Banned

JACK PLATE LOWER BOLTS ARE LEAKING

Is it possible to just remove the two lower bolts, reseal with some 4200, Replace and get a proper seal or do i have to remove the whole motor and jack plate and reseal everything. The bolts are not real tight maybe if i wench them down some? What is the correct torque for the bolts Thanks

2. Member
    Sorry to say,if you want to do it right,pull the plate,clean everything good and reseal all the holes. Torque the transom bolts to 55#. Turn the nuts and be careful to not let the bolts turn.

Rips info above. Pull everything and reseal. What does “jack plate lower bolts leaking” mean.?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    It probably means that water is coming past through the two lower jackplate bolts.
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Rips info above. Pull everything and reseal. What does “jack plate lower bolts leaking” mean.?
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    What is the transom made of? Hopefully, it is not wet thru. If it is wet, you will need to dry it thoroughly before resealing anything.

6. Banned
    that is correct in reply to post #4
    Last edited by lfg; 03-25-2018 at 01:22 PM.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    What is the transom made of? Hopefully, it is not wet thru. If it is wet, you will need to dry it thoroughly before resealing anything.
    fiberglass, how do i know if its wet? nothing came out when i pulled the bolt this is a ranger 518vx

8. Member
    If it is a 2000 year model,or later,the transom will be made of pultruded fiberglass and has no wood. I would pull the bolts and apply some heat for a couple of days just to make sure the glass is dry. You can aim a heat lamp or a halogen bulb toward it to dry,just be sure the light is not close enough to burn the fiberglass. All you want to do is heat it up a little.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    If it is a 2000 year model,or later,the transom will be made of pultruded fiberglass and has no wood. I would pull the bolts and apply some heat for a couple of days just to make sure the glass is dry. You can aim a heat lamp or a halogen bulb toward it to dry,just be sure the light is not close enough to burn the fiberglass. All you want to do is heat it up a little.
    pultruded fiberglass meaning it wont take on water like wood or foam would? I'll try the the heat lamp idea thanks

It can become waterlogged depending on how long it's been exposed but it will not rot like wood.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lfg View Post
    pultruded fiberglass meaning it wont take on water like wood or foam would? I'll try the the heat lamp idea thanks
    Basically,yeah. It will soak up some water but not nearly as much as wood or foam and it won’t rot.when laying fiberglass,sometimes some of the glass fibers don’t get saturated with resin,they still look dry and white. Those dry fibers will hold water but the heat lamps should dry them if so.

12. Banned
    I had a small screw hole that wasn't sealed properly and there was some water intrusion. I called ranger and explained the situation, they told me that the area of the screw hole (just under the motor) is all pultruded fiberglass and no foam. I used a shop vac and sucked out any moisture (not much) and let it dry with a heater over night. I then filled hole with marine epoxy and gel coated over it. Shouldn't leak now.