Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hendrick View Post
    That statement is dead on. Ike doesn't do much of anything that pertains to respect.

2. Member
    Fair enough and thank you for responding. So to make it more analogous, 2 fisherman in the same area, one is leading and the other is in 20th position (like in the classic) what makes it necessary for the one who should move...weight he is behind, or the fact he's in 20th place? What is considered the magic weight, at which one should move...5, 10, 15, 20lbs back? Or, is it simply the place he is in on the last day? I'm really am curious about these unwritten rules. I've heard this before on here, but have never really heard any specification regarding these "rules." I understand the "not crowding people" and if I'm correct that is written into the rules of most tournaments. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RdnckYnkee250 View Post
    Thats a completely different scenario. If both fishermen had been fishing the same area throughout the tourney and both had something on the line like your example then have at it. That wasn’t the case in this situation and BP did what anyone should do. Unfortunately there’s too many guys with the screw you mentality these days.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    It's a competitive situation and making it about some idea of a lack of morals when someone is following all of the rules of the competition is ridiculous. If something is "what anyone should do" then it should be a documented rule. Having to decide based on 100 variables when it's ok or not ok to compete is also ridiculous. One or two big bites could have moved Brandon much further in the end results. What he did was nice, but it wouldn't have been "immoral" if he made a different decision.
    I completely agree with this. It is not a "moral" issue at all. Plus, we are talking about a couple hundred yards. That's a big area and easily big enough for 2 fishermen.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

4. Member
    I would not have let Jason in the area until he promised to use a Senko.

5. Member
    The bottom line is, BP did what HE felt was morally right. If I were 11lbs behind on the last day like he was and I was fishing the same area as the leader, I'd absolutely let them have that spot. But it would also be a personal challenge to me...I know what kind of area has the right fish, so I would challenge myself to find another spot just like it. Then it would be how to catch the bigger fish (since I clearly wasn't the first 2 days). In fairness, I've had that courtesy extended to me by a boater before (when I was a non-boater). I was 1 fish away from a top 5, and my boater hadn't caught anything. So the last 2-1/2 hours he said "boat is yours, tell me where to go." I ended up never catching that 5th fish, but we both tried.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

6. Member
    That was very nice of him to do that for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    The bottom line is, BP did what HE felt was morally right. If I were 11lbs behind on the last day like he was and I was fishing the same area as the leader, I'd absolutely let them have that spot. But it would also be a personal challenge to me...I know what kind of area has the right fish, so I would challenge myself to find another spot just like it. Then it would be how to catch the bigger fish (since I clearly wasn't the first 2 days). In fairness, I've had that courtesy extended to me by a boater before (when I was a non-boater). I was 1 fish away from a top 5, and my boater hadn't caught anything. So the last 2-1/2 hours he said "boat is yours, tell me where to go." I ended up never catching that 5th fish, but we both tried.

7. Member
    Having ridden with Brandon once and knowing him for the last few years, it doesn't surprise me. Brandon's style of fishing is quite a bit different than most. It could be he felt he had little to gain fishing there. Brandon fishes like an elk guide who has really done his homework. When he pulls onto a place he is after a specific fish. Hard thing to describe if you haven't ridden with him. If he thinks someone caught the fish he was after, he won't be back there to see if another takes it's place. His style of fishing is pretty unique. I've ridden with many guys over the years, none that fish anything near close to the way he fishes.

8. Member
    I thought I heard during BASS Live that Christie was fishing one of the areas he won the FLW tour event out of. Wonder if this was the same area. I forget the angler but I was listening to an interview on Bass Talk Live talking about how back in the day when they returned to lakes guys would respect spots guys previously found. Doesn’t happen anymore obviously or perhaps it did in this case?

Classy move by BP in any case. Surprised how many guys on here are saying he should have fished it on day 3.
    Pretty sad.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

9. Member
    I went back and reread the story. By the writers account he found out later that BP hadn't planned on going back there anyway on day 3. Question; Did BP decide to just make a move in order to perhaps gain ground and since he wasn't going there anyways the writer assumed it was a class act that would make for good press? BP didn't state to the writer that i can see that it was an act of class and giving way for JC because BP couldn't catch him anyway. On day two the writer said JC went past BP deeper in the cove and fished a brushpile that BP was going to fish later. Was JC going in deeper and fishing that brushpile a class act? I'm thinking the writer saw an opportunity to write something and went with it. I'm in no way saying these guys aren't all class acts cause I don't know them like some of you do.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    I went back and reread the story. By the writers account he found out later that BP hadn't planned on going back there anyway on day 3. Question; Did BP decide to just make a move in order to perhaps gain ground and since he wasn't going there anyways the writer assumed it was a class act that would make for good press? BP didn't state to the writer that i can see that it was an act of class and giving way for JC because BP couldn't catch him anyway. On day two the writer said JC went past BP deeper in the cove and fished a brushpile that BP was going to fish later. Was JC going in deeper and fishing that brushpile a class act? I'm thinking the writer saw an opportunity to write something and went with it. I'm in no way saying these guys aren't all class acts cause I don't know them like some of you do.
    “I didn’t even consider it,” Palaniuk said. “Jason was leading.”

Based on that quote it is pretty evident he didn’t fish it on day 3 because Christie was leading. Standard etiquette
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

11. Banned

I mentioned that brushpile part and got nothing but crickets...

12. Member
    To me, it seems much of this "unwritten rule" stuff is random. I've asked several questions that have gone unanswered, yet some individuals seem so sure of these "rules" when they post. Crickets may speak volumes about the "rules."
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I mentioned that brushpile part and got nothing but crickets...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JStratosB View Post
    “I didn’t even consider it,” Palaniuk said. “Jason was leading.”

Based on that quote it is pretty evident he didn’t fish it on day 3 because Christie was leading. Standard etiquette
    Didn't see that, good catch. Your thoughts on the brushpile?

I think day 1 and 2 most sports are fair game and get hit or shared. I think on day 3 and 4 or final day of Classic a lot of guys would do what BP did. I see fishing a brushpile in an area two anglers are fishing fishing different than fishing it on final day while that angler is out of contention.

15. Member
    I read it that BP was in his primary spot and JC had it as a secondary spot on day 1 and 2. I don't understand it all but seems the unwritten etiquette rule would dictate the second angler asking but like i said i don't understand it all. I have never been one to be bitter over a fishing spot so if they're all happy then i'm not going to tell them they are wrong.

16. Member
    What BP said, “I didn’t even consider it,” Palaniuk said. “Jason was leading.” What BBC wishes he had said, "I didn't even consider it after that turd went in there and trashed my brushpile"!!

What BP said, “I didn’t even consider it,” Palaniuk said. “Jason was leading.” What BBC wishes he had said, "I didn't even consider it after that turd went in there and trashed my brushpile"!!

Hell I was barely good enough to watch from my couch much less give them any advice....lol

18. Banned

19. Member
    He did the right thing.

20. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    It's BP's obligation to his family and his sponsors to place as high as he can especially in the Classic. He should have fished the flat if that was in his game plan.
    I disagree. What do you think is going to bring BP and his sponsors more positive press and exposure? Finishing 20th instead of 22nd, or being known for being a class act?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast