New smoker being buit, when he's not taking photos with it...

Having a custom reverse flow cabinet smoker being built, quality takes time, so does taking photos all the time and sending them to tease me! lol.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Looks like it will hold some meat. I contemplated doing a reverse flow cabinet but think I’m gonna build a gravity feed cooker instead.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    Looks like it will hold some meat. I contemplated doing a reverse flow cabinet but think I’m gonna build a gravity feed cooker instead.
    I'm going to have a gravity feed built for home use, we did this one because of space on our vending trailer. In the fall we are building another this size so we can have two on the porch of it so we will be running dual 36w x 30d x60t smokers as our trailer is 8 foot wide and we wanted to maximize space. We do have a rotisserie smoker that is a monster to work on next, turning that into a whole hog unit on a separate trailer with partial kitchen space.

These reverse flows will hold 60lbs of charcoal and wood where a gravity would be limited with the size restraints we have.

Woulda cost 3 x's as much , but shoulda done it in Stainless Steel. But , that right there will work just fine

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatrazor View Post
    Woulda cost 3 x's as much , but shoulda done it in Stainless Steel. But , that right there will work just fine
    Yeah, doing it this way is expensive enough. Plus we plan on vinyl wrapping it this summer so SS wouldn't get seen much.

6. Member
    Given your situation the build makes sense. I just get bored over time with the smokers I have and eventually start wanting something different hence my gravity feed build. Probably only building it big enough to fit three or four full size pans.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

That's some smoker.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    Given your situation the build makes sense. I just get bored over time with the smokers I have and eventually start wanting something different hence my gravity feed build. Probably only building it big enough to fit three or four full size pans.
    I definitely want a gravity feed unit to play around with, but when these RF models can hold temp for 30+ hours on a load of coal it's hard to commit to a GF for any other reason than to just have something different.

9. Member
    Looks great. How will your airflow routing be designed?

I can see the smoke channel on the back from the firebox and the one vent/chimney in the back.

Does this create enough airflow of the smoke/heat, so meat toward door is the same as meat in the back?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    Looks great. How will your airflow routing be designed?

I can see the smoke channel on the back from the firebox and the one vent/chimney in the back.

Does this create enough airflow of the smoke/heat, so meat toward door is the same as meat in the back?
    Firebox is under the smoke chamber. There is a gap all the way around the top of the smoke chamber where smoke/heat enters. The smoke stack is ran down to the bottom grate to pull air and smoke downward. Everything in this smoker has a 2" wrapping of insulation, making this smoker hold heat very easily. We will be utilizing a BBQ guru unit to aid in air flow and control our temperatures during the cook. I'll see if I can find a picture of another unit where you can see the gap better.

Quote Originally Posted by glfgd82 View Post
    Having a custom reverse flow cabinet smoker being built, quality takes time, so does taking photos all the time and sending them to tease me! lol.

He looks like he will be tough. Maybe soak in beer for a day or two.

Looks real nice.
    I got nothin

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn View Post
    He looks like he will be tough. Maybe soak in beer for a day or two.

Looks real nice.
    Pretty positive he's been soaking enough beer during this project, probably why it's taking soo long :D