Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Thanks for the links Scott that is definitely interesting, I’ll definitely be at the meeting next Thursday

Maybe, Kentucky could start a program funded by the fishermen in the state that will pay commercial fishermen to catch these carp and kill them. The state could raise 100's of thousand's of dollars per year to pay to have these fish caught and destroyed. I would gladly give $100.00 to the fund every year. If we all gave $100.00 think of the amount of cash that would be banked up to pay the commercial guys to catch them.

Also I would think there could be some way to utilize these fish,,,, Lets make dog food or fertilizer from them.

We would never catch them all but we could put a dent in the population

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanknbass View Post
    Maybe, Kentucky could start a program funded by the fishermen in the state that will pay commercial fishermen to catch these carp and kill them. The state could raise 100's of thousand's of dollars per year to pay to have these fish caught and destroyed. I would gladly give $100.00 to the fund every year. If we all gave $100.00 think of the amount of cash that would be banked up to pay the commercial guys to catch them.

Also I would think there could be some way to utilize these fish,,,, Lets make dog food or fertilizer from them.

We would never catch them all but we could put a dent in the population
    I think to a certain extent thats already happened. I believe there is at least 1 commercial fishing operation over there thats gvt funded. Or at least started with gvt funds. Asian carp are supposed to be an excellent eating fish and is very sought after over seas. In the states the restaurants which serve the fish change the name to Silver fin or something like that as most people dont associate carp with a good eating fish.

I think the feed aspect is also being done to a certain extent. Havent read up on it in quite some time so unsure how much the industry for it has changed.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I think to a certain extent thats already happened. I believe there is at least 1 commercial fishing operation over there thats gvt funded. Or at least started with gvt funds. Asian carp are supposed to be an excellent eating fish and is very sought after over seas. In the states the restaurants which serve the fish change the name to Silver fin or something like that as most people dont associate carp with a good eating fish.

I think the feed aspect is also being done to a certain extent. Havent read up on it in quite some time so unsure how much the industry for it has changed.
    Right. Several restaurants pushing it. I believe the KY State Parks restaurant are calling it "KY Lake Snapper."

It's a bit of a slippery slope though, you build a great commercial fishery around the fish and then when a means is found to eradicate them, then you end up with resistance to eradicating them. You get guys making a living off of a particular fish, and then you want to totally kill that fish, you end up with protests and such. The sooner a means of eradication is found, the better...I say put the money towards that more than anything.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post

It's a bit of a slippery slope though, you build a great commercial fishery around the fish and then when a means is found to eradicate them, then you end up with resistance to eradicating them. You get guys making a living off of a particular fish, and then you want to totally kill that fish, you end up with protests and such. The sooner a means of eradication is found, the better...I say put the money towards that more than anything.
    That is a good point and I agree its better to get rid of them sooner rather than later. Seems if there is enough of a market for them they could be raised commercially. Ive been wanting to try it but unsure if anywhere in Louisville sells it..

6. Banned
    That is a good point and I agree its better to get rid of them sooner rather than later. Seems if there is enough of a market for them they could be raised commercially.
    The price simply isn't there. It's a lot of work for what little reward you get, most commercial guys are going to go after fish with a higher market price that require a lot less work....therein lies the problem.

If you can't lure fishermen into the market due to price, you certainly aren't going to turn any profit raising them commercially unless heavily subsidized. There's way more money in raising fish like tilapia than there ever would be with asian carp. Shoot there's a tilapia farm being built now near KY Lake in Draffenville. Money is the key to everything.

7. Member
    The price simply isn't there. It's a lot of work for what little reward you get, most commercial guys are going to go after fish with a higher market price that require a lot less work....therein lies the problem.

If you can't lure fishermen into the market due to price, you certainly aren't going to turn any profit raising them commercially unless heavily subsidized. There's way more money in raising fish like tilapia than there ever would be with asian carp. Shoot there's a tilapia farm being built now near KY Lake in Draffenville. Money is the key to everything.
    But I was thinking that over seas this fish was considered a delicacy and highly sought after. Seems I thought a majority of the harvest was transported out of the country to maybe japan or somewhere. Is there still not enough $$ in that market to justify a commercial market ?

8. Member
    To control Pikeminnow numbers in the Columbia up here there is a bounty on them. There are a number of people that make over $50K catching them. Been doing the 'bounty' for quite a few years now and it seems to control the numbers but even there it has gotten heated as guys see others as a 'threat' to their livelihood.
    Wouldn't work for the Asian Carp though. Too many of them. Unfortunately they are probably here to stay. And that will affect all other fisheries and have the effect of changing fishing in those areas that are loaded with them. Not good. Hey! We could send you guys a bunch of seals!

9. Member
    But I was thinking that over seas this fish was considered a delicacy and highly sought after. Seems I thought a majority of the harvest was transported out of the country to maybe japan or somewhere. Is there still not enough $$ in that market to justify a commercial market ?
    There is a commercial market that sends them overseas.

10. Banned
    I don't know how much fish paste is sold in the U.S., but that's what it's going towards. They grind it up and make a fish paste called surimi, which is commonly sold as an imitation crab meat.

11. Banned
    I encourage everyone to go to the meeting tomorrow:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=892292

12. Member
    Are we sure that the Asian Carp is truly coveted and considered a delicacy in other parts of the world? I’m not so sure about that. People may eat it but I’ve yet to read where there is great unsatisfied demand for this prolific fish in other areas of the world.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    Are we sure that the Asian Carp is truly coveted and considered a delicacy in other parts of the world? I’m not so sure about that. People may eat it but I’ve yet to read where there is great unsatisfied demand for this prolific fish in other areas of the world.
    Chinese love carp.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    Are we sure that the Asian Carp is truly coveted and considered a delicacy in other parts of the world?
    No. It's a cheap fish to make into surimi, the flavor added by the Asian Carp is supposed to make it taste a little more pleasant.

You can try surimi yourself at your local grocery store, $1 a pack at Walmart:

15. Banned

16. Member
    Speaks to the love of our now problem carp in China. I believe they like to make soup out of them.

https://www.aqsiq.net/news-asian-carp.htm
    https://artifactsjournal.missouri.ed...-with-cutlery/

I don't know how much fish paste is sold in the U.S., but that's what it's going towards. They grind it up and make a fish paste called surimi, which is commonly sold as an imitation crab meat.
    I would love to attend the meeting, however I am 5.5 hours from the meeting hall. I will be down there in two weeks hoping to catch a few and avoid those carp.

18. Member
    I saw spots like this all day long during the Jeta last weekend

17811.jpg

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjgarret View Post
    I saw spots like this all day long during the Jeta last weekend

17811.jpg
    Is all of that along the bottom carp? Man if so thats a shame.

20. Member
    Yes, way out to the left and the right. Went on for several hundred yards.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast