custom lure painting

I'm looking to have a couple Spro BBZ-1 swimbaits custom painted and was wondering if anyone knows a company or person who would do something like this for a reasonable price? I found one place online, but they were wanting $32-$40 a piece ($8.00 per inch and the BBZ-1 is just over 4 1/2 inches). I've bought some custom painted crankbaits from Paul Krew, but I don't see anything about him custom painting swimbaits. Any help would be appreciated.

Quality isn’t cheap. You get what you pay for. A lot of the really nice paint jobs take time to do.

3. Member
    juice780...I agree with what you said, but if I can buy a custom painted Rapala DT10 from Paul Krew for less than $20 (and that includes the lure itself), I just find it hard to pay $30-$40 just for the paint job on a bait I already bought for $20. Obviously there are people willing to pay that much, but I just think that's a bit high for me.

For that swimbait it probably takes at least an hour of work if it’s a good paint jobs. You add in cost of materials. How much do you make an hour where you work?

5. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Matthew Smoot - (PII Magnum)
    http://www.bbcboards.net/member.php?u=8356

i remember when he started painting baits over 10 years ago - has gotten really good since then ..
    highly recommend !

-Steve Clark

"Success is never owned, it is rented, and the rent is due every day."

6. Member
    Look, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers. I understand that the people who custom paint lures aren't in it just for the fun...they plan to make money doing it. I just feel like paying $30-$40 per lure is above what I want to pay to have someone do it. If another person has the money and wants to pay that much, good for them. I'm just trying to get a couple baits repainted at a cost that is reasonable to me, that's all. If Spro made the BBZ-1 in a bluegill color, I'd just buy one for $20 and be done with it. But they don't. And I don't use the bait enough to justify spending $50-$60 per lure between the bait and getting it repainted.

7. Member
    sclark, thank you for the help! I have bookmarked his website and it appears like he has what I'm looking for with regards to color schemes and pricing. Thanks!

8. Member
    Corey go to bercustompainting.net and get ahold of Bob. He has done a lot of work for me and does great work. Not sure about that bait but he will be as reasonable as you will find.

9. Comanche warrior MassBass320v's Avatar
    I've never had him paint a swimbait, but Ray Smith of Razor Custom Lures paints the nicest baits I've ever seen. Usually charges $6 to paint a crankbait that I provide. He buys blanks and paints them and usually charges $12 depending on the bait. I've seen BBZ unpainted blanks online so that might save you some money. Find Razor on Facebook
    __________________________________________________ __
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I'm looking to have a couple Spro BBZ-1 swimbaits custom painted and was wondering if anyone knows a company or person who would do something like this for a reasonable price? I found one place online, but they were wanting $32-$40 a piece ($8.00 per inch and the BBZ-1 is just over 4 1/2 inches). I've bought some custom painted crankbaits from Paul Krew, but I don't see anything about him custom painting swimbaits. Any help would be appreciated.
    Paul doesnt custom paint baits.. He gets Dwain to paint those baits and Paul just sells them..
    Ive painted some BBZs in the past, but yea the bigger they are the more it costs...
    lewisboat.com
    Omega Custom Tackle
    Lewis Pro Team
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite