Thread: dock shooting

dock shooting

been seeing people using the dock shooting technique and wondering how many people here use it .

Used to skip baits under docks for bass and this idea makes sense .

Only question I had are do you prefer to hold the jighead in your hand or the hook , has seen both ways suggested.

the lake I fish has a lot of floating docks but they are low to the water and getting a lure under there seems to be the way to go.

The fish are not always out on the ends of the docks and seem to suspend under them post spawn when the bite cools down.

2. Member
    Here we have virtually no docks except for the marinas. During high water periods if the crappie go shallow, they will go into the overhanging areas of willow and other trees. Sometimes in trying to get back in there we have to shoot the jigs in. We hold the hook as it seems to us we are less likely to fail and get hooked ourselves. We are not particularly good at it as the conditions don't happen too many times here. Most times around the marina docks the fish using them are very small but on rare occasions the bigger slabs will show up.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Here we have virtually no docks except for the marinas. During high water periods if the crappie go shallow, they will go into the overhanging areas of willow and other trees. Sometimes in trying to get back in there we have to shoot the jigs in. We hold the hook as it seems to us we are less likely to fail and get hooked ourselves. We are not particularly good at it as the conditions don't happen too many times here. Most times around the marina docks the fish using them are very small but on rare occasions the bigger slabs will show up.

Thanks for your insights on the dock shooting. I like you catch most of my crappie off of some type of wood. there are some docks in a marina, close to one area that I am sure some will retreat to after spawning .

I have seen guys walking out on the docks and fishing minnows there early in the season but it gets tough once the boats are in the slips .

Where do you find your crappie after they spawn , they seem to be a lot harder to find in my lake .

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatstick View Post
    Thanks for your insights on the dock shooting. I like you catch most of my crappie off of some type of wood. there are some docks in a marina, close to one area that I am sure some will retreat to after spawning .

I have seen guys walking out on the docks and fishing minnows there early in the season but it gets tough once the boats are in the slips .

Where do you find your crappie after they spawn , they seem to be a lot harder to find in my lake .
    Here, after the spawn the fish will scatter out onto the flats to rest up and start feeding. Spider riggers and crankbait trollers can catch them, we usually take a short hiatus and fish for post spawn walleye. After a few weeks the crappie will migrate back to brush piles in varying depths. Soon as the water heats up really good they will migrate to the tress along channels sometimes utilizing shallow trees and deeper trees depending on where the baitfish are during these times. The tree bite is usually good till late fall for us.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Here, after the spawn the fish will scatter out onto the flats to rest up and start feeding. Spider riggers and crankbait trollers can catch them, we usually take a short hiatus and fish for post spawn walleye. After a few weeks the crappie will migrate back to brush piles in varying depths. Soon as the water heats up really good they will migrate to the tress along channels sometimes utilizing shallow trees and deeper trees depending on where the baitfish are during these times. The tree bite is usually good till late fall for us.

Thanks for the info . wish we had trees/ brush out other than near the banks or in shallow water .

6. Member
    Pea gravel cuts can make for some excellent crappie spawning areas as can chunk rock. If your lake has rip rap on it with little other cover the crappie will use the rip rap both shallow and deep. We have a good rip rap bite in the fall that lasts about 3 weeks. The fish head to them as the water starts cooling as the rocks absorb what heat is available. If your water has defined break lines the fish will utilize those. The fish are going to use whatever your lake has to offer. Sometimes on our lakes you can have two or more types of structure producing fish. Weeds if that's all you have can be productive as well. Best advice is to know your lake as best possible then attack it's strong points. Good luck, bet you will do fine.

7. Member
    I also fish lakes--small community waters--that have no docks other than a couple of courtesy ones. I will shoot them to no avail just practicing mostly I guess. But I echo the comments about shooting under limbs and into brush. Do this a lot. You can pinpoint your casts. I also use the presentation out in open water, especially with windy conditions and light jigs. Keeps the jig and the line down and less affected by the breeze. I always hold the jig by the head. As long as you keep the hook turned toward the rod (away from your hand) and fold your remaining fingers to your palm I don't see how you can get stuck. I haven't in many years of this. Not about to say one way is right, both work Whatever you're comfy with.

8. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Everytime i try and dock shoot I end up bleeding and cursing.

9. Member
    thanks for all of the advice so far everybody.

trying to keep an open mind and try moving away from the wood when the fish are done spawning , especially since the one good cove has a ton of docks in it .

When I am packing up to go home I see a few guides on the lake that are bass fishing.

When we talk about how we did they will mention catching some slabs off the docks with their 3 inch bass tubes, jigs etc ....

the idea of shooting under limbs will be helpful to get me into the tight spaces.

10. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Hold it by the head and hold upside down so the hook faces up and away from fingers. line should be parallel to water. bow and point rod to target and let'r fly. Great way to catch crappie under docks. I've caught some good bass doing this also.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Hold it by the head and hold upside down so the hook faces up and away from fingers. line should be parallel to water. bow and point rod to target and let'r fly. Great way to catch crappie under docks. I've caught some good bass doing this also.

That would make sense to keep the hook away from the fingers. thanks for the tip.

12. T Dub
    About 15 years ago when I was younger my dad and I would always try to roll cast crappie lures under docks until one of his friends started shooting way back underneath the docks. After he caught a few I started shooting and have never looked back.

13. Member
    thanks for the suggestions . can't wait to get my boat out of storage and get on the lake .