and the pump off again to make sure I didn't pinch/cut a seal. Everything looked great. Second time around it was doing the same so I took a quick video. Is it just excess from the top of the pump housing where it goes into the water pipe? No faults, no temp problems, just asking to make sure I'm worried about nothing.

2. Member
    The tell-tale hole tells you there is water going through the engine. The water coming out above the anti-cavitation plate is the actual water that is circulating through the engine and being expelled through the exhaust.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post
    The tell-tale hole tells you there is water going through the engine. The water coming out above the anti-cavitation plate is the actual water that is circulating through the engine and being expelled through the exhaust.
    Word! I was a bit confused since the exhaust side is on the aft section of the motor and looks like it's chambered off from where the water pump/transmission link is in the mid/front where the water is coming from.

Thanks.

4. Banned
    Did you put silicone between the LU and drive shaft housing.? Looks to be your problem.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Did you put silicone between the LU and drive shaft housing.? Looks to be your problem.
    It’s not coming from between the two units, it’s draining out drain holes on the bottom of the plate.

6. Member
    Any updates on this? I'm curious now

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Any updates on this? I'm curious now
    No, no update. I haven’t seen anyone here comment to say it’s bad so I dunno. I don’t think it’s due to a pump leak or anything after taking at apart twice. Water is definetly getting up the tube. I can only assume it’s comig from the top of the water pump where the outlet and the tube mate. There is no seal there so I can only assume that it’s not water tight.

8. Member
    Also did some searching around...not a lot when it comes to suzzy motors, but some other forums have a few threads of people asking about the same things. The comments seem to suggest "normal".

No seal at the top of the water pump other than the impeller itself and no seal where the pump outlet and the water tube mate so I can't see how it doesn't atleast leak "some" water. My biggest worry was that I don't remember seeing it before I changed out the impellar/pump seals. Not saying it wasn't there, I just don't remember it.

I'm gonna run it in a tub and make sure the pump is pulling water instead of using the muffs just to be safe. Probably what I should have done the fist time, but sometimes we learn as we go. If it pulls water fine and comes out the tell-tale, I'll feel pretty good about it going forward.
    Last edited by Golfrnut; 03-31-2018 at 02:49 PM.

9. Member
    Ok good to hear. I've had mine hooked up to muffs once and honestly couldn't tell you if it looked like your video or not. I was fixing my tell-tale (getting a blockage reamed out) and was only focused on looking up high to verify water was coming out that hole. Good idea on putting in tub or back down ramp to verify it pumps from natural state.

10. Member
    Ran in the tub over the weekend, pulled just fine. Also attached a hose to one of the flush ports out of curiosity, same results.

11. Member
    Well then put it behind you and hit the lake I'll definitely pay attention next time I hook up to a hose.