Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Megabass one ten special and similar Jerkbait Rods

Hey Guys,

I find myself throwing a stupid amount of jerkbaits for smallies these days, I had a few days last year where I threw nothing but one lure all day and put 24+lbs in the boat...the problem was that the rod I had been using was borrowed from a friend and IMO it sucked (thats why he lent it to me lol) I was using it out of necessity after breaking 2 of my other baitcast rods.

But I am back in the market for a Jerkbait specific rod. I throw a lot of vision 110 style jerkbaits specifically the Nishine Erie 115 MD on the great lakes.

Ive tried throwing them on a spinnerbait specific rod once my buddy needed the crap rod back and I learned a few things.

I need a rod with a longer butt end/handle because the crap rod i was using had a short handle and it ended up absolutely destroying my ribs after day of "jerking" lol. I liked the 7 foot or close there to it rod to cut down on some of the fatigue of doing the jerk in cadence all day. That extra bit of length and softer tip helps a ton.

I still want to be able to bomb casts and get the lures down deep to pull up smallies outta 20+FOW. remember im fishing Georgian bay the majority of my fishing is in wide open water near structure, accuracy is nowhere near as important as casting distance.

The Megabass Orichi line has the 110 special but a $600 Canadian after tax rod is definitely out of my price range, so what would you guys suggest as something with a comparable action/feel that cuts back on the budget a little bit.

Price range? lets say up to $300USD but definitely no more than that.

Shimano Expride 6’10 M, if you can find one.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    The new Orochi XX's are $300 US (http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...1066_2694_2695). You shouldn't have to pay more than $400+tax for one in the GTA. If not, ping the guys at TackleTrap to have them ship you one.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 03-23-2018 at 06:15 PM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

The new Megabass Orochi XX Jerkbait Special is longer than previous model. The retail price is unchanged with the release of the new models.

5. Member
    The lucky craft jerk bait rod is legit if you can find one

6. Member
    I believe you are looking at the X4 110 special for that price.

Try to find an Orochi XX jerkbait special as mentioned above. I have the first gen and absolutely love it. The newest one is 6’11 but I have no doubt it would be just as good of a rod. Pro J in Toronto should have them or at least be getting some soon. I’d contact them to see. Or ask on that other forum we are part of and maybe one of their guys will chime in.

7. Member
    Falcon has a "trap caster" (7' MH/Mod Fast) model in some of their rods. I have the Bucoo micro. I've used it to throw jerkbaits because I refused to have a rod "dedicated" to my least favorite way to fish - but it's a solid option.

8. Member

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    Was going to recommend this but he said he prefers a 7' rod.

10. Member
    Dobyns 704cb champion xp

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p2geo View Post
    Shimano Expride 6’10 M, if you can find one.

12. Member
    How does the GLoomis jerkbait rod compare to the Megabass orochi jerkbait rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wonderful View Post
    Was going to recommend this but he said he prefers a 7' rod.
    The Kelley Jaye Jerkbait rod from ALX Rods is 1" shorter working length than most normal 7' rods. So by that, it would fish more like a 6'11".

The KJJ has a 8.5" handle (butt to back edge of reel seat): 81" - 8.5" = 72.5" working length. A standard 7' rod with a 10.5" handle: 84" - 10.5" = 73.5" working length

Yes we really go into that type of detail when designing rods.

IMO opinion that ought to throw it in the mix. Plus you don't have a bunch butt in the way hanging up on clothes, forearms, etc when working the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    How does the GLoomis jerkbait rod compare to the Megabass orochi jerkbait rod?
    Would like to know that as well. Very close to buying a IMX pro 812 so you're question is interesting to me.

15. Member
    thanks for all of the info guys...one thing im noticing is that a lot of these jerkbait rods have crazy short handles...i would understand this if you are specifically completing your cadence using your wrist, but how does this allow you to plant the rod to your side and pull longer strokes. Maybe most people fish their jerkbaits different than me?

Those ALX rods look perfect but that short handle would literally destroy my wrists/ribs after a day of hard pulling jerkbaits through deep water.

I realize now that I was definitely looking at the 4x destroyers and not the Orochi's. Problem with the Orochi's is that after shipping im basically back to a $400 rod which is a bit out of my price range unless someone is selling them in the GTA. Ill have to check Pro J to see whats going on.

keep the suggestions coming! That expride actually looks really nice...

any particular reason? is it the tip+power combo of them?

16. rjw11111
    flat side special is same action as jerkbait special just longer

17. Member
    The new powell endurance 725cb is perfect for jerkbait smallies.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRISONER View Post
    thanks for all of the info guys...one thing im noticing is that a lot of these jerkbait rods have crazy short handles...i would understand this if you are specifically completing your cadence using your wrist, but how does this allow you to plant the rod to your side and pull longer strokes. Maybe most people fish their jerkbaits different than me?

Those ALX rods look perfect but that short handle would literally destroy my wrists/ribs after a day of hard pulling jerkbaits through deep water.

I realize now that I was definitely looking at the 4x destroyers and not the Orochi's. Problem with the Orochi's is that after shipping im basically back to a $400 rod which is a bit out of my price range unless someone is selling them in the GTA. Ill have to check Pro J to see whats going on.

keep the suggestions coming! That expride actually looks really nice...

any particular reason? is it the tip+power combo of them?

Yes - you are using a different technique than majority. You are pulling, not jerking. Most folks are doing something more like this: (ZOLO Deputy featured as the EXPERT Jerkbait didn't exist at filming).

Sounds a lot more like how many work a crankbait - and our crankbait rods have long handles specifically to rest them against your side and pull all day... crank it down... pull.... crank.. pull... that longer handle is a HUGE help. Get where you are coming from.

19. Member
    Pro J should have them. If they don’t, they will soon!

But yes, what is in the video before is how many jerkbait which explains the shorter handle. I think I fish jerkbaits similarly to you but I also use braid so I don’t need to be so aggressive with cadence to move the bait as far.

20. Member
    ya i think i invented my own way to fish them, i dont really do "long strokes" if I were to guestimate, the bait probably makes 6 shakes per pull, basically enough to feel the bait engage and zip, and then pause much like a lipless really. im really goofy though because I am not actually right handed but i reel with my right hand. Hence i pretty much brace the rod against my side and hold the grip and pull across my body in fast pulses and then pause.

Maybe the described crankbait rod is more up my alley? I never realized people worked crankbaits so aggressively though, ive always been wary of a lack of power...hence spinnerbait rods have somewhat done the trick up until now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast