Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Basscat Quality????

I hope this is not trend but I’m if I continue to head in this direction I’m going to be very disappointed in my decision to get rid of my 2017 Legend for a new 2018 P2. Everyone always brags about basscat customer support but how about their quality? First of all I love how the boat rides and the Yamaha 200 sho is a perfect fit.

When I first went to pick it up none of the lights worked. That took 2 hrs for the dealer to trace back that the hot wire was not even connected. Not really sure how that got out of the factory but 1st guess is there was no testing or quality control at least for my boat. Now approximately 20 hrs on the boat/motor and the trim gauge is not functioning properly, the fitting on the fill pump is leaking, and 2 of the tension rods holding the center compartments keep popping off. All these little problems are about to drive me nuts and in all honesty if I spend 45k to 50k on something I expect it to work.

Should i veiw this as chit happens or plead for basscats help???

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bamayates; 03-26-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    2022 Basscat PII
    Mercury 200 Pro XS 4stroke

2. Member
    I would have had a discussion with the dealer and then, if needed, BassCat before I posted here.

I am not making excuses for bass cat but every new boat I have ever bought needs a couple of shake down cruises to get the bugs out for minor stuff like that. Dealer should be able to handle but if needed the guys at BCB will make it right. Some of the minor things I found on my new 2017 Jag I just took care of myself. So far with about 90 trips on my rig nothing major.

So the tension bar popping off is a pain in the A$$.

happpened on my PII also, but the fix is EASY.

unfortunatly it took me a while to figure out.

The ball all that is on the top is out of alignment. Take a pair of pliers and grab the flat metal, bend to adjust.

It it was a quick adjustment and once I made it I never had another problem with it popping off again.

Good luck. BassCats are great boats. Enjoy
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

5. Bobby8
    Sorry for your issues. I am sure your dealer and Basscat if needed will make it right.

6. Member
    New boats have bugs, even BCB's. A couple of your issues, lid pistons and trim gauge are vendor parts, leaking fitting may be a simple oops. The lights positive wire not being connected would have gotten a pretty strong "WTF" from me. However, I would never have come on a public forum and questioned the quality of any product unless I had been through the dealer and then the manufacture without satisfaction.

Any large, hand assembled product is liable to have a bug or 2, coming on an online forum with questions of quality BEFORE attempting to get satisfaction from the dealer and manufacture really isn't the best way to deal with it.

Definitely frustrating but at least all easy fixes. If you dont want to tackle them yourself the dealer should be able to quickly and happily do so.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Thanks guys for your comments. I’ll discuss these items with dealer. Bill2E thank you for the recommendation. I’ll try it 1st thing in the morning.....
    2022 Basscat PII

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sayner View Post
    New boats have bugs, even BCB's. A couple of your issues, lid pistons and trim gauge are vendor parts, leaking fitting may be a simple oops. The lights positive wire not being connected would have gotten a pretty strong "WTF" from me. However, I would never have come on a public forum and questioned the quality of any product unless I had been through the dealer and then the manufacture without satisfaction.

Any large, hand assembled product is liable to have a bug or 2, coming on an online forum with questions of quality BEFORE attempting to get satisfaction from the dealer and manufacture really isn't the best way to deal with it.
    he has every right to voice his problems with his purchase wherever he wants.
    2015 189 trx

10. Member
    I agree speak up. But I promise, or at least believe there is a post in your future, that talks about how well this is addressed.
    Or half of us will be over to help, and I’m just a customer.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

Can understand and sympathize with your frustrations. Recently sold my Cat and switched brands. Although your issues are frustrating, nothing compared to the issues I have with my new rig. Maybe I was Cat spoiled??

The dealership should be able to address the issues. The gas shocks and other items like leaking pump connection they can easily service. We do not feel the lights were never connected as the go through three checkouts on wiring.

As for the trim gauge not working, that’s a Yamaha part and system.

We are sorry for your issues and the Service staff inside will cooperate with your dealership to bring things into order.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    he has every right to voice his problems with his purchase wherever he wants.
    Of course he does, as do I have the right to voice my opinions.

14. Banned
    Too bad that BCB doesn't incorporate a checklist sign out package with the delivery of new boats.
    Having a ckeck list forces inspections and system testing that gives all involved a piece of mind.
    Just a thought

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-wayne View Post
    Too bad that BCB doesn't incorporate a checklist sign out package with the delivery of new boats.
    Having a ckeck list forces inspections and system testing that gives all involved a piece of mind.
    Just a thought
    Can’t do that it would hold individuals responsible for doing there job. And we know some individuals are there just to collect a paycheck....
    2015 189 trx

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The dealership should be able to address the issues. The gas shocks and other items like leaking pump connection they can easily service. We do not feel the lights were never connected as the go through three checkouts on wiring.

As for the trim gauge not working, that’s a Yamaha part and system.

We are sorry for your issues and the Service staff inside will cooperate with your dealership to bring things into order.

I tried fixing the gas shocks per bill2e suggestion but they still pop off. (The ball end is moving around like it’s loose but the nut is tight so Im not sure why the entire bracket is shifting.) Anyway, thank you for your comment. I’m sure my dealer will handle these issues and it’s probably a good idea to have a 20 hr check up anyway.

I’m especially satisfied with basscat marketing team when ordering and the response from customer support/service staff. I do however hope you see there is an opportunity for improvement when relate to outgoing quality. I’ve been a technical account manager for 30 years in the computer industry and things like this could have easily been addressed with an improved outgoing audit process. (Like what d-Wayne mentions)
    2022 Basscat PII

You will not be able, in most cases, to self adjust the shock install and we suggest the dealership handle that with input from service. They pop off after wearing begins on the sockets. On the shocks they have directly addressed this issues.

The check list list exists in house and they do process those relative to the products and reference them when issues occur. No no matter any industry references they are all quite different and protocol or issues exist in all. We understand the need for reducing issues and we work hard to do that. Model variation, Volumes, conditions, consistency and more all come into play.

The light issue we are concerned about and we would like dealer input as well as knowledge of this boats life cycle. We will expect the dealership to relay that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    You will not be able, in most cases, to self adjust the shock install and we suggest the dealership handle that with input from service. They pop off after wearing begins on the sockets. On the shocks they have directly addressed this issues.

The check list list exists in house and they do process those relative to the products and reference them when issues occur. No no matter any industry references they are all quite different and protocol or issues exist in all. We understand the need for reducing issues and we work hard to do that. Model variation, Volumes, conditions, consistency and more all come into play.

The light issue we are concerned about and we would like dealer input as well as knowledge of this boats life cycle. We will expect the dealership to relay that information.
    The dealer resolved the lights issue after i did an inspection of the boat the day I went to pick it up. (Before driving off the lot.)
    It took I a couple of hrs to fix and I believe I remember them telling me their process was to charge basscat for the fix? (Really great bunch by the way.) If you are interested in more specific details id be happy to send it to you but in a private message.
    Again really appreciate your comments and assistance.
    2022 Basscat PII

19. Member
    You can email them at service@basscat.com I assure you they take all emails seriously and review them in house to come up with solutions. I agree that every company would like to know if they have craftsmanship issues (and they all do from time to time) the difference is in how they are addressed. Your dealer will work with basscat as they would with any other warranty part. How it's paid out is between the dealer and the company if those are warranty items (such as your Yamaha gauge). We all want things to be perfect given the cost of these things but its no different in any other industry (autos, tractors, lawn care products...) they all have quality control but things do get overlooked from time to time when you involve people.

Not sure how basscat is doing things now but generally the first time a battery gets put in your boat is at the dealer during the pre- delivery inspection report and they should go over the boat to ensure all is working prior to delivery to the customer. Problem is most customers want the boat the day it gets delivered and a lot of the items to be checked just go unchecked because the customer want their toy (not saying you did this). So they install batteries, rig the motor, prime the motor (if needed) and send them on their way.

Sounds like your getting the items fixed and all will be well soon.

20. Bobby8
    Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    Can’t do that it would hold individuals responsible for doing there job. And we know some individuals are there just to collect a paycheck....
    Has the sounds of a Triton owner......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast