Raising Bucket seats

I have a 1989 Stratos 201 that I've redone the carpet in and while I'm at it, I'm considering raising up the bucket seats some. They seem very low compared to the current models. Has anyone else done this and if so, did it turn out the way you thought it would? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not familiar with how your particular seats are mounted - if they are one piece (base and back attached), may just be a matter of installing spacers where they are bolted through... or if hinged, a spacer under the hinge in the front, and spacers to support the rear of the bases. Starboard (or cutting board) material would make perfect spacer material since it's easy to work with, and waterproof.
    If the backs are separate, you may simply need to raise the mounting points of the backs along with the height of the bases.

Be sure to mock-up the height you need first (sit on a boat cushion or several towels) to make sure you don't have knee clearance issues! When I went from factory to aftermarket seats with thicker backs and cushions, I had to cut about 1" off the bottom of the console to get my legs to fit underneath.

3. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. They are one piece construction, so the spacer approach is what I'll be dealing with. I've heard of this starboard material before but I've never used it. I have left over carpet and was thinking about covering the material before installation. When you say spacers, are you referring to a spacer that might be like a 12'' x 14" base and put 2-3 of these together.....Or, just making them much smaller and just place them where the screws pass through to bolt to the bottom base to secure the seat.

I'd just go with smaller blocks - or discs cut with a hole saw - where the screws pass through. Save on material that way.

5. Member
    Great idea

I made a lightweight frame out of 2x2 and closed cell extruded foam, painted it with thick oil based paint to seal it, then carpeted it and used a piano hinge to mount it to the original seat base. Seat is then mounted to the spacer, raising the seat 1.5 inches. I also added an extra inch of foam to the seat itself when I reupholstered it. Boat is a 1994 Stratos 201. Also, I'm 6 foot tall, and I found the 1.5 inch increase in seat height to be much more comfortable.

7. Member
    Update on raising seats up.......I went with the rubber disks cut with a hole saw (4.5"). I mounted them and it raised them about 2.75" roughly. After sitting them, even with rubber disks for each screw mount(3 to be exact), I was not pleased with the unstableness of the seats. So, I decided to go back to the original mounting and not raised them.

8. Member
    I put aftermarket seats in my 19ss and it felt like I sat too low. I built a frame out of 2x4s and marine plywood. I then carpeted it to match and attached it to the seat base. It also gave me the ability to make under seat storage. Turned out to be much more comfortable and with convenient storage.