Banned

IS A CHINE WALK ALSO CALLED A SLIPPING MOTION

I think they are two different things, chine walk being a back and forth of the transom and slipping only being a motion going one way then back to center. I ask this because i have a 518vx with a 200 opti that when i trim up and my speed hits 50 i get this slipping motion. I dont seem to be able to increase speed to power out of it, only decrease the trim where it well stop. If i knew the cause maybe i could correct it, i'm sure the boat should do more then 50 but i don't like that feeling and am not comfortable with it slipping. It should also be noted that if i don't trim up to hit that sweet spot the boat well go mid 50's. the prop is a 25p tempest. Thanks for any suggestions or if i should be on a different board let me know

2. Member
    I have the same rig,VX 518,200 Opti and Tempest. My boat will shift at a certain trim and speed as the hull begins to lift. It feels like a stern wiggle as it lifts up onto the pad. I just keep speeding up past it and that is the only time it occurs. But if I keep driving at that particular speed and trim,it will continue to wiggle.Just one of the quirks of the hull.Make sure your engine height is right and there is no slack in the steering. I have a 6” plate and my engine is set at 2.75” under the pad.

3. Banned
    Check the prop-to-pad measurement. It sounds like it might be a bit high and the prop is pushing the boat sideways.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Check the prop-to-pad measurement. It sounds like it might be a bit high and the prop is pushing the boat sideways.
    I measured prop to pad today and it came to 2 7/8". I was thinking about lowering it a 1/2" which would make it 3 3/8". I've been reading where 3" to 3 1/2" is considered good. What do you who know think of the plan?

5. Banned
    Try it.

6. Member
    Your steering system may need to be bled. Air in your hydraulic steering system will cause that slipping feeling.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lfg View Post
    I measured prop to pad today and it came to 2 7/8". I was thinking about lowering it a 1/2" which would make it 3 3/8". I've been reading where 3" to 3 1/2" is considered good. What do you who know think of the plan?
    Nothing wrong with this plan. I run mine a little high because I don’t run a heavy load.

8. Member
    I have a 99 VX and have the same issue, more so when I'm buy myself than when someone else is with me. It feels like the boat is trying to slide out from underneath itself if that makes any sense. But I was talking to someone and he told me to trim it up and it will stop and it did. He said to trim it all the way up but mine throws too much of a rooster tail when i trim it up that high so when i look back and see a rooster tail just over the cowling it runs just about perfect.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slaunch View Post
    I have a 99 VX and have the same issue, more so when I'm buy myself than when someone else is with me. It feels like the boat is trying to slide out from underneath itself if that makes any sense. But I was talking to someone and he told me to trim it up and it will stop and it did. He said to trim it all the way up but mine throws too much of a rooster tail when i trim it up that high so when i look back and see a rooster tail just over the cowling it runs just about perfect.
    So you are saying that trim it up past the point where it slips and instead of more slipping it may stop slipping ok i'll will try that before lowering prop to pad. Scary thought thanks