ordering new 819 suggestions?

im ordering a 819 and am wondering what options are must haves here is what i have so far. Proxs 200, 2-helix 10’s, ultrex what length shaft do u guys recommended? Rachet tie downs. Dual console, 4 bank charger, cover. Also comsidering padded deck and integrated wiring harness. Is a channel frame better? Dealer said $200 option but likes the tube frame trailers better he says they are stronger. Anything else i should consider?
    1998 Champion 171 90 HP Mercury

2. Member
    I ordered my 819 the begining of March. These are the options i got. I deleted the electronics. Ive already irdered a boat in a box from Cabelas, bluewater LEDs from the classic and motormate from the Classic.

OPTIONS
    Second console
    Padded carpet
    Integrated wiring
    3 bank charger
    C channel frame
    Sc1000 Merc gauge
    Padded cooler
    Laser cut trailer
    Ratchet tie downs
    Atlas jackplate
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    channel frame and paint over gatorhide are must haves for me.

4. Banned
    All the above

-Ultrex with 45” shaft is plenty long unless you fish the Great Lakes. I figure if I need a longer shaft, then it’s too rough for me to be out there.

-Channel frame trailer is supposedly just as strong as tube frame, but you don’t have to worry about it rusting from the inside out like a tube frame. I plan to keep my Bird for a long time, so I opted for the C-Channel for longevity. In theory it should also pull smoother, because it flexes more.

—If I were getting an 819, the following would be a must:
    -Ultrex 112 with IPilot Link
    -Humminbird graphs linked to Ultrex
    -Lower gauge dash shroud upgrade for your Helix 10 at the console
    -4 bank charger
    -Group 31 AGM cranking battery
    -MercMonitor
    -Padded deck and cooler lid
    -Dual rod buckles each side front deck
    -C-Channel frame trailer
    -Paint over gatorhyde on trailer
    -Ratchet transom tie downs
    -Hamby’s keel protector
    -Chrome “Phoenix” decals

—Other nice upgrades I would consider, but not necessarily must haves (I did get them on my 919 though ):
    -Trick Step
    -Shocks on trailer
    -Laser “Phoenix” cutout trailer steps
    -Integrated wiring system
    -Extra bilge pump
    -F2 winch and jack

Everyone has different needs and wants, but that’s my $0.02.

Oh, I almost forgot. I was originally looking at the 819... but when you load all of these extra options on, it gets really close to the 919 in price. Then it hit me that the 919 comes standard with a bunch of that stuff, and you get a better value than ordering them a la carte on the 819. I decided that it was silly to get a dolled up 819, when I could get the 919 equipped the same for just a little more. For the record though, there is nothing wrong with an 819... it’s a helluva boat in it’s own right.
    Last edited by Ozark Phoenix; 03-24-2018 at 09:14 AM.
    2018 Phoenix 919 Pro XP, 225 Pro XS

Ultrex 112#, Helix 10s, NightFishion HD-8

”Midnight Special”

6. Member
    Padded front deck is a must and so is the fortrex. Trick step is nice too. Dual axel trailer. Also I 2nd what Ozark said. By the Time you add everything it's pretty close to the price of the 919. I went with the 919 and love it. That extra 25hp is nice too if you like the speed. I hit 78.5 on my 919 Thursday with a good tail wind.
    2021 caymas cx21

7. Member
    Thanks for the answers. Is paint over gatorhide worth it? Wahat is the cost? Also is a merc monitor a necessity?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Templgre View Post
    Thanks for the answers. Is paint over gatorhide worth it? Wahat is the cost? Also is a merc monitor a necessity?
    My dealer pretty much insisted that i get the paint over gaterhyde. I think itvwas like 150 charge.

I got old style square merc monitor. Initially I thought i ordered the tech style. When i went change it my dealer said that he would order what ever i wanted but couldnt justify it to me, so i left it with the square style. The digital merc monitor is like a 600 dollar upgrade. i spoke to Jeff at the plant and he stated that he and the other guys at the plant run the square gauge. I plan on doing the vessel view once i get the boat as well. If you read on the merc forums they will tell you your dumb to get the old style. Youll have to decide.
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

C-channel flexes more, but the tube type can rust inside out.

C-channel
    Dual axle brakes
    2nd set of rod straps
    Pass console (atleast get the hardware installed)
    Ped mount in the cockpit floor

I didn't go paint over mainly because my trailers look like crud from living on a gravel road

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Templgre View Post
    This is why you should get paint over the gatorhyde... http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=890732. I don’t remember exactly, but I think it was $200 or $250, and you get pin stripes with it.

To me, a MercMonitor is an easy way to monitor your temp and keep a close eye on everything else going on with your motor. It will alert you of any problems, etc. I see it as peace of mind and insurance because you will know exactly what’s going on with your motor at all times.
    2018 Phoenix 919 Pro XP, 225 Pro XS

Ultrex 112#, Helix 10s, NightFishion HD-8

”Midnight Special”

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    In my opinion get at least the Level 1 Merc Monitor....I think it worth the $600....can also give you alarms on motor.....I added it to mine after the fact....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    Thanks everyone dealer told me smartcraft was only $300 so im going to do that and he said paint over gatorhyde was $300 so im going back and forth on that one.

13. Scraps
    Brakes on the second axle and shocks. I got the paint over GHyde only cuzz I wanted the pinstriped trailer.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Scraps
    PS I don't know where these dealers get their info re: the channel v. tube trailer. One thing is for certain, the tube trailer will not remain strong over it's life. It will start to corrode from the inside, out, and will die due to sudden and catastrophic failure.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

15. Member
    Hambys

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    PS I don't know where these dealers get their info re: the channel v. tube trailer. One thing is for certain, the tube trailer will not remain strong over it's life. It will start to corrode from the inside, out, and will die due to sudden and catastrophic failure.
    Agreed. Tube trailers